Pirates of the Caribbean on DVD

bubba966

« on: 26 Nov 2003, 04:29 am »
So I go pick up Pirates tonight. I'm a bit annoyed that Disney now seems to feel like they need to put all of their movies in slip cases. Why bother with the cardboard slipcase when the art on the slipcase is exactly the same as what's on the case inside?

Maybe if something was different on the interior case that'd be cool. But it's not. And as they don't bother to shrink the exterior case, that gets beat to heel sometimes in shipping, not to mention that stores slap the price tag on that which takes some care to get off w/out f***ing up the cardboard sleeve.

And what's with the "First Time On DVD!" sticker on the cover of Pirates? Are people really that stupid that putting such a sticker on the cover would entice them further to buy it than if it wasn't there? Or did this actually get released 10 years ago somewhere and nobody told us?

Ahh well. Gotta stop bitching for a minute and go check out the transfer & DTS track... :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2003, 04:52 am »
Already!? :lol:   Damn, B, I've been drooling waiting for that one since I walked out of the theater after watching it.

I gotta get a friend on "the inside."  :wink:

So, how's the transfer?  And why haven't you set up my poll?! :nono:  :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2003, 05:51 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Already!? :lol:

But of course! :mrgreen: You know I don't always care to wait until things are "released"... :wink:  :lol:

I gotta get a friend on "the inside."  :wink:

Start makin' friends with someone at a Blockbuster or Hollywood...

So, how's the transfer?

Seems quite good so far. Not noticing any compression artifacts. Quite pleased with it so far. And while it says nothing about it anywhere on the disc or case it IS in DTS ES Discrete for those of us running such a setup.

And why haven't you set up my poll?! :nono:  :lol:

What're 'ya talkin' 'bout? This?

If not that, what then? You oughta learn how to run a poll... :wink:  :rotflmao:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2003, 07:14 am »
Yeah, I saw that.  Next time I'll look before running my mouth! :oops:  :lol:   Just how do you set up a poll?

I'm pretty stoked to try to get that going; it'd be cool to have dozens or more of us all posting stuff we have to trade.

Okay, the movie...it seriously is one of my favorite movies ever.  Truly a classic.

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2003, 09:07 am »
Sweet movie, I remember telling the Mrs. as we walked out of the theater how great it will sound with our set-up....she just  :roll:
You are the man, Brian.  I will be getting this movie as well.  We both really enjoyed it, I hope he gets to reprise his role!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2003, 10:07 pm »
Yeah, I'm not sure what you'd do for Pirates 2, but the entire cast was superb.  Rush' performance would have stolen the movie if not for the masterful work of Depp.  And Keira Knightley in a wet bodice! :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2003, 03:08 am »
Yeah, I'm not sure what you'd do for Pirates 2

Well, I guess you'll have to find out in 2005, won't you?

I did enjoy the entire cast. It's too bad that Rush won't be in the second one.

It will be interesting to see how Keira is looking in the second one as she was only 17 during the filming of Pirates. She's smokin' now, a couple of years should only make things better... :mrgreen:

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2003, 05:35 am »
Ok, found a hidden feature on disc 2 that's only mildy interesting.

Select the "Below Deck" feature off the main menu of disc 2. The Set Sail option will be highlighted. Press the left arrow twice while the set sail option is highlighted to highlight the skull on the Aztec gold medallion. Then press enter when that's highlighted.

You'll then watch a basic CG animation of the chase & fight between the Black Pearl & the Dauntless. Unfortunately they tell you nothing about this 6-7 minute long clip. But what you're watching is a CG rendering of what they want the scene to look like when shot on film so that they can get the camera angles & camera lenses figured out before they attempt to shoot it.

It's only interesting to see how close they came in the end to shooting it how they envisioned it to look in the first place. I think they shoulda had someone give you an explanation of what it is. I would've had no idea what I was watching if I hadn't seen it explained in the extras for Reloaded.

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2003, 06:02 am »
Ok, was bored and found 2 more hidden features on disc 2... :lol:

Select the "Fly On The Set" option from the main menu on disc 2. The play all selection will then be highlighted on the "Fly On The Set" sub-menu. With the play all selection highlighted, press right on your remote twice to highlight one of the teeth of the monkey. Once the monkey's tooth is highlighted, press enter to watch a time lapse video of the construction of the cave on a soundstage (set to a really hooible drum beat :( ).

The next one is a bit better... :)

Select the "Moonlight Serenade" Scene Progression option from the main menu on disc 2. Scroll down to the Main Menu option on the "Moonlight Serenade" sub-menu and press down on your remote twice. This will then highlight a tooth on the skeleton. Press enter with the tooth is highlighted and you'll get to watch a short interview w/Keith Richards.

rosconey

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2003, 11:33 am »
watched it last night :mrgreen: was pleasantly surprised :o
johny depp was perfect for his role, and played it right.

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2004, 09:29 pm »
from cnn-
johnny depp based the captain caracter in pirates after keith richards of the rolling stones-
man he had him down :o