Speaker Placement for small room

audioman999

Speaker Placement for small room
« on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:50 am »
I recently came to realize that my speaker placement was probably not ideal.  I just plopped the speakers down, tried to bring them out from the wall about 2 feet from the front of the speaker and 2 feet from the side.  I have been spending some time with my system to try and get it set up as well as possible in my room before making additional upgrades or room treatments.

My problem is that I have a very small room 9'W x 12'D.  I have book shelves along one wall that stick out about 14", not sure if that counts as a wall when placing the speakers or not.  I have tried the measurements on the Cardas website and they seem to have me sitting about 3-4 feet from the speakers which seems a little strange.  So,

1.  Are the cardas calculations for a minimum sized room?
2.  When calculating the distance from the wall, should i calculate from the wall or the bookshelves?
3.  Is there a minimum amount of separation for speakers?  Currently they are approx. 4' apart which seems a little close.
4.  Are there any other guidelines like Cardas which would work in a smaller room.

I am driving Totem Model 1 sig's with a bryston integrated amp.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

niels

Re: Speaker Placement for small room
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:35 pm »
Well, the Cardas method works wonders I think, speakers disappear leaving the music, but you are right, it seems very strange at first.
You may want to check out the Audio Physic method also, it focuses on the long wall in your room.

audioman999

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2009, 01:03 am »
Thanks,  I'll look into that.  unfortunately, the Cardas method simply isn't practical in a room my size.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:43 pm »
I'll second the vote for the Audio Physic long wall placement method. I have been using this method in my current room for the last 7 years with excellent results. My room is a bit bigger than yours; 16'7" y 12'7". That is still considered a small/medium size room. The speakers are B&w Matrix 804 series 1.

Speakers are almost halfway into the room; approximately 73". Speakers are 8' apart. Couch is right against the back wall. Speakers are almost 40" from the side walls. Speakers are toed in and cross just behind my head.

This setup gives me a wide panoramic sound stage where instruments are in perfect focus and easily localized. Bass is tight without bloat or overhang. The speakers easily disappear with decent recordings.

Visiting non-audiophiles have been *shocked* when I sit them down (eyes closed) and I cue up a demo playlist.

I do have room some treatment: Real traps.

Cheers