OB-7 But With SW-12B/A's For The Low End

tortugaranger

• Industry Contributor
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
OB-7 But With SW-12B/A's For The Low End
« on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:06 pm »
I'm new to this board and have been in the planning stages for something like the OB-7's for some time. I'm trying to figure out the tradeoffs between going with the OB-7 as is or using a pair of SW-12B/A's in the low end sealed cabinet (properly sized of course). Aside from creating a wider unit to fit the 12's, would this provide a better low end at say a 200 Hz cutoff? For that matter, how about if I went with a sealed servo in lieu of the 4 low end drivers? Thanks!
//Morten

TomS

Re: OB-7 But With SW-12B/A's For The Low End
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:13 pm »

tortugaranger

• Industry Contributor
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2009, 05:55 pm »
The OB-7+ looks like it has it all. But what I'm trying to understand is can the 4 woofers be eliminated altogether and just have the larger subwoofs carry the full low-end load? I'm still new to the audiophile/DIY world and trying to get some of these basic concepts straight as to why things are done the way they are.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2009, 05:57 pm »
Danny will surely have the best answer for you, but I have to wonder if the OB7 mids and highs could be supported by a set of the OB 12 inch woofers he sells too?

That would be an interesting combo.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:41 am »
The 12" woofer could play up that high to reach the open baffle mids but not with the same speed and accuracy. It would compromise the lower vocal region a little. It would cause more of a phase shift in the lower vocal region and split the 200Hz region into dissimilar drivers. I wouldn't.

As designed works well.

How about a deal on a fully finished and completed pair of OB-7 pluses built for use at the RMAF a few years ago?

Finish is oriental wood, oil rubbed. They are wired with Vampire Wire continuos caste Copper, Sonicaps, foil inductors, and even a custom bass management system on the four outer woofers.

$2,500 plus shipping and they are yours.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:27 am »
Still available...
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2009, 02:33 am by Danny »

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:41 pm »
Seen here with resident speaker model...

Brown

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:47 pm »
That is a GREAT offer Danny. Someone snatch these up.You just cannot get that type of performance for that money.

cujobob

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2009, 06:32 am »
This is really tempting me...always wanted a pair of those.  If these are still around in a few days, I could very well be interested.

Jon Liu

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2009, 02:47 am »
If it came to a point where I couldn't hold out for the LS-9's anymore, I would be all over these... I am just too darn close to getting my LS-9's that I cannot back out now.

These just seem so cool, though!  I heard the X-Statics for the first time when a bunch of us got them for our choral conductor for his 50th anniversary as a choral conductor and I was IMMEDIATELY sold on the open baffle design!

They were amazing speakers, so I could only imagine what these would sound like!