Puzzled

hodge

Puzzled
« on: 27 Dec 2008, 02:17 am »
Moved surround system upstairs.Consists of CV D9s Onkyo Surround receiver(16 yrs old) CV center channel and energy rears.Longed for better audio for music so slowly upgraded ( last 16 months )
 I now have a used 4Bst, a new BP-26, a new MPS-2 power supply, a used Copland CDA 266, used Kef 104/2s ( I like I like I like ),2 Velodyne self powered subs to bring up the bottom end and after much experimenting a self made set of speaker cables that I feel beat out the $200 I spent on a set of " High end name brand "10 ft speaker cables ( Sounds like..........can't bring myself to bash them but would let you know what I've accomplished if I knew what" PM me" meant and how it worked...........rest assured that the system is a heck of alot more stable - the amp has dropped 15 degrees at its peak when pushed hard( 125 degrees max.....in an enclosed cabinet having been left on for a week before using).. Also...the homemade cables are 10 feet longer.

Now for the part where I will most likely be laughed at but assure you that I would not ask if I did not Know( This is all in 2.2channel )

1) At the start when the 4bst was hooked up to the onkyo, the amp would redline @ 1pm(CVs 4ohms 400watts rms)

Now, the source leaves the amp , goes to the subs , then goes to the Kefs( 4 ohms 200 watts rms).....why does the amp still redline at 1pm when it doesn't need to produce the bottom end....Do I need more power to feed the kefs or do the red idiot lights on the Bryston indicate that the Kefs are about to @#$#  out a set of "Candle" speakers.........again , I would not ask if I didn't know.

2) After having made my own RCA cables to compare to factory cables, I would like to know point blank if XLR cables produce better sound quality than the RCAs.  If so....How much on a percentage scale...is it like RCA video cables  vs  S-video

P.S. 

I will try to upload pics of my system .....tried on Canuck Audio but it says that my pics are to big...........MUST BE THE BRYSTON'S FAULT :D :D
............sorry for the whole underlining thing. I don't know how to take it of....it was only meant for the 2.2 audio part of this inquiry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Puzzled
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2008, 02:28 pm »
HI Puzzled,

If I understand your question correctly the answer is that the 4B amplifier is getting the same 'voltage' from the Preamp if driving the 4B directly or through the Sub from the BP26 preamp. The 4B needs 1.8 volts to operate at 'full power' (1 volt sensitivity setting) and it does not matter if it goes through the Sub or directly from the BP26 preamp. So the volume control setting on the Preamp would be the same (1pm) even though it is not driving the Sub any longer.

The "red" clipping light means you are CLIPPING the amplifier and you 'will' DAMAGE the speakers.

As for Balanced lines - they are not "BETTTER" just "QUIETER".  Balanced lines cancel any noise picked up on the signal interconnect leads so it can sound better if you have 'noise and RF' problems in your setup.

james

b5pt9

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2008, 07:23 pm »
Well this has helped me as well so thanks.  Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand the clip indicators function purely on input voltage to the amp and have nothing to do with the amount of current the amp is delivering into a given speaker load.  So you can check if they are functioning by simply disconnecting the speaker cables and applying a sine wave to each channel and seeing if they light up at >1.8V rms input.

hodge

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2008, 08:58 pm »
Wow.... thanks for helping me out  James.
I also got responses from canuck audio( "Bryston power" thread) that got me hoping that I can obtain a better sound quality.If I were to hook up my 2.2 stereo in parallel or in series , would there be a better sound quality from either one. Is there anywhere that illustrates how to hook up both ways.....I don't want to damage any components.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2008, 10:19 pm »
I also got responses from canuck audio( "Bryston power" thread) that got me hoping that I can obtain a better sound quality.If I were to hook up my 2.2 stereo in parallel or in series , would there be a better sound quality from either one. Is there anywhere that illustrates how to hook up both ways.....I don't want to damage any components.

Hi,

Sorry - not sure what is meant by 'series' or 'parallel'?

james

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2008, 11:42 pm »

Hi,

Sorry - not sure what is meant by 'series' or 'parallel'?

james

I believe this is what was meant:

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2008, 10:31 pm »
Well this has helped me as well so thanks.  Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand the clip indicators function purely on input voltage to the amp and have nothing to do with the amount of current the amp is delivering into a given speaker load.  So you can check if they are functioning by simply disconnecting the speaker cables and applying a sine wave to each channel and seeing if they light up at >1.8V rms input.

Hi B5,

The clipping indicators work by comparing the input to the output waveform. If the output signal reaches more than .1% distortion the RED lights will flicker.

james