Jeff and SET. Musicality.

Docere

Jeff and SET. Musicality.
« on: 23 Dec 2008, 08:31 am »
Hi guys

Firstly, let me congratulate you on an impressive looking magazine. I also enjoy the music-related content of the magazine (interviews, reviews, classic series of articles etc.). The audio reviews, well...

I am wondering what SET-based systems (please, include the speakers) Jeff has spent some decent time with. I ask this because I read this statement in the Tone 18, Lominchay review: "...yet I want as much musicality as I can get without the presentation being rounded off or getting gooey. (Which is why I ultimately lost interest in the SET thing.)"

"Rounded off" and "gooey" would refer to a common yet old school SET, nay, tube in general, type of presentation. No doubt, such SET amps still exist and perhaps may even comprise the majority; however, certainly not all SET-based systems reproduce music in this style.

Also, could Jeff please explain what he means by the term "musicality" - it means different things to different people; hopefully I don't need to explain why or provide examples.

Thank you.

TONEPUB

Re: Jeff and SET. Musicality.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2008, 06:14 am »
I think you can get a good feel for what I mean by musicality by reading our magazine.
If you don't want to explain or provide examples, I don't feel terribly compelled to write
a thesis on it either.

As for the SET thing, I spent a lot of time with quite a few SET amplifiers and speakers.

My last SET setup consisted of a pair of Wavac MD-300's with Western Electric 300B's,
(though I did have about eight other sets of 300B's as well).  I also had a few variations
on the 2A3 thing, including building a set of Bottleheads, again tons of diff tubes to experiment
with.

I was using 2nd Rethms, occasionally using Tannoy TS-8 subs which worked very well and
my room was 16 x 24 feet with dedicated power.

The front end of the system consisted of a Meridian 808 for digital and an SME10 with SMEV
arm, Lyra Skala cartridge and CJ TEA-1 phono preamp.  I had the CJ on loan for about a year
but the rest of the system was my gear, including using an ACT2/series 2 and Aesthetix Callisto
Signature as line stages of choice. (again, both personal references that I own.)

Personally, my favorite SET was the solid state First Watt F3 from Nelson pass.

I really enjoyed the SET experience and what it did well, it did very well, namely
midrange magic and a very 3d sound field.

Unfortunately as someone who reviews a lot of gear, an SET setup had very limited
use to me, because 2-9 watt amplifiers won't drive many speakers and 100db efficient
speakers won't really put a 300 watt per channel power amplifier through it's paces.

The SET/single driver setup just wouldn't play a wide enough range of music to make
it worthwhile as my only system either.  If I primarily listened to chamber music, solo
female vocal music or small jazz ensemble music, that system was quite magical.

Unfortunately, playing large scale orchestral music or very heavy dynamic rock, etc. etc
clogs up a single driver system pretty quickly.  Even the Wavac  EC-300B was just not
terribly extended at the frequency extremes.

I spent a fair amount of time with some of the higher powered SET amps from Wavac,
DeHavilland and a few others, but felt that while the 811 and 845 amps did not have
the delicacy that drew me to SET in the first place.

If I were to compare the SET to a car, it would be an Alfa Romeo.  Gorgeous and a lot
of fun to drive within its limits, but very unpleasant when pushed beyond them.  A great
car for a relaxing mellow drive on a summer day.

I still feel the same way about SET.  When I no longer review gear for a living, I'll probably
have a fourth system based around an SET of some kind.  I really love them, but they are
just not practical for me to use every day.

I hope that makes sense.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2008, 08:16 am »
As someone who is really getting into building SET amps (tube amps in general, but SETs currently), your explanation makes a lot of sense.  A big voice in the back of my head that tells me it isn't going to work reminds me that the music I like is more the large scale orchestral and progressive metal and decidedly not the chamber, small jazz band thing.

Ultimately, I think the SET road is a lonely road, and unless you have enormously deep pockets isn't a commercial road unless you music or your requirements are limited.  I am pretty biased, but I think if you go this route, you build your own speakers (very high efficiency), your own amps and leave the commercial arena back on earth. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2008, 10:47 pm »
Hey Josh:

Yep, I agree with you about the DIY aspect of SET.  It is probably the most musically satisfying
gear for the dollar if you build it yourself, it just doesn't do everything.  Nothing does really unless
you have a huge pile of money.

It was a part of my audio journey that I enjoyed tremendously, and will revisit again when I
have more space!  My daughter is leaving for college in a couple of years and I've already got
dibs on her room for some single driver speakers and a pair of Quad 57's (another very fun
part of my audio journey).

I have a friend in my neighborhood that builds some nice 45 based amplifiers and am intrigued
with that too!  When staff writer Marc Phillips had the Yamamoto amp with 45 tubes, that was
really a sweet combination!  But I'm getting distracted again!