Having to re-find my music library

studley

Having to re-find my music library
« on: 27 Dec 2008, 05:16 pm »
I have a G4  ibook.  My music library is stored on a dedicated PC running Linux that is connected by ethernet cable to my wireless router.  I play music back through a Squeezebox and a Duet.  One annoying aspect of this is that every time my ibook goes to sleep or i shut it down, on start up my music library does not automatically appear; I have to go into Finder>Network>etc to re-find it and double click on it to open it up.  I have to go through this process every time I want to rip a new CD to the Library.

Is there a way of setting things up so that my ibook automatically finds my music files?

jaywills

Re: Having to re-find my music library
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2008, 05:24 pm »
iTunes>Preferences>advanced>"iTunes Music Folder Location">Change.

Navigate to the iTunes Music folder in which your tunes are stored inside the iTunes file.  Close preferences & you should be OK.  If your iTunes Music Folder is elsewhere (i.e. another drive or another folder), then you need to navigate to wherever it resides.  Good luck.  Cordially,

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2008, 05:27 pm »
In addition to changing your music folder location, first mount (connect to) the disc, then go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and drag the mounted disc over. Now every time you start your machine, it will auto-mount.

studley

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2008, 05:41 pm »
Jaywills: thanks but I've already done that.

Crimson: your suggestion is new to me and sounds like the answer.  Not at home at the moment, will try it in due course.  Thanks!

jaywills

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2008, 10:29 pm »
Assuming that you're using slimserver, you also might try:

Squeezecenter>settings (opens new web page)>Music folder (browse to your iTunes music folder).

Good luck.

studley

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2009, 06:03 pm »
In addition to changing your music folder location, first mount (connect to) the disc, then go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and drag the mounted disc over. Now every time you start your machine, it will auto-mount.

Well some progress; I did as suggested above and now when it goes to sleep I don't lose the music file - its icon is still there on the desktop when I reawaken the laptop.  However if I shut down and restart the music file is not  automatically found.

I've check the System preferences>Log in  and the Music file is shown.  However under the heading "Application" it says "unknown" along side the name of my music file.  Could this be the problem and if so how do I fix it please?

Thanks.

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2009, 06:33 pm »
Hmmmmm..........what version of OSX are you running? I don't have an 'Application' column (I have Hide, Item, and Kind (under which it says Volume for remote drives)) and am running 10.5.6, and it loads up my remote volumes every time I start/awaken my computer. Is there a way to modify your 'Application' field?

studley

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2009, 07:48 pm »
Its OS is 10.4.11.

Sorry I made a mistake.  The column is "Kind".  Application is what it says along side the other items listed there but alongside my music file's name it says unknown.

wilsynet

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2009, 11:09 pm »
Rather than using the Finder to browse the network, have you tried "Connect to Server" so that the remote fllesystem is mounted?

Half-way down the page here there are instructions:

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/how-to-mount-a-windows-shared-folder-on-your-mac-247148.php

If your Windows share has a password setup, make sure you check "Remember this password in my keychain".

studley

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2009, 12:32 pm »
Rather than using the Finder to browse the network, have you tried "Connect to Server" so that the remote fllesystem is mounted?

Half-way down the page here there are instructions:

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/how-to-mount-a-windows-shared-folder-on-your-mac-247148.php

If your Windows share has a password setup, make sure you check "Remember this password in my keychain".

OK I did that but still no joy.   When the music file is mounted and I look in the Account>Log-in box it says "volume" in the Kind column, but when its not mounted it says "unknown".  I'm guessing this is the cause of the problem (?) but I don't know how to fix it.

Crimson

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2009, 01:39 pm »
Is the remote volume password-protected? Maybe try changing permissions/attributes of the drive on the linux machine. Other than that, I'm stumped as to why it's not auto-mounting during startup.

EDIT: One other thing: do you also shut down the linux machine? The automount feature works via the remote drive's/machine's IP address. When you shut it down (assuming you're running DHCP), it'll get a new IP address allocated which will render an automount ineffective.