Question for Jim Hagerman

gurevise

« on: 27 Nov 2003, 06:24 am »
Jim,
Could you share with us what TT and cartridge do you use with cornet in your setup?

Thanks
Sergey

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2003, 07:19 am »
Ha!  You would laugh.  In the shop I use an MMF-5 with stock Goldring cart.  Works good enough for quality assurance checks and random listening.  I use headphones for noise and microphonics testing.  

Please note I do not "voice" my amplifiers, except to maximize every sonic parameter (dynamics, noise, prat, linearity, grain, etc.) the best I can.  Nothing is tweaked to deliver a false or exaggerated tone.  Purity is my goal without being sterile or dry.  Nothing is designed around the TT or cart I have.  All machines get measured for EQ & stuff on real test equipment.

We've also done many listening tests using a variety of tables and carts at my dealer's showroom.  

And for the record, whenever I do get the chance to listen, I use a Trumpet!

jh :)

gurevise

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2003, 02:44 pm »
Thanks Jim,
About Trumpet:
I'm considering/thinking buying Rega turntable, P3 or P25 to work with Cornet. Their wiring is not balanced, so, I think, balanced phono stage would work there well.  
What do you think?

I can see that truly balanced topology would be better as total current consumption is very constant, compared to non-balanced, and demand for better power supply regulation is much less important. I would think this improves bass a lot. I would think that non balanced topology can sound similar with MUCH better PS regulation. Obviously, non-balanced still don't have benefits of better linearity and noise cancellation of balanced one.

Thanks
Sergey

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2003, 02:47 am »
Yes, I'm a firm believer in balanced circuit topology.  It has so many advantages, especially related to power supply, linearity, and noise.  Just happens to cost twice as much.

The Trumpet definately performs better IMHO than the Cornet.  More transparent and dynamic.

jh :)