The best guy for vintage amp restoration?

Mariusz

The best guy for vintage amp restoration?
« on: 29 Dec 2008, 07:01 pm »
I have two pieces that might need some work.
One is SS and the other tube integrated.
Who would you recommend without going broke?

Thanks

ltr317

Re: The best guy for vintage amp restoration?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2008, 07:29 pm »
Mariusz,

For SS, I use a local guy who's good and reasonably priced.  His name is Nick, and he used to work for Lyric Hifi and specializes in SS.  His shop is American Video and Stereo at 203 West 85th street.  The phone number is 212-724-4870.  He modded a couple of DACs for me, as well as install factory mod parts on my integrated Jolida amp. 

For tube equipment, try Vinnie in Wading River, LI.  He's working on a couple of amps for me currently.  A lot of NY Rave people uses him.  His home phone is 631-929-0926. 

Paul 

bummrush

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2008, 07:34 pm »
Depending on where you are,East Coast you could look up Bill Thallman,just google ,,might get you there,at the least look at the site.,

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2008, 09:51 pm »
Thanks guys. 
I'll contact these sources and see if they can help me out.

I'm in NY but away.

Mariusz

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2008, 10:33 pm »
If you are not scared of shipping things, this guy with the acronym Ezekiel in Audiogon, who is based in TN revived an old 1978 HK receiver I got from Ebay with great detail and tons of decent parts, furthermore, he also resurrected a Pioneer Elite HT receiver that was hit by lightening, and was given to me by a friend of mine.  His rates are beyond reasonable.  I think the parts in the first job were about 70% of the charge he did for me.  I guess I did spend some $$$ on that receiver, but it is a classic that I will keep for 30 years or more. 

Paul

stevehifi

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2009, 04:07 am »

The Best guy for vintage tube gear is Sam Kim of Sam's Audio Labs.

check out his website at www.samsaudiolabs.com

What he does is amazing .........Lots a raving reviews on his work

topround

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2009, 04:12 am »
Sam's stuff is very good indeed!

But VERY expensive, be warned! you will have to keep that amp or take a loss on resale, that is a fact.
An Eico hf 81 goes for 400 to 500 used in good condition. a 67 vette goes for 60 to 90 grand , a modded 67 vette goes for nothing.
The modded 67 vette may blow your mind, but if you want to sell it you will have a problem.

stevehifi

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:01 am »

Hi I understand what you mean but his units are not modded.....They are custom design circuitry on vintage chassis with the best vintage transformers........its like a Mercedes or an AMG Mercedes.......AMG Mercedes keeps its special value.

You wont want to resale it because it will be extremely hard to get something that will sound more natural without paying 4 to5 times the price. I have heard that the phono sections that he designs that are in his amps are worth the money itself.

Have you ever heard one?

wilsynet

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2009, 07:22 am »
I think what he's saying is that yes, indeed, Sam's work is outstanding.  Perhaps it's going to floor you.  But as you said, Sam puts in his own circuit design.  And if you're looking to buy vintage gear, then it isn't a restored vintage piece so much as it is a different piece altogether.  Albeit a different piece that re-uses some of the components, but it wouldn't qualify as being restored.  Either that, or I misunderstand what it means to be restored.

Indeed, perhaps you'll never want to sell it, but then again, perhaps you might, and you should be aware.  Not so much of a judgement as it is an observation. =)

topround

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2009, 10:36 am »
I heard a pair of Heathkit mono's  and his Citation 2 at a show, great stuff for sure but very expensive.
I called once to have myEico HF81 "restored", he wanted something like 2400$ to do the whole restoration. I said that was too much and the number went down to 1800$ in like 4 minutes.

It may have turned out awesome, but it was too much money, and if I wanted to sell it, I probably could only get 500 to 800 for the unit.

The guy said the Eico would sound as good as a 10 - 15 K$ amp. Big statements. I am wary of such bold talk.

Not trying to knock Sam's work, it is excellent, but you will pay dearly for it. And again the 2 pieces of gear I heard at the show sounded awesome. I would buy a piece of gear if it came up for sale at a reasonable price but I wouldn't spend the multi thousands to make one myself.
Just my 2 cents

ZLS

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2009, 11:57 am »
    Mr. Kim does not "restore" vintage gear, he does not even rebuild it.  He uses the vintage iron to create amps using his proprietary circuitry.  The fact that his amps may be on the same chassis as the original vintage amp is purely a matter of coincidence.  A Sam Kim Heathkit 151 is not a vintage 151, and should not be compared to one either in terms of sound and especially in terms of price. 

The question of whether Mr. Kim's amps represent good value for the money is a subject for another discussion.  A Sam Kim Amp is not a restored vintage amp, and does not belong in this thread. 

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2009, 12:10 pm »
This is a great thread. Great answers to a great question.

On fmtunerinfo.com, there's a section devoted to "who does this" and "who does that." It does not specifically endorse one service provider over another, but provides valuable information to those in need of rebuilds, alignment, antennae, etc.

Perhaps we should have the same kinda section here at audiocircle...

Isn't doug s. from fmtunerinfo?

Paul

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2009, 12:14 pm »
Troy Maclure - you may remember him from - oh my,  just found out his wife murdered him in his sleep. :oops:

bluemike

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2009, 03:05 pm »
Who else .. Jim Mcshane  aa

Whitese

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2009, 03:38 pm »
Craig Ostby from NOSValves in Michigan did awesome work on my Allen amps and Terry Dewick in Knoxville, TN also..only  bummer is that the good tube guys are busy for weeks before they can get your unit on their bench.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2009, 08:30 pm »
if i were gonna get something refurb'd, i would likely consider craig otsby for tube stuff, or mebbe even bill lamphear, who posts here under "niteshade".

for s/s gear, i would consider mike williams, (aka punker-x on audiokarma), who is also a tuna expert - check out http://radioxtuners.com/  (craig otsby is a bud of mike williams', lives yust up the road, and does the tube stuff on tube tunas that get sent to mike.)  or, i would check out echowars, who can also be found at audiokarma.org.    ezekiel over at agon, imo, seems to be a bit on the pricey side...  sam is way too pricey to be considered for standard refurb-mod.  if you want something specially custom built for you, that is another story.

if it were wintage scott gear, i would consider foster blair, that's his specialty.  for mcintosh, terry dewick is the guy...

stephen sank, of talking dog transducers also does great work, both tube, s/s, and tuna...
http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

paul, i wonder if folks at fmtunerinfo.com think i am from a/c?   :lol:

doug s.

Berndt

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2009, 12:56 am »
Another vote for Bill thalmann at

http://www.musictechnology.com/

He sorted out an old fender champ for me and refurbed a CJ SS amp as well.
Straight shooter.

Mossback

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2009, 04:10 pm »
Jim McShane is outstanding for Citation gear and a very honest tube vendor.  :thumb:
Craig Ostby (NOSValves) did a Scott 299 for me many years ago before I knew much about vintage gear. He did a great job reasonably priced. Craig posts on the Eico Yahoo group sharing helpful information.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:29 pm »
If you want to ship to Texas, then I'd use Gary Dodd.  I spoke to him last week, and he is caught up currently.  If he is interested, he would be my choice over some of those mentioned above.

Plink

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2009, 12:19 am »
    Mr. Kim does not "restore" vintage gear, he does not even rebuild it.  He uses the vintage iron to create amps using his proprietary circuitry.  The fact that his amps may be on the same chassis as the original vintage amp is purely a matter of coincidence.  A Sam Kim Heathkit 151 is not a vintage 151, and should not be compared to one either in terms of sound and especially in terms of price. 

The question of whether Mr. Kim's amps represent good value for the money is a subject for another discussion.  A Sam Kim Amp is not a restored vintage amp, and does not belong in this thread. 

http://www.samsaudiolabs.com/services.html

Sam Kim does belong in this thread.  Sam Kim offers restoration services.  See "Silver Level: Restoration:" at the link above.

He also offers the redesign discussed above.