7bsst amp compatable with revel 2 salons or studio 2

bd223

I"m worried about the 3.5 ohm load of the revels,will my 7bsst,s handle it with ease.I listen to music and home theater at loud levels   thanks

drummermitchell

Re: 7bsst amp compatable with revel 2 salons or studio 2
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:42 am »
I believe my Revel 50as go down to 5 ohms nominal and 3.2 ohms minimal @ 64hz.
I also have 7BsstsX3 and no problems whatsoever.I think they work great together.
Maybe next year I'll aspire to the 28-ssts,just because 8) 8) 8).

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:49 am »
PS,Iam using two Torus units also,20a 240v balanced and the monster(not the conditioner)god forbid.
and a 60a 240v Torus,I have to say they are a major upgrade.

bd223

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:10 am »
I have 3 7bsst"s for the front and a 6 bsst for the rears and was equally concerned about those as well driving studios or gem2s at 300 watts

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:19 am »
geez,we almost have a mirrrored system as I have 3X7bssts and 2X4Bssts and of course,revel speakers.
James should be able to ease your mind.I have had no problems yet and I do run 2XDD-15 subs also :thumb:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:09 pm »
I"m worried about the 3.5 ohm load of the revels,will my 7bsst,s handle it with ease.I listen to music and home theater at loud levels   thanks

Hi bd,

When it comes to low speaker impedances the major concern is how 'reactive' that low impedance is and over what range of frequencies it occurs.  Some speakers especially electrostatic types have very 'reactive' loads and it is much more difficult for the amplifier to deliver high current into these kinds of loads. Most typical 'dynamic' type speakers though, like the Revels may have low impedances but they are far less 'reactive' and more 'resistive' in their nature.

Also where the low impedance is in the frequency response is important. For example the Martin Logan Electrostatics have a low impedance of 1.8 ohms on some speakers but it is at 10,000 cycles so it's much easier for the amplfier to deliver power into that 10K than at lower bass or midband frequencies.

So, long story short, the 7B will have absolutly no issues with 3.5 ohms on the Revels no matter where if lies.

james

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:48 pm »
I have heard the Revel Salons powered by Bryston, I want to say it was a 7 something version but not completely sure. It had absolutely no problem powering the Ultima's in the showroom to some impressive dynamic levels. :o

bd223

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:15 pm »
Thank you very for taking the time to answer my question regarding the revels and bryston combo.I think its outstanding to have such a high level member of your company to personally take time out to answer my question!also like to thank audiocircle for their valuable input.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:05 am »
My 4BSST clips at very high volumes. Should I go for the 7BSST?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:06 am »
My 4BSST clips at very high volumes. Should I go for the 7BSST?

If your clipping then I would recommend more power.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:10 am »
That's what I thought...unfortunately, I can't afford a 7B or 14B SST at the present time. So, I just watch my volume with the 4B, true?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2008, 11:10 am »
That's what I thought...unfortunately, I can't afford a 7B or 14B SST at the present time. So, I just watch my volume with the 4B, true?

Hi Dave,

True - clipping will not hurt the amplifier but it will cause driver damage.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2008, 08:57 pm »
I see. My JBLs have a recommended amp power of 300 Watts per channel. They've been measured at 4 ohms in the various reviews I've seen. So, I'm running 500 Watts per channel. I suppose I have enough power...just until the volume control is pushed all the way. That's what I was getting at.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2008, 10:35 pm »
I see. My JBLs have a recommended amp power of 300 Watts per channel. They've been measured at 4 ohms in the various reviews I've seen. So, I'm running 500 Watts per channel. I suppose I have enough power...just until the volume control is pushed all the way. That's what I was getting at.

Clipping an amplifier can cause spurious transient energy at 3-4 times the power rating to be fed to the drivers. So just because a speaker is rated at 300 watts it does not protect the drivers from serious damage.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2008, 11:50 pm »
I see. Thanks for the info. So does that mean I have enough power?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2008, 11:58 pm »
I see. Thanks for the info. So does that mean I have enough power?

Hi Dave,

If you see RED lights flashing then you do not have enough power at the levels you listen at.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2008, 12:24 am »
I see...thanks again!

yyz

« Reply #17 on: 14 Dec 2008, 06:18 pm »
I have had Salon1 and 7B-SST for 5 years in a nice big room. I played a variety of music and usually loudly if I liked the tunes, The amps had no performance issues at all and I never noticed it clipping.

I sold the Salon1 and kept the 7B-SST.

The Salons have a laid back sound to me. I thought this was with the amps but after hearing the Salon1 and Studio2 with different amps I think it is a characteristic of the speaker.

mr_bill

« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:14 pm »
YYZ,
Are both Salon 1 and the newer Studio 2 laid back sounding?

yyz

« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2008, 05:23 pm »
The Salon1 is the best speaker I have ever owned. It was superb for my reggae, acoustic, jazz, and pop. However, I found it a little lacking (minor) in the excitement factor for hard rock. Rush, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Zeppelin, etc... It could have been that the Salons were just accurate and the recordings were lacking in sound quality. I use only CD's (not LP's) and my collection usually consists of the best regarded versions of the CD's. If a better CD resissue comes out I am one of the first (fools?) to buy it.

The link below give a bit more detail about my statement:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1228071317

I am not making a big issue about this and would not have sold my Salon's if not for a move to a small apartment from my previous place. However, now that the Salons are gone and a new speaker is in the future (now 3 more years :cry:) I wanted to try to remedy the one minor issue I had with the Salons. It could be that my next speaker will be great in the "rock excitement" aspect but is lacking is certain areas where the Salons kick butt.

I read the review that James Tanner gave for the Thiel CS3.7 and I want to hear those speakers to compare against the Salon1. I hope to find a place in Toronto this Christmas holidays to do so when I come up for a visit. I read that the Thiel CS3.7 referred to as a fast speaker but I do not understand what that means so it should be an enlightening listening session. I also found some happiness listening to the B&W 802D for some rock music but I did not have the best equipment or room for that session.

Regards