Gittaretyp open baffle

Lazz

Gittaretyp open baffle
« on: 7 Dec 2008, 11:44 am »
Hello Gittaretyp,I noticed your ob's with the radian/ib15's {they look excellent}and wanted to ask a few questions.Can you tell me what you think of the sound as a whole and how the radian coaxial and woofers handle all types of music e.g do they remain clear and accurate sounding when pushed harder and what are they like for portraying the finer sounding nuances in the music.What xover set up are you using.Would you change anything if you were to start again?Did you consider any of the PAudio coaxes-I've been told one of the 12" models is very good.Can you describe the sound of the Radian as opposed to a normal tweeter/midrange set up.I have heard one of the old Tannoy 12's from the 80's and the was quite impressed.Sorry for all the questions but I want to build something similar.I was thinking about the IB15's as soon as they were released but didn't want to rush in because I am in Australia and shipping is expensive.Now if they are really good I am probably going to have to wait at least a while due to the Aussie$ being crap compared to the US.Maybe I can get them through AE but direct from China to save on shipping.Regards Leon.

Lazz

Re: Gittaretyp open baffle
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2008, 10:52 pm »
bump

gitarretyp

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:36 am »
Leon,

I really like the IB15s. They produce the best bass i've heard and can handle pretty high output levels, provided you have enough power. As i have them now, they're reasonably flat to 20Hz, but that takes some eqing --i'm using a bbe ds48 crossover/eq. I would highly recommend the ib or ob15s for your project. As a warning, they like power and be sure to have a sturdy baffle.

I'm not as happy with the radians, however. Their midrange is quite nice --smooth and fairly detailed. The response drops quite rapidly below 200Hz, but i wouldn't want to use them below that because of their limited xmax. I am not happy with the compression driver. It's somewhat sterile and has stored energy issues that lead to colorations and sibilance i cannot remove despite repeated attempts. Aside from the colorations from the tweeter, they sound fairly similar to my previous accuton/bg/seas dipoles. The radians have better macro dynamics (ie, snare drums) and ease of presentation but lack a little in detail, nuance, and micro dynamics (ie, plucked strings). I will not likely be returning to conventional hifi drivers, having had a prosound based setup.

I may just be being picky or am somewhat sensitive to the tweeter colorations because several people that have had the radians love them. When i got the radians, the paudios were not on my radar. If i were redoing the project, i'd strongly consider the paudios or the b&c 8cxt. Having said that, i'm on the verge of buying a set of Gedlee's Nathans.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:57 am »
I'm curious, gitarretyp, would you go with the OB IB15s for bass if you went with the Nathans?

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:05 am »
I'm curious, gitarretyp, would you go with the OB IB15s for bass if you went with the Nathans?

Probably not due to size constraints. There's just not a practical way in which to put subs that large in the room, for me anyway.

Lazz

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2008, 11:51 am »
Gittaretyp have you or anyone else heard the Paudio 15cx38 preferably in open baffle.Thats one driver we can source here in OZ and possibly one I may use.But I dont want to purchase them then regret it because they dont sound as good as I hoped.I can also get the B&C coaxials.Thx Leon

gitarretyp

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2008, 10:57 pm »
I've not heard any of the paudio line, so i can't really comment on their quality.

gopies

Paudio's in OB
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2008, 10:57 am »
I had P audio cx38 in opne baffles, used JE labs OB size. Extremely good in imaging, bass lacking <60 or so hz, mid bass not well defined, and tweeter was just far too harsh, despite attempts to attenuate, pad down, use different caps. I gave up on it eventually. To many short comings for me. If just listening to vocals, simple instruments, ideal; as mentioned, imaging great.
hope that helps
jon

gitarretyp

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2008, 04:53 pm »
Sorry, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2008, 06:18 pm by gitarretyp »