installing winxp into boot camp from an upgrade version

randytsuch

My oldest daughter got a Macbook for Christmas this year

I wanted to make it a dual boot system, with winxp also, so she can use her old games, and any other xp software she wants/needs to use.

I bought an xp upgrade disk before I read the boot camp instructions saying that XP upgrade disks don't work.

Luckily, I found a page that said you could make a new disk, with XP and win98 on it, and use it for the installation.
In short, you need to make a copy of the XP upgrade installation disk, but add a couple of directories to it from a win98 installation disk, the win98 and driver directories. 

It won't fit on a CD, so it needs to be a bootable DVD.

I copied my XP disk to an empty directory on a windows laptop.
Then, I used Isobuster to get the boot file.
Run Isobuster, then click on the "Bootable Disk" icon in the left window.
Should show some file like "Microsoft Corporation.img"  Double click on it, and save it to your hard drive.

Then, I got a win98 disk, and copied the win98 and drivers directories to the same directory as where I put winxp

I used Nero Burning Rom to make my bootable DVD.

Selected DVD-Rom(boot). 
For source of boot image data, select image file, and then browse, set file types to all files, then find the microsoft Corporation.img file, and select it.

Enable advanced settings, then set it for no emulation, and number of loaded sectors to 4.

Under ISO, Select ISO9660 + Juliet, max of 31 characters, and make sure all the boxes are checked.

Under Label, set to manual, and label should be the same as the volume name for your original XP disk, for ISO and Juliet.

Under Burn, check Finalize disk.

Click New, and it will take you to an explorer like interface.  Go to the winxp directory, and select all the files and directories, and move them into the left window.

Burn a DVD, and you should be good to go.

I had some problems making the bootable, because I didn't check the finalize disk box the first couple times I tried it.  Once I did that, it worked.  The only other problems I had were because I did not follow the boot camp instructions.  You do need to print out the instructions and follow them, else you could have problems like I did.

Randy

Crimson

Re: installing winxp into boot camp from an upgrade version
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2008, 10:53 pm »
Good info. Thanks!