Sonicweld and Locus Design/CryoParts at CES--Now With Pictures!

cryoparts

Hello everyone,

For those of you who might be attending CES, consider this a formal invitation to visit our room.  We will be in the Venetian, room 31-119.

We will have two systems, a main system in which the new Sonicweld Pulseblade will make their world debut.  This remarkable affordable system is an ultra high performance active loudspeaker system that utilizes the new DEQX HDP-3 processor w/transformer balanced outs.  Those of you who have heard the Sonicweld Pulserod system ($125K) know how good the Sonicweld's sound, now one can get a large dose of the "Sonicweld sound", in a much more affordable package.  Final pricing information will be released at CES, however I will say now that the Pulseblade's will be *considerably* less than the Pulserod system.

We will also have a second system based around headphones so anyone that is so inclined can have a controlled listening environment to compare my USB cables.

In any event, here are the two systems:

Main System
Sonicweld Pulserod and Subpulse active loudspeaker system
Sonicweld Pulseblade active loudspeaker system (World Premier!)
Locus Design power cabling
PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2)
Locus Design interconnects
Esoteric DVD player for SACD's
Mac laptop
Locus Design Nucleus USB cable (World Premier!)
Empirical Audio USB Off Ramp Turbo III (New!)
Music Hall MMF 9.1 turntable
PS Audio GCPH phono preamp

Secondary System
Mac laptop
Locus Design Nucleus USB cable (World Premier!)
Locus Design Axis USB cable
Locus Design Polestar USB cable
PS Audio Digital Link III
PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Locus Design Power Cables
Locus Design Interconnects
Trafomatic Experience Head one headamp
PS Audio GCHA headamp
Whiplash Audio iPod dock
Whiplash Audio iPod stand
Whiplash Audio headphone stand

...and some other stuff I'm sure I forgot.

Come by if you are attending.

Peace,

Lee

« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2009, 01:42 am by cryoparts »

cryoparts

Re: Sonicweld and Locus Design/CryoParts at CES
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:09 am »
Update on some AC'ers who are providing gear for our room.

Steve Nugent has confirmed that he is sending the USB Off Ramp Turbo III--looking forward to using Steve's latest and greatest!

Also, the Trafomatic Experience Head One that Boris sent is sounding mighty fine, indeed, now that I have about 50-60 hours on it.  If you are in the market for a headphone amp, I can't recommend this one highly enough.  Especially for the price!

Peace,

Lee

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2009, 12:37 am »

Also, the Trafomatic Experience Head One that Boris sent is sounding mighty fine, indeed, now that I have about 50-60 hours on it.  If you are in the market for a headphone amp, I can't recommend this one highly enough.  Especially for the price!

Peace,

Lee

Lee, many thanks for the kind words!

You have very impressive gear list and I'm sure all the equipment will benefit from your cables. And Sonicwelds... a thing of beauty  :drool:

Good luck in Las Vegas and bring us some pics back!

Boris

cryoparts

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2009, 04:22 pm »
Thanks Boris, I will post some pictures Saturday or Sunday.

Yes, the Sonciweld's are quite special, my good friend Josh really builds amazing products.

Peace,

Lee

Peace,

Lee

Lee, many thanks for the kind words!

You have very impressive gear list and I'm sure all the equipment will benefit from your cables. And Sonicwelds... a thing of beauty  :drool:

Good luck in Las Vegas and bring us some pics back!

Boris

cryoparts

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2009, 04:23 pm »
Steve,

The below is really a nice piece of gear, bravo!   :drool:

Lee

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2009, 07:52 pm »
Steve,

The below is really a nice piece of gear, bravo!   :drool:

Lee

Very good.  I was hoping that you would let me know if it's working out okay for you.

Have a great show!

Wish I was there. :cry:

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2009, 06:43 am »
Hello everyone,

The CES show is almost over, I had a few free minutes this evening and posted some pictures here:

http://cryo-parts.com/ces_2009.html

I will clean them up and categorize them next week after I get back and have decompressed.

Here are a couple that AC'ers will be interested in:

Steve's mighty Empirical Audio Off Ramp Turbo 3--buy one!:

Boris' Trafomatic Experience Head One:

Vinnie's wonderful Isabella (first time I've met Vinnie, heckuva nice guy!)

And, a couple shots of my room:

Lots more photos at the below link and more will be added:

http://cryo-parts.com/ces_2009.html

Okay, I'm off to bed.  Long day tomorrow, with tear down tomorrow night... :o

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

Re: Sonicweld and Locus Design/CryoParts at CES--Pictures!
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2009, 07:40 pm »
Here's another photo of the Off Ramp 3:

Peace,

Lee

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2009, 08:54 pm »

Peace,

Lee

Hi Lee,, I don't find any info on Steve's website on the Off Ramp 3 and I haven't stayed on top of it's development so I have a few questions. Price (of course), is it simply a USB transport or does it have a DAC, if used as a transport, does it have a digital output, what are the power supply requirements and can you use an upgraded power supply? So many questions from simply looking at a picture. Thanks. :thumb:

BTW, I did notice the new & improved Locus Design Nucleus USB cable in the pictures. :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin

cryoparts

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2009, 09:20 pm »
Hi Robin,

I don't have a ton of info about it, but here is what I know:

It kicks butt!
It sounds great!
It passes 24/96!
It is a USB to SPDIF converter only, no internal DAC
It uses an external power supply (2V, I think, but I might not be remembering correctly what it said on the back).
Whatever the price is, it will be worth it.

And...I want one.   :drool:

Thanks for noticing the Nucleus USB!

Peace,

Lee

Peace,

Lee

Hi Lee,, I don't find any info on Steve's website on the Off Ramp 3 and I haven't stayed on top of it's development so I have a few questions. Price (of course), is it simply a USB transport or does it have a DAC, if used as a transport, does it have a digital output, what are the power supply requirements and can you use an upgraded power supply? So many questions from simply looking at a picture. Thanks. :thumb:

BTW, I did notice the new & improved Locus Design Nucleus USB cable in the pictures. :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2009, 03:01 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - Off-Ramp 3 is the latest of three products that I sell now, the Off-Ramp 3, the Pace-Car 2 and the Overdrive USB DAC.  The Off-Ramp 3 is $999 plus shipping with Superclock4 inside.  It uses a 12VDC power supply, which can be a SLA battery.  New LI battery supplies for all three products are planned for introduction in 2009.

Here are some links:

Off-Ramp 3
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/534253.html

Pace-Car 2
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/534280.html

For info on the exceptional new Overdrive USB DAC, email me and I'll  attach a brochure to your email.  Here is a photo:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/Overdrive and Substation_web.jpg

The reason that these are not on the website is that a new website is under construction and running a bit behind schedule.  Has shopping cart etc..

Steve N.

audioengr

Lee - speaking of Nucleus, I need one as well as a Polestar to audition.  I have other manufacturers cables here already.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

cryoparts

I just happen have some demo's left from CES.  I kept a couple for myself--I didn't give the reviewers all of them this year, ha! 

Thanks again for the use of the Turbo 3-it is a great piece of gear!  Very, very nice.

I'll e-mail you shortly.

Lee

Lee - speaking of Nucleus, I need one as well as a Polestar to audition.  I have other manufacturers cables here already.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

TONEPUB

As always, Lee and Josh had great sound!

Good to see you guys and thanks for the beer...

cryoparts

You are welcome!   :beer:

It was really nice to see a friendly face that night we met up, I was beat up after setting up the room, it was great to relax a bit and have a brew with you.

Peace,

Lee

As always, Lee and Josh had great sound!

Good to see you guys and thanks for the beer...

Norman Tracy

The second time we visited Sonicweld & Locus' room the new bambino the Pulseblade was on static display.

V E R Y  N I C E

The Sonicweld system with Locus cables had sound at the top level. I had heard the Magico, MBL, and Acapella along with other heavy weights and here the sound was every bit as good in this stunning room friendly form factor.

Also thanks to Lee and Josh for putting up with us as we did our business with the guys from DEQX.

cryoparts

It's always a pleasure to have you visit the room!  Thanks for the kind words.

Peace,

Lee

The second time we visited Sonicweld & Locus' room the new bambino the Pulseblade was on static display.

V E R Y  N I C E

The Sonicweld system with Locus cables had sound at the top level. I had heard the Magico, MBL, and Acapella along with other heavy weights and here the sound was every bit as good in this stunning room friendly form factor.

Also thanks to Lee and Josh for putting up with us as we did our business with the guys from DEQX.

brj

Sounds like you had a good show, Lee - congrats!

Can I assume that the DEQ/X in the Pulseblade system was modded by Josh, although perhaps not to the level of the Pulserod mods?  Any details you can share?

Thanks, and I hope Utah is treating you well!

cryoparts

Hi Brian,

The show was good--tiring and lots of lost sleep--but overall a positive experience.  The first couple days were an adventure as I had to set the room up by myself--man, those subwoofers are HEAVY--but everything really seemed to gel by the end of the second day.

The 2.6 DEQX used in the system the first two days was heavily modified by Josh, however, the brand new HDP3 used the last two days was not.  The new HDP3 incorporates most of the mods to the 2.6 that Josh was performing--the DEQX guys freely admit that they collaborated with Josh on the upgrades to the HDP3 and incorporated many of his ideas (along with their own) into the new model.  One of the really great things about the HDP3 is that it uses the Jensen transformers to provide the balanced out--it sounds very good, indeed.  Plus, the HDP3 looks MUCH better than the 2.6!

Josh may look into upgrading the HDP3 in the future, however, for now we were pretty impressed with the sound with the HDP3 in stock form.  In fact, I was so impressed, I may start offering it for sale.

We'll most likely show the Pulseblade's with the HDP3 at RMAF this year, so, hopefully many people can see and hear them then.  They are very cool.

Peace,

Lee

Sounds like you had a good show, Lee - congrats!

Can I assume that the DEQ/X in the Pulseblade system was modded by Josh, although perhaps not to the level of the Pulserod mods?  Any details you can share?

Thanks, and I hope Utah is treating you well!

cryoparts

Thanks to Dave and Carol Clark from Positive Feedback Online, who designated our room as an "Audio Oasis" at this years CES:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ces6.htm

It is always fun to catch up with the Clark family at shows, they are great people.  Here are some pics they snapped:

Peace,

Lee