BCD-1, Bugs or Glitches

Mag

BCD-1, Bugs or Glitches
« on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »
Hi James:

I came across a bug or glitch that I think you should know about.

I played a restored cd-r in the unit yesterday. I adjusted the volume for the disc, which would have been around 90 db. Then hit play, the sound came through so loud that it could have damaged my speakers.

I quickly lowered the volume with remote. Pressed stop and play again, and it was still playing excessively loud. I ejected the cd twice and pressed play and continued to play loud. I then shut the unit off and on and it played the cd normally.

Haven't encountered this excessive loudness before in the year that I have owned the unit.
Was it cause by the poltergeist in my home, dunno?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BCD-1, Bugs or Glitches
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:24 pm »
Hi James:

I came across a bug or glitch that I think you should know about.

I played a restored cd-r in the unit yesterday. I adjusted the volume for the disc, which would have been around 90 db. Then hit play, the sound came through so loud that it could have damaged my speakers.

I quickly lowered the volume with remote. Pressed stop and play again, and it was still playing excessively loud. I ejected the cd twice and pressed play and continued to play loud. I then shut the unit off and on and it played the cd normally.

Haven't encountered this excessive loudness before in the year that I have owned the unit.
Was it cause by the poltergeist in my home, dunno?

Hi Mag,

I have not heard of that one on the CD Player  -The CD Player has a constant output so it is probably the preamp --what preamp?

james

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:39 pm »
I'm using my Yamaha RX-V1700 as pre-amp. I had the 7 channel enhancer engaged.
Previous to that I had played a ELP restored cd-r without a hitch.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:51 pm »
I'm using my Yamaha RX-V1700 as pre-amp. I had the 7 channel enhancer engaged.
Previous to that I had played a ELP restored cd-r without a hitch.

Something strange going on there because as I say the CD Player does not have a volume adjustment.  It runs at a constant output (2.3V) voltage.

james

Sasha

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2009, 08:41 pm »
I have experienced firsthand CD-R shutting down CD player (not being able to play anything), till the unit was powered down and up (it was another one though, not Bryston), but never something like this.
I would look into the receiver and remotes used to control everything, maybe remote from one unit messes up another?
I had problems with Philips and Yamaha devices where their remotes would mess up each other.
I have even seen a problem with sun falling on remote control receiver on TV and changing channels.

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2009, 08:44 pm »
Strange is right! I'm not BS'ing you, I really have had some strange things happening. The poltergeist seems to like toying with my BCD-1.

I think it was upset that I picked Rush over Black Sabbath with the last incident.

One night the BCD-1 tray closed 5 times by itself while my back was turned searching for different music to play. Freaked out, I then switched to my Sony, which seemed to work fine. As I was using the jog dial to queue up a song, it went from 1 unit increments to 3 or 4 increments rendering it useless.

I won't bother you anymore by what must sound like pretty silly claims. But thanks for re-assuring me what happened yesterday wasn't normal.