Weird sorting in Squeeze Center 7.3.1

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Weird sorting in Squeeze Center 7.3.1
« on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:05 pm »
I have a few artists who are showing up under the Artists section by last name instead of  first name and I can't figure out why.

For example, all of my Dave Matthews albums are showing up under "M" instead of "D".  Yet, all my Dave Matthews Band or Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds albums are under "D".

When I look at my tags in dbpoweramp or Media Monkey it says that the artist is Dave Matthews.

So far, it only looks like maybe half a dozen out of ~2000 artists are behaving this way.  A few other examples include Cannonball Adderley, Clint Black, Billy Joel)

Any ideas or suggestions?

George

mgalusha

Re: Weird sorting in Squeeze Center 7.3.1
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:30 pm »
I believe Squeezecenter uses the "Album Artist" tag as well. It also uses the "TPE2" tag. From the Behavior screen in 7.3.1:

"The MP3 tag format does not provide a standard way of defining an Album Artist. Some MP3 tagging tools use the TPE2 field for Album Artist (iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player) while others may use it for the intended meaning of "Band/orchestra". Select the meaning you would like SqueezeCenter to use. Changing this setting will start a rescan of your music library."

This could be related, don't know as I always browse by music folder.

Big Red Machine

Re: Weird sorting in Squeeze Center 7.3.1
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2009, 05:32 pm »
Whew.  I don't have any Dave Mathews, so I should be okay? :D

I wish there were better sorting capabilities in SNW.  I accidentally doubled the entire playlist for next Saturday's GTG and had to manually delete all the extras after sorting by album.  PITA