Clarinet problems

alpa6

Clarinet problems
« on: 11 Dec 2008, 06:46 am »
Well i finished it up tonight.Adding the custom rca jacks made me feel like i was building a ship in a bottle.LOL!
I have one problem its dead.Yep nothing :D
So here's my problem i think.I could not use the stock power switch,powerjack.
I had to order mine in two peices.A switch and a power cord receptical.I mounted both.It seems to me this is the problem.I must of wired it up wrong.
How do you wire the switch and power receptical connections?
My switch has 4 prongs on it.It lights up when on.The power receptical has 3 prongs.Their mounted side by side.
So what goes where?
I tried useing my cornet 2 to figure whats up with the wireing.I used the hammond 2 inch chassis.To see the wireing i must take it all apart.My first effort was my best guess.
Any idea's?
Oh one other thing i forgot to do a alcohol soak could this be the problem?

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Re: Clarinet problems
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2008, 07:21 am »
Does it need a fuse in the ac input connector?  Use an ac voltmeter to track the power in and out of tranny.  Then see what you get for dc voltages on the other side.

jh

alpa6

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:31 pm »
I fixed it!!!!!!!!
Even out of the box with new tubes it sounds so smooth!I know auricaps sound better after 50 hours and new tubes after 25 so basicly im amazed!
This thing sounds better than my bottlehead foreplay 2 and its not even broken in.No hum either.Its dead quiet.
Jim i might have to buy some amp kits.I just might :D

tubesforever

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:18 pm »
Glad you got the wires sorted out.  It always seems to be the silly stupid stuff that clobbers me. 

One word of advice is to take the earth ground lug from the IEC recepticle to the ground post near the RCA's, and then take that back to the board.  Use the ground post as the star grounding location for the Clarinet and for the Cornet or Cornet 2.  Star grounding from the ground post is important if you ever end up with ground loop issues down the road.

Yeah this Clarinet is superbly quiet!   

I took it up to a friend's home who owns a Conrad Johnson PV12.  We listened to a few sides with the CJ playing through a Cary tube amp.  Then we plugged in my Cornet 2 into the CJ line stage.  That was a definite improvement in overall sonics. 

After a few sides I ran down to my truck and brought up the Clarinet.  I just had to hear a full Hagerman front end.  At first, we thought we hadn't made the connections correctly.  Then Modest Mussorgsky planted us in our listening seats.  The Clarinet was so much more clear and quiet that it was like listening to a completely different performance.  The recording was much more exciting and detailed.   

The MSFL LP also had Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.  What a difference.  I could hear the orchestra move and shuffle like I do when listening to a live orchestra.  The Clarinet is the stand out piece of my system.  Everything I plug in plays better through the Clarinet. 

Welcome to the Hagerman clan!