Shipping of VR4 Jr's

audiogarry

Shipping of VR4 Jr's
« on: 16 Dec 2008, 03:48 pm »
I am thinking about upgrading from my VR2's to VR4 Jr's. The estimated weight on them is over 150 lbs so that exceeds the UPS limit.  Do they normally ship in 4 individual boxes, or just two? I'm hoping that the party I am considering purchasing them from has the original shipping containers as we don't live very close to arrange a mutual pick up point.

Charles Calkins

Re: Shipping of VR4 Jr's
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2008, 04:02 pm »
My VR-4 Gen III HSE's arrived in 4 boxes by UPS. Somewhere around 220lbs shipping weight.

Cheers

Charlie

jmc207

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2008, 04:15 pm »
My VR4-Jr's came in just two boxes, I believe. Each box has a plywood outer shell with a heavy cardboard inner box. They were shipped to me via BAX Global.

stewie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2008, 06:40 pm »
My VR4 HSEs arrived in three boxes: one each for the bass cabinets, and a third which held both tops.

keith

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2008, 12:24 am »
They come in two boxes.  If in their original boxes, they should be immune from the usual mishandling of shipping firms.   :D  They are packaged very well. 

Are congratulations in order?   :thumb:

MichiganMike

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2008, 04:07 pm »
As others have noted, each VR 4JR ships in its own shipping container.  If the speaker has not been loaded with additional weight, the two modules comprising each speaker will weigh about 80 lbs.  Many users add 25 to 50 lbs of lead or other weights to the compartment in the bass module which would increase shipping weight.  The plywood in the shipping container also adds considerable weight and bulk.  This container protects the speakers very well during shipment as Keith stated.  However, the size and weight will be above limits for many shippers even if there is no mass added to the bass module. 

I used a VR2 as a center channel with my VR 4JR for a time.  The VR 4JR is in my opinion a significant upgrade over the VR2.  So much so that I sold the VR2 and purchased another used pair of VR 4JR to use one as a center channel.  This creates a seamless LCR combination for home theater.  I now have a spare VR 4JR in storage.  If Von Schweikert had been willing to sell single VR 4JR speakers use of the VR 4JR as a center channel might have been more common.  One reviewer suggested putting the bass module on its side and MT module on top for use as a center channel.