Can you identify these? Absorbers or diffusors?

Big Red Machine

Can you identify these? Absorbers or diffusors?
« on: 19 Dec 2008, 05:15 pm »

There are no markings or labels or "dots" as the ASC website calls out for on these items.  Since they are so light I assume they are diffusors and not absorbers.  You can feel the wire mesh under the outer cloth and I can't shine a light through them.

Anybody have a hint what they are and by who?  I picked them up in an auction.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Can you identify these? Absorbers or diffusors?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2008, 05:27 pm »
Are you sure they're ASC and not a knockoff brand?

Generally, if they are ASC, they'd be absorptive with 1/2 of the circumference having a reflective membrane on top.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2008, 05:58 pm »
No idea what brand.  I reasd ther ASC website and it said line up the dots and there are no dots on these, so not sure the manufacture.  I'd have to cut them open to see the internals.  They are so light that I assumed diffusion of some sort.

If they are, where would I put them?

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2008, 06:37 pm »
They look like large toilet paper spindles.  Sorry I can't be of more help  :wink:

youngho

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2008, 07:02 pm »
Maybe they're homemade tube traps a la Jon Risch? If so, each cylinder may essentially represent two chicken wire cylinders with fiberglass between them, an air space in the middle, and three MDF or other composite material discs (two end caps and a smaller middle support). The airspace is supposed to help bass absorption. In any case, yours look like each one represents two different diameter cylinders stacked. If there's no reflective membrane (like saran wrap), they'll primarily act as absorbers, although how effectively so would depend on cylinder diameter and fiberglass thickness. Anyway, you can probably try putting them in the corners and seeing what happens.

If there is a reflective membrane, then they may act more as diffractors than true diffusors, but this might only be at higher frequencies.