not really full range

drummermitchell

not really full range
« on: 1 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »
Very interested if your speakers have usable bass,say to 32 hz.
I use Revel 50as,X-over on sub is 60hz.I use to have them set to small,now large.
How much vol. can a person put thru them before we run into trouble.
I use 7B-ssts for the RCL.
But for music i run direct,analog stereo(no sub) BUT,I am,I'm telling my pre i don't have one.
I am using 2 Y cables coming out of Arcam Av-8(preout)
Right Y going to R mono block and R input on DD-15
Left Y going to L mono block and L input on DD-15
WHen I do movies,i tell my pre I do have a sub(I do have another DD-15 for the .1) and then I put my speakers to small.
A bit of messin about but it seems to work great,
my sheep get a little nervous when my mains are set to large,I just want to know my limit as far as set to large.I really hope this makes sense. :roll:.

JackD201

Re: not really full range
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2009, 07:26 pm »
AFAIK using y splitters from a line level source decreases the output to some degree. If your subwoofer has high level inputs you might want to try an experiment with some ordinary zipcord by sending a pair of speaker cables from your amplifier taps directly into your subs high level inputs. For music listening all you have to do is turn your subs off. Furthermore by using y spitters from L and R your subs aren't getting the discreet and dedicated .1 LFE channel encoded in your DVDs or Blueray Discs. I'm not an AV expert by any means so please take my observations with a grain of salt.

Cheers!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2009, 10:45 pm »
I use Rel Subs which have both a high and low level input.  I have 4 of them in the main system (stereo, center, rears).  The center and rears are both just connected to the high level input.  The Rels (Storm IIIs for the front) also have 4 positions for the phase, two using the LFE and two don't.  Right now I'm basically just going five full range.  I may rethink that if I do the new hi-def audio formats with full range sound from each speaker.  I'd be more concerned with that than just compressed 5.1.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2009, 11:52 pm »
Hi Phil,excuse my ignorance,do your speakers(mains go pretty low)I imagine with 4 subs,that you have a nice size room.Don't laugh, my huge living room is 11X12(feet)way too small for what I have.We are hoping to add on or buy a bigger house in 1or2 yrs.I guess I shouldn't be to concerned running my mains,set to large.I just hope I don't blow any drivers.Thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2009, 04:08 am »
Hi Phil,excuse my ignorance,do your speakers(mains go pretty low)I imagine with 4 subs,that you have a nice size room.Don't laugh, my huge living room is 11X12(feet)way too small for what I have.We are hoping to add on or buy a bigger house in 1or2 yrs.I guess I shouldn't be to concerned running my mains,set to large.I just hope I don't blow any drivers.Thanks.

Yes, the main room is large and opens into other spaces.  It is about 16x20 ft. with a 19 ft. ceiling and is open a bit to a 2-story foyer, a set of steps going upstairs to another hallway with 3 bedrooms and an open loft.  My Thiel 3.7s are flat with no sub down to around 40Hz and don't start to really drop off sharply until they are below 30Hz.