Where can you get a custom tube amplifier?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Where can you get a custom tube amplifier?
« on: 14 Dec 2008, 01:49 pm »
Niteshade Audio builds to your needs. We can design amplifiers according to what would match your listening environment. Everything made is point to point wired and we have a vast library of circuits to match any taste. How good is business? We're presently booked until after the holidays. People are finding it's more cost effective to get exactly what's required rather than purchasing multiple amps or extremely expensive ones. In an earlier time, when people could afford tailored clothes, curtains, etc... life was better. Items actually fit the needs they were purchased to fill. I am offering the same service for tube amplifiers. Our ordering process is straight forward and not confusing. On top of that, we're competitively priced with mass produced amplifiers.

Can afford a tailor? Yes you can.

Web site: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/Home

Email: cnyhpc@gmail.com

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: Where can you get a custom tube amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2008, 12:29 pm »
How about this idea for a custom amplifier?

Edcor 25 watt single ended output iron
Hammond extra large power transformer, low noise configuration
Large Reactor & Capacitor filtered
Single Ended Parallel Groove Tube 6L6GE's
Hovland MusiCaps
Carbon composition resistors
Non-Reactive power resistors
JJ/Tesla main filter capacitors
100% Copper Tube Amplifier Wire
Tube Rectification
Tunable Bias
17x10 steel chassis
Cardas 5-Ways & RCA Inputs
IEC Power Socket
12-3 Niteshade IEC Power Cord
Color of your choice

Any more ideas? This could be your amplifier.

Price as configured: $1,899.00, shipping included to the lower 48.
This product is not on our web site since it is a custom configuration.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2008, 12:40 pm »
People are finding it's more cost effective to get exactly what's required rather than purchasing multiple amps ...

Are you building multi-channel amps now?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2008, 01:30 pm »
I  build multi channel amplifiers using either single ended or push-pull configurations. The push-pull 6L6 designs can go up to 40 watts/channel.

People are finding it's more cost effective to get exactly what's required rather than purchasing multiple amps ...

Are you building multi-channel amps now?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2008, 02:34 pm »
What power ranges do we offer?

Anything from 1 watt to 100 watts per channel is standard. Anything above 75 watts/channel should be a monoblock design. For those who like tube rectification, we can put tube rectifiers in parallel for high current applications. Amps from 50 watts/channel up should have parallel tube rectifiers.

Something I like to harp on: High power does not in any way, shape or form automatically denote lower sonic standards. I don't know how this urban legend came out- the less is more theory as it pertains to power. It's not true! People have preferences for different tonalities- but one is not necessarily better than the other, except to you. There is no universal truth that low power units are better than higher power ones.

I will not argue that some high power amps sound bad- but so do some low powered units. This isn't about 'Ford vs Chevy' style arguing. It's about permanently abandoning untrue hearsay. Not all amps are created equal! That is the truth. Do not stereotype based on power ratings.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2008, 04:30 am »
A tube amplifier that can be made with specialized components of YOUR choice, all expertly interlocked via precision soldering and 1950's craftsmanship is sure to please.

Do not feel you need to know how to build an amplifier to order one. That's not how it works. Some people know exactly what they want and others require direction. We work equally well with both customer types.

Building tube amplifiers requires several skill sets. Here are a few:

1) Component interaction
2) Knowing which components are best for a specific job
3) Matching designs with expectations
4) The ability to mix and match circuit varieties to make the perfect amp for you
5) The ability to make efficient circuits that provide clean signal paths with minimal parts
6) Patience!  :banghead:  The way we make better products is to forge ahead. Success is based on the number of problems solved!

A translation: "Custom" means one of a kind. Very Special, Yours!!! Might I add extremely valuable? An amplifier to be coveted by others is indeed a good investment. Think of all the name brand, highly regraded components that can be placed in your amp. Just imagine that in conjunction with point to point wiring as a bonus.

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2008, 01:08 am by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2008, 12:48 pm »
A clean signal path is necessary for superb audio. We can make amplifiers utilizing a zero loop feedback design to insure minimal signal processing takes place. Our designs are always conservative and efficient insuring the best sound, prolonged tube life and easy upgrades. Are you new to tube technology? Our 6L6 based amplifiers are the way to go because they offer the most flexibility.

There is this misconception that less power equates to better sound quality. Why else would people be paying thousands for single-digit watt systems? It's based on the entire 'FIRST WATT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT WATT!!!' statement. That statement is oversimplified and should never be said like that. Our amplifiers are based on the fact that the last watt is just as important as the first. In fact, my customers who like high impact listening sessions always tell me how clean and articulate their amp is while being 'put to work'.  Making an amplifier that's as invigorating at 100 watts as the first watt takes a considerable amount of time, patience and other resources, including experience.

Tube amplification is very special. Actually, it's incredibly special. No other technology is as user friendly or can be made to be as close to the source. We're always happy to help. Please ask questions. Quotations are free. Ordering is easy. All amplifiers are custom made to your requirements. Isn't it time you treated yourself?

iGrant

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2008, 05:41 pm »

There is this misconception that less power equates to better sound quality. Why else would people be paying thousands for single-digit watt systems? It's based on the entire 'FIRST WATT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT WATT!!!' statement. That statement is oversimplified and should never be said like that. Our amplifiers are based on the fact that the last watt is just as important as the first. In fact, my customers who like high impact listening sessions always tell me how clean and articulate their amp is while being 'put to work'.  Making an amplifier that's as invigorating at 100 watts as the first watt takes a considerable amount of time, patience and other resources, including experience.

I've always said the last watt is the most important, what does it sound like just before it gets ugly type thing :) and typically most people new to obtaining high quality sound are with lower efficiency speakers and are more likely to be in the 1 to 5 watt range with double that for dynamics at nominal listening levels. Being a rocker at heart I am often listening to the last watt.

Cheers,
Ian

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2008, 01:33 pm »
The best wattage range for 87-90db speakers will be 50 to 100 watts per channel. For those who do not play their music loud, then no less than 20 watts per channel will work perfectly.  We have 20 watt/channel amps starting at $599.00 using Edcor output iron. The last watt is indeed extremely important. Amps that run out of gas too soon are not much fun. Different genres of music have optimal volume settings. It is **very** important that your amp is matched to your tastes, taking into consideration the rest of the sound system. Thank you for your input Ian!

"I've always said the last watt is the most important, what does it sound like just before it gets ugly type thing  :D and typically most people new to obtaining high quality sound are with lower efficiency speakers and are more likely to be in the 1 to 5 watt range with double that for dynamics at nominal listening levels. Being a rocker at heart I am often listening to the last watt."

« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2008, 03:11 pm by Niteshade »