Why, technically, is USB 2.0 not as good as firewire 400 for hi-rez music

EDS_

Apple moving away from firewire, at least as a laptop feature, seems to concern hi-rez guys - why?  Why is USB 2.0 not fast enough?

I have a MacBook with firewire 400 and obviously USB 2.0 - I'd like to know how to maximize my system and us hi-rez files properly.

Thanks for any input.

Crimson

From what I understand, firewire uses an intelligent protocol whereas USB 2.0 does not, and cannot, therefore, reliably process audio data higher than 24/96. This is not supposed to be the case with USB 3.0 (which is supposed to be introduced some time this spring). USB's original intent was for peripheral add-ons and to replace RS-232 serial data ports, and any audio stream higher than 16/44.1 has to have special drivers written for it. This is not the case with firewire.

When you say hi-rez, what word length/bit rate are you specifically considering?

EDS_

From what I understand, firewire uses an intelligent protocol whereas USB 2.0 does not, and cannot, therefore, reliably process audio data higher than 24/96. This is not supposed to be the case with USB 3.0 (which is supposed to be introduced some time this spring). USB's original intent was for peripheral add-ons and to replace RS-232 serial data ports, and any audio stream higher than 16/44.1 has to have special drivers written for it. This is not the case with firewire.

When you say hi-rez, what word length/bit rate are you specifically considering?

Thanks for the input.

I'd like to be ready for 24/192 files. Right now my music is played via iTunes apple lossless stored internally on my MacBook's HDD via USB out to my Musical Fidelity XDAC V8.  Frankly, I don't even know what resolution my MacBook is supplying the DAC right now.  It does, however, sound great.

To use HD Tracks (24/96 files) I'd need something other than iTunes, I think - there may be an app that allows FLAC files to be played via iTunes but it may also queer the resolution.  As you can tell I don't know much about this topic.

Levi

Apple did not ditch the firewire as of yet.  You still can find firewire connections on new MacBook Pro. :scratch:

Crimson is correct.  Firewire connection does not require cpu interrupt unlike USB 2.0.  Having said that, firewire connection should sound better and it's transfer rates constant vs USB 2.0.

Just my .02

EDS_

Apple did not ditch the firewire as of yet.  You still can find firewire connections on new MacBook Pro. :scratch:

Crimson is correct.  Firewire connection does not require cpu interrupt unlike USB 2.0.  Having said that, firewire connection should sound better and it's transfer rates constant vs USB 2.0.

Just my .02

Thank you.

Crimson

iTunes is not the limiting factor for hi-rez (it supports up to 24/192), it's the hardware and transport mechanism (USB vs firewire vs optical). To find out what you're sending to your dac (and to modify those settings), go to Audio Midi Setup in your library folder, click on the Audio Devices tab, and look at the info in the Audio Output section. If you want to modify these settings (within the constraints of your hardware/dac), make sure iTunes is shut down before doing so, then restart iTunes after making the changes. Also, be aware that if your dac only supports 16/44.1 you will not be able to modify those settings to a higher rate.

The purpose of modifying the settings in Audio Midi Setup is two-fold:
1. You have hi-rez content in your music library that you want to listen to in its native resolution (i.e. you don't want a 24/96 file down-converted to 16/44.1), and
2. You want to upsample your music to a higher resolution (e.g. from 16/44.1 to 24/48, 24/96, etc. or higher)

Both of the above assume that your dac will support higher resolution files, and that you are using the appropriate transport protocol. Personally, I leave my settings at 16/44.1 as that is the native resolution of 99% of my music library.

EDS_

iTunes is not the limiting factor for hi-rez (it supports up to 24/192), it's the hardware and transport mechanism (USB vs firewire vs optical). To find out what you're sending to your dac (and to modify those settings), go to Audio Midi Setup in your library folder, click on the Audio Devices tab, and look at the info in the Audio Output section. If you want to modify these settings (within the constraints of your hardware/dac), make sure iTunes is shut down before doing so, then restart iTunes after making the changes. Also, be aware that if your dac only supports 16/44.1 you will not be able to modify those settings to a higher rate.

1. You have hi-rez content in your music library that you want to listen to in its native resolution (i.e. you don't want a 24/96 file down-converted to 16/44.1), and
2. You want to upsample your music to a higher resolution (e.g. from 16/44.1 to 24/48, 24/96, etc. or higher)

Both of the above assume that your dac will support higher resolution files, and that you are using the appropriate transport protocol. Personally, I leave my settings at 16/44.1 as that is the native resolution of 99% of my music library.

Thanks, I did the audio output adjustment taking a grand total of about ten seconds. It seems as though 24/96 is the highest resolution possible.  24/192 wasn't an option.  BTW - my DAC will accept "standard" resolutions between 16/44.1 and 24/192.
And so far I'd say the 24/96 output sounds great - listening to CD content imported into iTunes using apple lossless.

So does this mean I might be able to load HD Tracks or similar into iTunes?  If not by what means can I get some 24/96 files into iTunes for evaluation?

Crimson

Thanks, I did the audio output adjustment taking a grand total of about ten seconds. It seems as though 24/96 is the highest resolution possible.  24/192 wasn't an option.  BTW - my DAC will accept "standard" resolutions between 16/44.1 and 24/192.
And so far I'd say the 24/96 output sounds great - listening to CD content imported into iTunes using apple lossless.

So does this mean I might be able to load HD Tracks or similar into iTunes?  If not by what means can I get some 24/96 files into iTunes for evaluation?

The fact that you're using USB is limiting you to 24/96 as the highest possible output even though your dac accepts 24/192. Yes, you can import any hi-rez files into iTunes (File > Add to Library), just make sure you adjust your output settings in Audio Midi Setup accordingly.

EDS_

The fact that you're using USB is limiting you to 24/96 as the highest possible output even though your dac accepts 24/192. Yes, you can import any hi-rez files into iTunes (File > Add to Library), just make sure you adjust your output settings in Audio Midi Setup accordingly.

I love you.  Errr.......I mean thanks.

So how might I output 24/192?  I don't think the optical out will do it so that leaves firewire?  IIRC correctly only a DAC or two out there will accept firewire.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Why is USB 2.0 not fast enough?

Its not so much that is not "fast", but that USB 2.0 is not able to reliably provide a specified data transfer rate. It is a master-slave technology, and it needs the PC's CPU to manage the appropriate data transfers and rates. It's maximum rate is not realized in real life, and it can be pretty unreliable in many applications that require consistent connectivity and transfer rates.

On the other hand, Firewire is a peer-to-peer technology and can provide a consistent data transfer rate without depending on the CPU of a PC. That is why it is used for digital video processing.

It is because of initially high licensing fees from Apple (a little ironic considering Steve Job's 'bag of hurt' comments about Blu-Ray), as well as some early lack of reliability in testing, that Firewire is not in most PCs.

Crimson

So how might I output 24/192?  I don't think the optical out will do it so that leaves firewire?  IIRC correctly only a DAC or two out there will accept firewire.

Apple claims the optical supports 24/192, although I've never tried it myself. Yes, firewire does support it. If you don't mind my asking, where are you looking to get 24/192 material from?

PS: I'm already married.  :P

EDIT: There are quite a few pro firewire dacs out there that will do 24/192. The RME Fireface series gets rave reviews from both audiophiles and pro folks alike, and isn't priced along the lines of audiophile gear.

EDS_

Its not so much that is not "fast", but that USB 2.0 is not able to reliably provide a specified data transfer rate. It is a master-slave technology, and it needs the PC's CPU to manage the appropriate data transfers and rates. It's maximum rate is not realized in real life, and it can be pretty unreliable in many applications that require consistent connectivity and transfer rates.

On the other hand, Firewire is a peer-to-peer technology and can provide a consistent data transfer rate without depending on the CPU of a PC. That is why it is used for digital video processing.

It is because of initially high licensing fees from Apple (a little ironic considering Steve Job's 'bag of hurt' comments about Blu-Ray), as well as some early lack of reliability in testing, that Firewire is not in most PCs.

Excellent - thanks.

EDS_

Apple claims the optical supports 24/192, although I've never tried it myself. Yes, firewire does support it. If you don't mind my asking, where are you looking to get 24/192 material from?

EDIT: There are quite a few pro firewire dacs out there that will do 24/192. The RME Fireface series gets rave reviews from both audiophiles and pro folks alike, and isn't priced along the lines of audiophile gear.

I'm not aware of any 24/192 downloadable music.  I betting on Linn or B&W maybe AIX to offer 24/192 at some point.

Thanks for the link as well.

dburna

Crimson, this RME FireFace 400 looks like an interesting product.  Only trouble is, I'm having a hard time figuring out if one can get a standard RCA-out out of this DAC.  Do you know if it's possible?  I can't work with balanced connections in my current system.

Thanks in advance,  -dB

wilsynet

There's barely any high resolution content out there.  Occasionally this comes up and people send links to a few music download sites, but when you actually go to those places they are largely empty.

Considering how hardly anyone even offers 320kbps lossy, I have a hard time believing we'll see high resolution offered in any useful or meaningful way in the next 3 years.  By then I'll be ready for a new laptop, a new DAC and whatever I need to do.  I choose to not obsess over unicorns, leprechauns and other things that don't exist like high resolution consumer audio content.

EDS_

There's barely any high resolution content out there.  Occasionally this comes up and people send links to a few music download sites, but when you actually go to those places they are largely empty.

Considering how hardly anyone even offers 320kbps lossy, I have a hard time believing we'll see high resolution offered in any useful or meaningful way in the next 3 years.  By then I'll be ready for a new laptop, a new DAC and whatever I need to do.  I choose to not obsess over unicorns, leprechauns and other things that don't exist like high resolution consumer audio content.

Granted 24/96 content and up is limited.

Your claim that hardly anyone even offers 320kbps lossy is silly. iTunes alone offers zillions of songs at better than 320kbps, Apple Lossless and AIFF for two. 

Crimson

Your claim that hardly anyone even offers 320kbps lossy is silly. iTunes alone offers zillions of songs at better than 320kbps, Apple Lossless and AIFF for two. 

Actually, no. The iTunes Store offers 128 kbps and, recently announced, is bumping it up to 256 kbps in lossy AAC. They do not offer ALAC or AIFF.

mattyturner

I assume EDS meant hi-res content to download is limited.

Unless you're into ripping SACDs or DVDs any CDs are going to be limited 16/44.1

Downloads from online stores (HDtracks, Linn etc) seems to cap out at 24/96 right now.

EDS_

Actually, no. The iTunes Store offers 128 kbps and, recently announced, is bumping it up to 256 kbps in lossy AAC. They do not offer ALAC or AIFF.

Jesus I need some sleep.

boead

I edit video in Premier, have for many years.

I’ve used external Firewire drives, USB2 and eSATA. All work equally in the real world.

The video files I edit from are NTSC/DV at about 220MB per min. Quite frankly there is no noticeable difference when editing and/or rendering video directly from a USB2 hard drive enclosure, eSATA or a Firewire drive enclosure.

The bandwidth of the video I work with FAR exceeds that of HiRes audio files.

Hell, I was rendering video in Premier, Converting video with TMPGEnc and watching a Full Res video on my PC the pother day ALL FROM THE SAME USB2 hard drive at the SAME TIME. All worked just fine. Obviously bandwidth wasn’t a limiting factor.

Just some of my observations.