Media player for FLAC & 24/96 downloads?

chrisby

Media player for FLAC & 24/96 downloads?
« on: 7 Jan 2009, 11:10 pm »
I'm considering subscription to a service like HDTracks, and would like of course to take advantage of the higher rez formats available currently and in the future.   

For new non-geek iMac or MacBook owners, are there any recommendations for media players that will support the higher resolution formats, as well as accommodate relatively simple conversion of existing iTunes playlists, and integrate with Airtunes, or a similar wireless server?   

The (almost) painless integration of iTunes and Airtunes is very convenient, but from an audiophile perspective, the sonic resolution could be better.  Is there a technical limitation with Toslink output of Airport Express that would render using higher resolution streams moot - in other words do I need a substantial hardware & software upgrade at both ends of the system?

mattyturner

Re: Media player for FLAC & 24/96 downloads?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2009, 11:28 pm »
iTunes supports any res you want.

Unfortuantely itunes will sample everything to 16/44.1 regardless of what it is.

However most places like HD tracks have 16/44.1 downloads as well as the higher rates.

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2009, 11:30 pm »
Yes and (unfortunately) no. Play will play hi-rez flac files, but will not integrate with Airtunes. For that matter, nothing else will integrate with Airtunes. Conversely, Airtunes (and associated hardware: AEx and ATV) does not support hi-rez files. Hardware-wise, the Transporter supports 24/96, but does not receive its feed from Airtunes.

Unfortunately, the only solution to your query is to go wired straight from your computer.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm »
Unfortuantely itunes will sample everything to 16/44.1 regardless of what it is.

Correct, if you're using Airtunes (due to the limitations of the receiving hardware). Otherwise it will output hi-rez files in their native resolution via toslink, USB, and firewire.

chrisby

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2009, 05:50 am »
So until Apple's wireless  supports higher res files (the same year that GM again dominates the global auto market?  :o ) an outboard DAC accepting hardwired input (Firewire/ USB2) is the only option, regardless of what media player software is used?

AEx is   convenient, but the sonic compromises are not something I'm eager to live with.

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2009, 12:25 pm »
AEx is   convenient, but the sonic compromises are not something I'm eager to live with.

And that's the crux of it: convenience. Same is the case with the Squeezebox, Sonos, etc. In my setup, for example, my 'man cave' system is hardwired straight from a computer. This same computer, however, streams to several AExs and ATVs throughout my household. Other issues to consider are consistent wifi throughput availability for hi-rez (4.6 mbps and 9.2 mbps for 24/96 and 24/192, respectively) and the audiophile concern of RFI in wireless systems. Even the Transporter, which supports 24/96 via wifi, suggests using a wired ethernet connection for hi-rez retrieval.

With the majority (99%+) of current recordings available at a mere 16/44.1, hi-rez wireless capability would be nice but I don't see it as a sonic compromise.

pardales

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:03 pm »
I have always used a wired connection from my computer to my system, though I use a wifi network for internet radio. I'd love to get some 24/96 stuff from HD Tracks but did not think I could play that stuff back through iTunes as it appears to mostly be encoded in FLAC.

Can I play those 24/96 files back through iTunes in some way?

Rashiki

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:09 pm »
I don't like the way iTunes organizes my music, so I often end up using Cog http://cogx.org/ as an audio player. It does support flac, as well as several other formats. I use an external USB DAC which is capable of handling files up to 24bit/96kHz.

-Rob

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:11 pm »
I have always used a wired connection from my computer to my system, though I use a wifi network for internet radio. I'd love to get some 24/96 stuff from HD Tracks but did not think I could play that stuff back through iTunes as it appears to mostly be encoded in FLAC.

You can use Cog or Play for playback, or you can use Max to convert to a different format and import to iTunes, or you can use the Fluke plug-in for iTunes that enables it to play flac files. Lots of options!

pardales

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2009, 04:57 pm »

You can use Cog or Play for playback, or you can use Max to convert to a different format and import to iTunes, or you can use the Fluke plug-in for iTunes that enables it to play flac files. Lots of options!

Thanks! I prefer not to have a different player as I am fine with iTunes. Is the Fluke plug-in pretty seamless once installed?

Crimson

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2009, 05:12 pm »

Thanks! I prefer not to have a different player as I am fine with iTunes. Is the Fluke plug-in pretty seamless once installed?

I can't say having never tried it. What I personally do is convert to AIFF using Max, and then import to iTunes. I do this because my entire library is in AIFF and I prefer to keep things consistent.

tunes

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2009, 04:37 pm »
I was all set to buy the Wadia iTransport over a Mac computer for just use as a music server for my headphone system but then realized I could not get the higher quality sample rate off the ipod. Is this really true? See below:

Wadia iTransport and HD Tracks 24/96 Content

Is there a way to get the new HD Tracks 24/96 Content on to my ipod so that the Wadia iTtransport can resolve the information and export it bit perfect my Benchmark DAC 1 pre???

No, not without changing the sampling rate.
iPod's will play 24-bit audio, but not with sampling rate above 48KHz."

Is this true and if so is there a work around to allow use of the Wadia. Otherwise I will just have to buy another Mac laptop just for this purpose?????

Crimson

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2009, 05:13 pm »
That is correct. iPods will not do 24/96, and I'm not sure if the i170 does either.