Canceled: Cullen Circuits Modified PS Audio Digital Link 3, DL3 DAC

Big Red Machine

I have a new combo unit coming tomorrow with a DAC built in and if it works out will need to sell my wonderful DAC and preamp as well.

I must say I absolutely LOVE this DAC. It bettered Van Alstine, Bel Canto, and some other top brands and has been solid in my system for a year now. A year is a long time for hardware to exist in my house. Says alot.

This is not an Underwood mod, but done by Cullen Circuits who build them (did anyways) and they know their stuff.

Listed at $1700, thinking I'd let it go for $1200.

Stole bits and pieces from the Wyred ads on Audiogon.

"New PS Audio DLIII unit + Stage IV Modification
DAC features:
* Stereo D to A converter
* Optical input
* Coaxial input
* USB input
* 24 bit DAC
* Front panel select 192kHz
* XLR and RCA outputs
* 192kHz upsampling circuitry
* 8 times oversampling filter
* Single stage IV converter
* Discrete FET output stage
The PS Audio Digital Link DAC III is a tremendous value at its $1000 retail price. It has received a superb review in the Absolute Sound March 2007 issue. Barry Willis said that the Link DAC "offers an almost frightening level of detail, 3-dimensionality and bass impact".

The Link DAC III is a fully balanced design that uses a Burr Brown 1798 chip set, one of the best DAC chips made. It has 24 bit/192K upsampling. It also has a USB input to run right from your computer. Our mod adds lots of premium parts and turns it into a world class performer at a very reasonable price.

The modifications are done by us here in California (Cullen Circuits).
Cullen is the California OEM company that made the DAC's until recently. They are now made in China to keep costs down. We know more about these DAC's than anyone. The Level-3 Cullen mod is the most comprehensive out there and clearly the best that we have heard.
• Price includes 1 new unit and Stage IV Mods.
• Replace 28 resistors in the audio signal path with Dale Rn55d copper leaded parts.
• Replace 11 electrolytic capacitors with audio grade Muse caps.
• Replace 8 FET's in the DAC’s output stage with hand matched low noise parts.
• Install ERS EMI/RFI Suppression cloth.
• Install WBT NexGen 210cu RCA jacks.
• Install clock modification board that replaces the 2 stock clocks with new Cullen designed clocks with ultra low jitter. This is done to both the clock and CODEC.

Performance enhancements are as follows:
-It is warmer with a more liquid midrange. The little glare of the stock unit is now gone with a more liquid presentation.

-The unit is Quieter. Backgrounds are BLACKER, thus resolving even more low level Detail with better ambiance retrieval.

-Bass slam and extension are dramatically improved with fuller weight and authority. The DAC now sounds more like big buck units that sell an the $3k to $5k range

-Transparency is improved and you can now look farther into the soundstage as Stage width and depth are both improved.

The modified DAC is Superb as well as being an exceptional value."

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2008, 12:02 pm by Big Red Machine »