Subwoofer hook-up for HT+2 channel system?

ak645

Subwoofer hook-up for HT+2 channel system?
« on: 3 Jan 2009, 01:10 pm »
 I am currently running a 2 channel system.Preamp (VTL 5.5) has 2 sets of outputs.One pair goes to amp for L-R mains,the other to a pair of Titan-2LE subs through the crossover inputs.

I am now putting together an HT system to coexist with 2 ch system.The plan is to buy a receiver (Marantz 6003?) and use the internal power to drive center+surrounds.Use the receivers L+R preamp output into 2 channel preamp HT bypass input and run the front L-R fullrange (large) and the receiver subwoofer out directly to the subwoofers bypass input.

If I do this hook-up both subwoofer inputs will be receiving a signal at the same time.Would this cause any problems or damage my Titan subs? Thank You for any help you can provide.

Andy

Mike Dzurko

Re: Subwoofer hook-up for HT+2 channel system?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2009, 06:09 pm »
If I'm visuallizing correctly, this will work just fine. Even if the sub gets two different signals at once, accidentally, there will be no damage, it just won't sound right.

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2009, 08:18 pm »
andy,

I am running a set up just as you described with a 2ch preamp/amp and receiver (see my signature). My method is to manually connect the stereo rca's into my ML sub for 2 channel with sub -and- unplug the single LFE cable. My sub is easy to access so no problem. The default is for the LFE cable to be plugged into the sub, as I often listen to 2 channel without the sub.

ed

ak645

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2009, 09:35 pm »
 Ok thanks.My subs not too easy to swap cables plus there's two of 'em.Will run front L-R as small so subs should only get one input at  time.

Andy