A friend in need

mark@marktwain

A friend in need
« on: 12 Dec 2008, 04:04 pm »
Hiya fellas,

I have a friend with not much spare cash that would love to have a simple 2 channel rig. He's only interested in listening to cd's and maybe radio. I'd like to put something together for him and his wife as a christmas gift. Do any of you have a receiver, cd player or pair of speakers laying around your no longer using I could get for a little cash. It dosent have to be uber gear. Vintage or modern solid state or tube is fine as long as it's functional.

I do have a two channel audiosource amp-1 I could give him so if I could come up with a preamp and a pair of speakers that would be a pretty nice rig. I gave away all my other extra gear the last time I moved.

If anyone comes up with anything I'll be in St.Louis shopping with my family this Sunday so I could possibly pick it up.

Thanks a bunch,
Mark

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: A friend in need
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2008, 05:19 pm »
I've got a 400 disc Sony "MegaChanger". It works great as long as it's left turned on, or warmed up before listening to it, otherwise it skips when it's cold.  :scratch:
The remote control is sophisticated enough to remote operate a small space ship orbiting the Earth.

Also have a multichannel (modern) receiver that works fine. Remote control is missing. Can't recall the brand. RCA maybe?

I have a Garrard TT that was a console pull if he's interested. It spins, but have never tried to play tunes. (no charge/free)

I've got a stack of component gear and can't recall what all I have anymore. Nothing fancy or even what you'd call "eye-brow raising", but it's all functional. No speakers though.
I'll check what else I have when I get home.

If he needs DirecTv TiVo receivers/Dish/Splitter, I can "hook him up".  :lol:

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2008, 12:37 am »
Hey Mark,

I've got an old Dynaco PAS?T? 4 channel (SS) integrated I could add to the cause. The pots need to be cleaned but other than that it works fine, even has a phono stage. I've got a pair of monitor sized speaker cabinets and some raw drivers too. You could pick up one of the cheap PE prebuilt crossovers and they'd probably sound OK. I think I've got a single disk CD player (nothing fancy) you could have too.

Lemme know

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2008, 02:02 am »
I can donate Trends Audio digital amp and pair of Pioneer high efficiency drivers which sound pretty good as well as a pair of super tweeters with crossover which looks like "Frankenstein" but works. Here are some pics and links:
(the drivers and tweeters are mounted in my DIY project for my daughter but I have plenty other 8" drivers in my basement)

PM me if interested.
Happy to help out if it matters  :wave:

Mariusz  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2008, 02:29 pm »
PM sent.

electricbear

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2008, 03:49 pm »
I have an NAD 2 channel receiver I can donate. It needs the volume pot cleaned but would make a good starter piece for someone. I also have an older Denon Dvd player that could be used for cd playback. Again free to a good home. let me know if you're interested.

mark@marktwain

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2008, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for all the offers guys, it's much appreciated. I'm going to take electricbear up on his offer for the NAD receiver and Denon DVD player. I'm also bidding on a pair of the best buy Insignia coaxials, wish me luck on those. If I don't win the coaxials I found a pair of JBL bookshelf's I'll give him.

Mark

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2008, 10:41 pm »
But I wanted the NAD.  :bawl:

Bob  :wink:  :lol:

John151

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2008, 11:05 pm »
Mark  - You are indeed a good friend. 

Nothing better than a nice, simple, two channel rig to get someone started.  I started with a 20 Watt Rotel Amp,  Rega TT, and Linn Speakers.  It was such an elegant and affordable system, and sounded so much better than the crap at high volume electronics stores. 

mark@marktwain

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2008, 12:19 am »
But I wanted the NAD

Yeah, I was thinkin that too Bob. My buddy is gonna get a pretty nice starter rig, a lot better than the JcPenny all in one pile a @#$ I started out with when I was a youngster. :lol: It had am/fm, TT and 8-track, CDees wern't even thought of yet. When I got a job at around 14 or 15 I built a technics component rig. Boy I thought I had it goin on then. Blew out three pairs of technics speakers before I upgraded to JBL's. I still have those JBL's.

Mark

Scott F.

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2008, 12:19 am »
Mark,

That should make a fine sounding little system for your friend :thumb: