Rumored new Mac Mini

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Rumored new Mac Mini
« on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:20 pm »
Rumors rumors rumors, but looks about right to me

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/rumor-new-mac-m.html

Here's what Wired.com believes will be in the next Mac Mini, based on trends seen in Apple's latest products:

* Similar to the MacBooks, the Mac Mini will sport a silver enclosure composed of a block of aluminum.
    * Some internal parts will be PVC-free, and combined with its size and low power requirements, Apple will tout this as the "greenest Mac ever."
    * For video output, the Mac Mini will use the DRM-crippled DisplayPort for connectivity, which Apple is offering to manufacturers for a no-fee license.
    * It'll have a CD-DVD slot loader (i.e. Super Drive). There will be no Blu-ray player, because Steve Jobs believes the format is a "bag of hurt."
    * It'll ship with 2 GB of RAM, expandable to 4 GB — up from the current 1 GB, expandable to 2 GB. (The aluminum case should make expanding RAM easier than in the original Mini.)
    * It'll ship with at least a 160-GB hard drive.
    * The Mac Mini will come in two options with different processor speeds: a 2.0-GHz Core 2 Duo and a 2.3-GHz Core 2 Duo (up from 1.83 GHz and 2.0 GHz).
    * Like the higher-end MacBook and MacBook Pro, the 2.3-GHz Mac Mini will ship with an Nvidia video card, making this higher-end model a decent gaming device.
    * The 2.0-GHz Mac Mini will ship with an Intel video card, perhaps the GMA X3100 graphics card found in the low-end, white MacBook.
    * The slower model will cost $500, and the faster model will cost $700 ($100 less than the current Mac Minis), in light of the recession.

fiveoclockfriday

Re: Rumored new Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:46 pm »
Interesting, the Mini is certainly due for a speed bump. 2.0 and 2.3 aren't as fast as I would have hoped. I'd be willing to spend a little more to get a bit higher speed. 4gb ram and an actual video card would be awesome.

Only thing I hate is the new DisplayPort and it's big $$ required adapters - I remember when I bought my PowerBook and I was so impressed that they gave me adapters for DVI and VGA out of the box...a thing of the past now.

If it's close to this in reality, I will probably buy one. Would make a perfect home computer for me.

-Eric

funkmonkey

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2008, 09:37 pm »
Thanks jpq, The rumor mill continues to churn out hope for a better mini, rather than a discontinued one.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2008, 09:39 pm »
I am rather doubtful that they will provide higher end video solutions on the Mini.  Nevertheless, I wonder whether they can really afford to lose more converts due to their cheapening out on the video issue.  

The processor choice is rather pedestrian.  Still cannot believe that they are barely providing solutions in the low 2.0 ghz....of the plain dual core variety.  Has anyone seen the prices of higher speed dual cores and even some quad cores?  

If they take away firewire and they force shoves us that proprietary display technology, they should be further alienating possible converts in these tough economic times.  
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2008, 11:15 pm by Bemopti123 »

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2008, 09:43 pm »
I just have this feeling the Mini is going to go the way of the dodo.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2008, 10:16 pm »
I would really like to see this happen as it will be my new server...

chrisby

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2008, 10:26 pm »

now that'd be a shame for folks like my wife who want to migrate over from PC/MS land, but are quite happy to wait 'til their existing peripherals die.

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2008, 11:22 pm »

It is definitely possible that Apple will emphasize on the money making cows (Iphone, portables and the stores) at the expense of low end users that are into things like the Mini and that is embarrassing especially because it was the Mac computer enthusiasts that kept the company alive during the darker days of Apple in the late 90s. 

If they decide to shortchange people that have stood by them and when and if their futures dim, there will be no one left. 

PS:  That is why I just got a standard gaming PC tower running evil Vista 64 bits, because I got fed up of waiting for a newer and more powerful Apple based solution. 

Apple laptops rock, their low end computers are a rip in my page book. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2008, 05:14 am »
I hope the "New Mini" rumors, not the "Adios Mini" rumors, are true, because I detest the glossy screens that Apple is shoving down customers' throats. For me, this rules out the new-gen laptops (which I otherwise like), so that leaves me with a mini and a third party antiglare screen, in conjunction with a Linux netbook for portable use, as an alternative solution.

I like the Mac OS, and I prefer a laptop to a desktop, but if I can't find Apple hardware I like at a price I can afford (and right now I can't find an Apple notebook I completely like even at a price I can't afford)- well, then, my next machine may be a DellCheapo running Ubuntu, or some form of Hackintosh.

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2008, 05:18 am »
4gb of RAM and a real video card that would drive my 30" Cinema display and I'm in!

I've got plenty of external drives.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2008, 05:51 am »
After studying the new Macbooks versus the new Macbook Pro, this rumored Mini compares to the new Macbooks - almost like a Macbook without the screen. I am guessing there will be some differences if it actually comes out, but not much. But if there is a higher end Mini with the Macbook Pro's discrete videocard, wow. I would be surprised if that happened.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

Mariusz

« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2008, 01:34 am »
I like this prototype better

Cheers
Mariusz

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2009, 08:15 pm »
Latest stuff on the Mini - black with SATA optical (SWAP-OUT)

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/31/rumor-watch-new-mac-mini-go-for-launch/

Crimson

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan 2009, 03:52 pm »
With the exception of the new 17" Macbook pro, seems yesterday was a big letdown. :icon_frown:

GBB

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2009, 04:11 pm »
I like this prototype better

Or this one:  Apple introduces revolutionary laptop without keyboard!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

---Gary

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2009, 04:35 pm »
Yeah where's the mini? The 17 inch MBP is cool, but the mini update is long overdue!

As much as I like Apple products and software, they make it hard to give them money sometimes.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:43 am »
Yeah what a bust! There should be something later in the year if there is anyone still interested by then  :duh:

anthony a.

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2009, 07:35 pm »
total pissoff, imo.  im ready to buy a mini now and i won't wait another 2-3 months.  even if they gave us an idea that would allow me to hold off, if its significant.  of well, atleast they came up with a dumb macbook with no keyboard.  i heard one of the beta testers took 45 mins to send a regular email to a friend.  great thinking apple, gotta hand it to you for coming up with dumb new products and not expanding proven ones. 

Crimson

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2009, 07:41 pm »
total pissoff, imo.  im ready to buy a mini now and i won't wait another 2-3 months.  even if they gave us an idea that would allow me to hold off, if its significant.  of well, atleast they came up with a dumb macbook with no keyboard.  i heard one of the beta testers took 45 mins to send a regular email to a friend.  great thinking apple, gotta hand it to you for coming up with dumb new products and not expanding proven ones. 

Uh, that keyboardless laptop report was from The Onion.