Looking for a nice tonearm (I really would like a AudioQuest PT-6>.

Wayner

I have a great table project going, but I've decided the tonearm has to go, so I'm looking for a good used one (not too expensive). Let me know if you have an extra one.

It has to have VTA adjustment and cables.

Wayner

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Hey Wayner,
 What are you working on? I don't know what you're looking to spend (I am not selling) but have you considered a RB250 or 300 with a VTAF devise.

Wayner

I really don't want a REGA arm. I'm looking for something (like an Audioquest) that has VTA adjustment (wide range) and DIN cable ready, in fact I need a cable, too. This project isn't worth a REGA arm, as I've made most of it from scraps. I do need a better arm than the one I'm using.

Wayner

TheChairGuy

Wayner - there's a guy on Audiogon that sells the JELCO SA-250 arm for under $300 new.  It's the same as the AQ PT-6 arm, I believe.

The Pete Riggle VTAF is another $179.00...but I think there is less expensive VTA kits out there too (but you can't
do it on the fly)

I'm pretty sure the DIN-to-RCA cable is not included at that cost....that'll be extra (yikes!).  I like the AQ over the equivalent Rega arms because they have optional fluid/pivot damping and a (seemingly) better damped tube.....tho I have to say the performance with the Rega was pretty dang good, too when I owned one.

There's more examples of used Rega's out there that you can buy, too, and they too have VTA retro-fit kits.

John

Wayner

Well, I bought a Rega R-200 for $149. It looks to be in fine shape and the dollar amount was right at my limit. Thanks Tom for your offer. Now the project is going to go in a new direction. The new table will have an Acoustic Research platter and bearing, a Rega RB-200 tonearm, a VPI (Hurst) motor and I'm thinking about mounting the platter and tonearm on a maple butcher block (keep John TCG happy). That way, I can kill several birds with one stone. I will be having the plinth CNC milled to .001" tolerance and I will shoot for Baerwalds perfect tonearm specifications. This will be a fun project for over Christmas holidays.

Wayner  :D

Wayner

Here is a couple of photos of the new arm:

Wayner

TheChairGuy

The new table will have an Acoustic Research platter and bearing, a Rega RB-200 tonearm, a VPI (Hurst) motor and I'm thinking about mounting the platter and tonearm on a maple butcher block (keep John TCG happy).

Anything that sounds good to you - makes me happy  :thumb:

A maple butcher block has made me very happy the past year+, tho....so much so that I later put 2 more 3.5" blocks under my speakers to similar, if not as spectacular, effect :singing:

Nice project....

Enjoy, John