Any suggestions for a cheap Region Free DVD player?

2gumby2

Any suggestions for a cheap Region Free DVD player?
« on: 14 Dec 2008, 03:57 pm »
My Apex DVD player died today and I will not buy any more Apex products. I am seeking a cheap (<$100) Region Free DVD player. Nothing fancy, just the basics. I know some DVD players that come in the box as Region 1 players can be reprogramed for Region 0. Any suggestions?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Any suggestions for a cheap Region Free DVD player?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2008, 04:39 pm »
An interesting question and I hope you get some good answers

I had an Apex at one time also - I think I shorted out one of the necessary circuits by changing cable connections with the power on? I seem to remember this was a problem with some models. But then I also managed to short out some circuit on my Toshiba $69 DVD player (which I used as a portable to bring to friends houses etc.)

Does anyne know what is likely happening to these units?

I find it is hard enough finding cheap ( as in <$60 ) DVD players that play divx/xvid and wmv from DVD+-R

What have you checked so far?
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2008, 07:35 pm by jqp »

jaywills

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2008, 06:57 pm »
You might consider a used Oppo off ebay (no affiliation with either).  Good luck.  Cordially,

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:16 pm »
Even the odd modifiable Toshibas that cost around $50 or less are extremely unreliable.  Believe it or not, in this aspect, spending a little more the first time will actually save you $$$.  I say Oppo, not really used but new. 

2gumby2

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:23 am »
I know the Oppos are good as I own three of them, but I'm looking for something my wife can use for her exercise and foreign film DVDs. I really don't need something as nice as the Oppo.

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:29 am »
I bought a Toshiba 3960 model, if I remember it well.  It was to be unlockable with some remote codes but it died less than 3 months, without much use.  There it went my $40 investment.  I know little of others that could be durable, region free and cost less than $100.

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:44 am »
I've read that you can set the Oppos to be region free. If I remember correctly it was as simple as hitting a series of buttons on the remote to unlock it. I think I read that over at Secrets of Home Theater but I'm not quite sure exactly where. I'm fairly sure (90/10) that they can be unlocked.

Lyndon

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2008, 05:01 am »
I believe the Philips DvP 5990 may be made region free. Check AVS Forums and Slick Deals threads
I have the older 5960, and now this one. Both have a USB connection for thumb drives, etc.
The 5960 has been my workhorse player for many different types of files.
It may be on sale at Costco this week for $40.
Cheap player, with HDMI outlet, Coax digital audio outlet
Not too bad :D
Region Free
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/ar...51069.html

Region code hack posted by muffin, April 21 2007:
press Setup
select Preference
Press 1,3,8,9,3,1
Press up/down key to select "0"