Center Speaker to match with VR4 SRs

saucedlizard

Center Speaker to match with VR4 SRs
« on: 19 Dec 2008, 07:05 pm »
I'm moving my VR4 SRs into a hometheater system. Looking to spend around $1K or less for a center channel speaker, so the visiUN is out of the picture. Anyone have luck with the LCR15 or LCR20s? (there are a couple LCR15s on audiogon) Or possibly have a good match with a different brand?

Thanks for any help.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Center Speaker to match with VR4 SRs
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2008, 09:41 pm »
Martin Logan Cinema...none other will do.

MichiganMike

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:47 pm »
I tried the LCR15 as a center channel with my VR4 JR.  I was not satisfied with the match.  While timbre match was not bad, the LCR15 was clearly the weak link in my system for both movies and 5.1 music.  Sounds panning through the LCR15 center channel were a disappointment.  IMHO the difference using the LCR15 with the VR4 SR is likely to be even more pronounced. 

I replaced the LCR15 with a VR2, which was an improvement for the center channel, but still left be wanting more.  My current system uses a third VR 4JR as a center channel.  I bought a used pair of VR 4JR for $2000, since I could not locate a single speaker. 

You may be able to find a single VR4 JR for $1K or split a pair with someone.  If a VR4 JR is too high in the normal configuration, the bass module may be placed on its side with the MT module on top.  In my opinion a VR 4JR would be superior in your application to any center channel in the price range.

MichiganMike

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2008, 02:49 pm »
"Von Schweikert does make a suitable center channel and surrounds, but for front projection I'd be inclined to try three VR-4jrs across the front, perhaps turning the sub module on its side if needed for the system to clear the screen (the top mid/tweeter module separates from the woofers in the Watt/Puppy style, but is not available separately)."

Above quote is from http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/he2006/060406VonSchwei/, in which Tom Norton suggested the use of a VR-4JR as a center channel speaker. 

saucedlizard

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2008, 08:54 pm »
Thanks for the input. I may check with my dealer to see if they can come up with a single VR4 SR or JR mid/tweeter module. As it stands, I don't have room for the woofer module standing up or on its side. Even if I have to purchase a single VR4 JR, that may fit my price point. I could hold onto the woofer section until I could use it. Otherwise, Martin Logan Cinema sounds interesting. I tried my old Snell CR.5 and it wasn't a good match, too bright. When I find a solution, I'll post it. 

MichiganMike

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2008, 01:14 am »
I have reservations about the use of the MT module without the woofer module as a center channel.  The VR4 JR literature indicates crossover points at 200 Hz and 2.2 kHz.  If this is correct the crossover built into the MT module for midrange at 200 Hz is high for a center channel.  IMHO you will likely not be satisfied using the VR4 JR MT module as a center channel without the woofer module unless you modified the crossover.

I do not know the crossover points of the VR4 SR, but suspect these may present a similar issue.  You might test this by listening to your VR4 SR with the woofer module disconnected. 

I have only listened to the Martin Logan Cinema briefly.  My impression was that it sounded very good in the sweet spot, but the sweet spot was more limited than with my Von Schweikert speakers.

Another center channel speaker to consider is one from Salk Signature Sound.  I have the Salk SongTower speakers in a two channel system and am very pleased with these.  There is also a SongCenter that uses the same drivers as the SongTower and starts at $795 in standard finishes.  The tweeter used in the SongCenter has exceptional off-axis response and the midrange is very good making for highly intelligible dialog in a center channel.  The Salk Signature Sound Circle here on AudioCircle offers more information on Salk speakers.