wild duck in the oven how long?

kyrill

wild duck in the oven how long?
« on: 19 Dec 2008, 05:09 pm »
hi dear cooks

i am trying out a recipe for this evening
 wild duck ( without the legs and thighs)
 enclosed with garlic salt and pepper in an plastic bag which withstand 220 degr. Celsius--> 448 Fa

the different recipes on the net vary from 356-390 Fa and time
from 40 min. to even 90 minutes

I want the meat to be juicy not dry

who has some tips for me?

Wayner

Re: wild duck in the oven how long?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2008, 06:49 pm »
How many pounds does the duck weigh?

Wayner

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2008, 07:26 pm »
That's a no-brainer.  Ya keep him in the oven until he dies. :duh:

Brown

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2008, 07:48 pm »
hi dear cooks

i am trying out a recipe for this evening
 wild duck ( without the legs and thighs)
 enclosed with garlic salt and pepper in an plastic bag which withstand 220 degr. Celsius--> 448 Fa

the different recipes on the net vary from 356-390 Fa and time
from 40 min. to even 90 minutes

I want the meat to be juicy not dry

who has some tips for me?

when cooking meat in a bag, it will steam more than roast. Since it is a sealed bag i cannot see more than 1 hour. Check it after 45 minutes. if you  like it med my advice would be 1 hour at 375f. enjoy.

kyrill

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:20 pm »
well

duck meat is -in my opinon- not easy at the bones

breast as main course, ok brown it in a pan with butter, high flames 4 minutes and then 10-12 minutes in the oven.
not that difficult

but respecting the structure of the bird
flesh at bones

that is different.
after 12 minutes according to recipes you can eat the breasts but there is still "raw blood" at the carcas.

well dinner and my 2 guests enjoyed the taste, but i did not enjoyed the texture.
too stiff not juicy at all after browning it in butter in 6 minutes in olive oil then 37 minutes in the oven and 3 minutes under the grill, in total  much too much heat

there is no 2nd try for xmas dinner
i will abandon the plastic bags.
i do 32 minutes in the oven

and do a little prayer  :roll:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2008, 04:56 am »
Who would like to come up with a duck dressing?

some young guy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:14 pm »
Sorry I didn't see this one before....

IMHO duck should be broken down before cooking. As you've already stated, the breasts are great with very little heat, while the legs need to be cooked more.

I like to put the breasts in a thick-bottomed pan, over medium heat until they're rendered well. Then I put them in a 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes to bring them to medium rare. Let them rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.

My favorite treatment for the legs is to confit them. This is best when done a couple months ahead, but is still quite delicious right out of the fat. Trim the legs of excess fat, but leave most of it on. Make a cure with 1.5 cups kosher salt, .5 cup sugar, 12 juniper berries, 3 cloves garlic, .5 bunch of thyme and .5 t chili flakes. put a few tablespoons of the cure on half of the legs and then cover with the other half of the legs to form a "duck leg sandwich". let these sit and cure over night. Remove the cure and place legs in a pan of room temp. duck fat. You want to cover them completely with fat (rendered duck fat can be purchased from a lot of meat counters or online). Place the pan in the over at 275 degrees for about 6 hours or until the meat is very tender. This will keep (if everything is covered with fat) for a year. I like it best at about the 6 month mark, but like I said: it's good even right out of the fat.

I would brown the bones to be used for stock and strip away any fat to be rendered... because duck fat is great!

You can also braise the legs in stock and booze or what have you. You can use the meat in a salad, in a tart to garnish a soup, in a pasta etc. It's always nice to give your guests some different preparations to try out...