Bryston BCD-1

toffe

Bryston BCD-1
« on: 8 Dec 2008, 12:52 pm »
Hi James Tanner

I have bought a Bryston B100 SST from a dealer.
And I am very satisfied with the amplifier.

Now I am in process to buy a CD Player. (Bryston BCD-1)
QUESTION: Dealer have given me an option to buy a BCD-1 from 2007,
or a BCD-1 from 2008.
Is there any diference between these 2 CD players?
What about guaranty?
Shall the serial number always be mentioned on the receipt from the dealer?
Toffe
oyvind.kjellin@hoegh.com

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BCD-1
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2008, 01:20 pm »
Hi Toffe,

The CD Player has not changed so a 2007 is the same as a 2008. The warranty is 3 years from the "date of manufacture" so it might be something to consider.

Yes I need the dealer and the serial number for the warranty.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2008, 04:40 pm »
MEMO - Bryston Customer Feedback
SUBJECT – Bryston BCD-1 CD Player

Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:19 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Bryston BCD-1...Magic!

Hello James,

I had to write to tell you how much I'm enjoying listening to music using my Bryston BCD-1. I read the reviews, followed the reviews online and then decided that the BCD-1 was the CD player that I wanted to have, the last one that I'd have to purchase.

In the last two weeks, I've listened to more music than I normally listen to in six to eight weeks. I had to move my speakers (Monitor Audio RS6) just slightly towards my listening area to find the "sweet spot". The BCD-1 reveals more on each CD than I ever knew was there. Some of the recordings I've listened to include Santana's Abraxas, a number of Steely Dan discs as well as one of my favourites, Tito Puente's "Goza Mi Timbal". I have this recording both on SACD and CD. My brother had the great fortune of meeting and working with Tito Puente on this release as well as others. I guess I'm somewhat partial to this recording! Thank you for your quick, positive and enthusiastic responses to my e-mails.

The Bryston BCD-1 has surpassed all of the very positive comments and reviews that I have read in the last five or six weeks. I must tell you that the dealer from whom I purchased the BCD-1 from, and especially my contact there, Dave Budden, have been very helpful to me in every way. The dealer is West End Electronics and they're located in St. John's, NL.

The wait for the Bryston BCD-1 was definitely worth it!

Sincerely,
Rick Murphy
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2008, 05:51 pm by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2008, 07:26 pm »
She'll definately be my last cdp :thumb:.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:01 am »
I'm getting the BDA-1 and using my current cdp as a transport. Is this a good idea?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:07 am »
I'm getting the BDA-1 and using my current cdp as a transport. Is this a good idea?

Yes -great idea.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:09 am »
Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2008, 05:36 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston Dealers
SUBJECT: Absolute Sound Product of the Year Award 2008

December 2008,

Hi All,

I am very pleased to announce that the Bryston BCD-1 CD Player has won a PRODUCT OF THE YEAR AWARD (see comments below) in the January 2009 issue of the very prestigious Absolute Sound magazine.

Absolute Sound Product Of The Year Awards:

Bryston BCD-1

“This first CD player from the venerable Canadian company best known for its power amplifiers was like a bolt out of the blue.

The BCD-1 delivers a coherent musical presentation in which each instrument is clearly separated from the rest, giving the listener the ability to follow complex arrangements with ease.  This resolution, along with the BCD-1’s magnificent sense of layering, depth, and space, elevate the BCD-1 above the similarly priced competition. The BCD-1 is also very “clean” sounding with quick transients, see-through transparency, and dynamic immediacy. The build-quality is outstanding, as are the premium parts inside (fully discrete Class A output stage, for example).

It all adds up to one compelling package.” (Reviewed by AT in Issue 184)

vegasdave

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2008, 09:01 pm »
Cool. You guys deserve it, because you've earned it.

99p5lude

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2008, 01:24 am »
Got one of these bad boy. And I am in heaven!!!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2008, 02:49 pm »
Customer Feedback:

Mr James Tanner

Since 1983 I have owned several CD players, some quite expensive.  After an hour of listening to them glare and a  hardening of the sound would set in. But with a collection of CD’s to play I wanted to buy one “last” CD Player. I choose the Bryston BCD-1.

Wes Phillips said in Stereophile that the Linn Sonder CD 12 was the first CD Player that he could listen to all day.  I would say the same about the non-fatiguing extremely musical BCD-1.

Thank you Bryston and thank you for your Patience

Geoff Graig
Vancouver, BC
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2008, 12:07 pm by James Tanner »

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2008, 03:27 am »
Pretty cool!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2008, 11:54 am »
MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Customer Feedback on BCD-1 CD Player

December 14th 2008

BCD-1 LOVING IT!

Hey  James,

Hope this finds you well.  I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents on the BCD-1.

I've been on the fence for a longtime regarding buying a good CD player. Working in the high end industry for over half of my life, I've been spoiled beyond most peoples wildest dreams with regards to all of the gear and toys I've been fortunate enough to play with. When audiophile's, client's and associates ask what I have in my own home they usually scratch their heads as to why I have never had a great CD player. (I've had good one's, just never a great one) The reason being is simply because I've always been turned off by most CD players that I could actually afford. You had to spend a fortune to get a good, faithful source and even then I often found those CD players producing that particular companies interpretation of the music or the CD, not the CD itself. Some would warm it up, some would seem to mask the high end, the list goes on and on.

I had hoped for years that you guys would bring a CD player to market and was more than a little excited when I heard you were. I can only begin by saying that this player simply IS. Heavy that is! I thought this was a CD player, not an amp! It really has some meat to it.

All kidding aside, sonically the BCD-1 does not interpret the music. It gives you what is on the CD without coloring it. The CD's I've played so far have been brutally honest. Funny story, but the one most noticeable thing so far is what I have actually heard at the ends of songs believe it or not. Every once in a while little bits of extra stuff are recorded before the track ends and I wonder if they're meant to be there or not sometimes. At the end of Machine Head's "Struck A Nerve" off The More Thing Change album for instance (a very fast song with heavy drums) you can clearly hear the drummer, Dave McClain (who is quite a character) yelling "MAKEUPPPP!!!" at the end of a take and "I hope that's it... because I'm about to pass out!" at the end of another song. It was hilarious! 

I'm not your typical "audiophile" as you might tell. I'm a musician so I do respect a ton of and listen to lots of music of almost all genres. I've thrown everything at my BCD-1 from Fear Factory to Johnny Cash to you name it, this thing resolves bass so tight and firm that I have been picking up my own guitar and jumping behind my drum kit far more lately. The BCD-1 is just like every Bryston component that has come before it, it gets out of the way and is faithful to the recording. It simply does it's job.

Great job guys!

By the way James, since I left my A/V industry position and have been attending UCLA film school, I've been using my system for numerous projects. What an investment I have made into the Bryston family. Even though my life is headed towards a career in Cinematography, being able to play projects back on such a reference system has led to quite a bit of inspiration both visually and sonically. I've also made a few new friends that want time at my house on my Bryston/Mac Logic Studio set up!

Take care man!

Regards,
Brent Esry

vegasdave

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2008, 09:32 pm »
"The BCD-1 is just like every Bryston component that has come before it, it gets out of the way and is faithful to the recording. It simply does it's job."

I just wanted to highlight that statement.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2008, 10:59 pm »
Customer FeedbacK:

"Dear James,

I wanted to wish you and all the folks at Bryston a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

And to thank you for the advice regarding shorter speaker cables.  I had been using 8 ft. long 10 gauge twisted copper wire cables from our 3b amplifier to Thiel 3.7 speakers.  The sound was quite good.  However, after reading your discussion on audiocircle re: speaker wire, I ordered a pair of 4 ft. Bryston cables. Since connecting them to the 3.7's I have been pretty amazed at the difference in the sound.  Best as I can describe it, the difference is similar to running a water faucet with the tap half open versus turning it on full stream.  The Bryston cables do not color the sound, rather there is just more of it.

To reiterate what I told you in an earlier email: the BCD-1 is quite phenomenal!  This afternoon I was playing a new CD of David Russell playing classical guitar, entitled AIR ON A G STRING.  It was recorded using Direct Stream Digital, and the CD is 24/96 bit.  The CD player puts Mr. Russell's guitar in the room with all the sustain and decay of notes, and naturalness of sound as if he were playing live in front of me.  Wonderful.  I would characterize the BCD-1 as absolutely honest.  Which I consider a highest accolade for any sound component.

Having grown up with both parents classically trained musicians, in a house full of music, two grand pianos, and an assortment of guitars, flutes, recorders, I know what live music up close and personal sounds like.  My mother was a concert pianist.  She was a student of Rudolph Serkin.  She went to Julliard and played both solo and with chamber music ensembles, taught piano, and practiced with us as her rapt audience.  My father graduated from Julliard in voice.  My sister is a professor of voice at Marshall University and her husband is the head of the flute department there.  Both my brother and I are amateur classical guitarists.   Thus when I describe the BCD-1 as being honest, I mean that it reproduces music from the CD, with the pitch, rhythm, timbre, tempo, and emotional impact that is true to the performance.  Of course, with the caveat, that the recording of the performance is technically well done.   If not, then the dark side of having reference quality components comes to the fore.  You hear what is there. 

So, thank you Bryston for building a superlative CDP.

Again, best wishes to all of you at Bryston for a wonderful Holiday Season!"

Best regards,
Richard Marshall 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:51 am »
Hi Toffe,

The CD Player has not changed so a 2007 is the same as a 2008. The warranty is 3 years from the "date of manufacture" so it might be something to consider.

james

James,

what about the software? 2007 and 2008 are the same?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2008, 12:20 pm »
Hi Toffe,

james

Yes there is some 2008 software but that is easily loaded on a 2007 player.

james

James,

what about the software? 2007 and 2008 are the same?

al.

1oldguy

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2009, 11:45 pm »
Hi James

Wondering If the latest software version is in the BCD-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2009, 11:58 pm »
Hi James

Wondering If the latest software version is in the BCD-1?

Hi,

July 2008

james