A simple all-thread rack

BillB

A simple all-thread rack
« on: 6 Dec 2008, 10:48 pm »
Through deduction I found out my mom got me a blu-ray player for Christmas and realized I was slap out of space in the temporary rack I was using (Basically a TV stand with some space for my HD-DVD player and BFD with the Onkyo on top).

I decided to build one and originally had this outrageous plan (as usual). I decided to scale it back when a kind soul on the av123 forum showed me a couple racks made from all-thread and then covered with pipe to hide the bolts and rod.

So, I went to Home Depot, got some 3/4" MDF, 16' of all thread, nuts, couplers and some PVC to cover it all up. I plan on painting the PVC red pepper (a krylon fusion color) and flat black for the shelves.

I need another 2x4 piece of MDF to add 2 more shelves, but here it is with the 6 shelves currently test fitted:

The rack will be filled as follows:

Onkyo 805 Top
Sony BDP-350
Toshiba HD-A35
Behringer FD
DirecTV HD receiver
DVD rack
DVD rack

Cost was about $155 complete (paint and supplies included)

Time involved so far, about 4.5hrs, probably another 4 or so remaining for finishing.

Folsom

Re: A simple all-thread rack
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2008, 11:58 pm »
You should fill the PVC and glue it. Fill it with something heavy. Also why not have the base all threads extend to the ground and have adjustable feet?(or cones or something) You are better off not having a flat surface on the ground as far as vibrations go.

Also you might want to put something on the edges of the MDF, it can come apart or round pretty easy. I am not sure what, vaneer, or some sort of trim, no idea really...

In the future for anyone else I am going to mention that three legged (one in back) stands are MUCH easier to get level and provide less vibrations due to less contact with the ground.

BillB

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:06 am »
Yeah the bottom will not be flat.

I have rounded the sides and after painting will clear coat as well.

I don't think I will fill the pvc though, as it is right now minus 2 shelves and associated piping it weighs probably 130-150 lbs.

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:13 am »
Looking forward to seeing what it looks like painted.  :)

BillB

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:19 am »
I hope to finish before Christmas since that is when I will need it!! I am flying out to Dallas again next week, returning Thursday but my parents will be in town that weekend...so the next weekend I will probably be able to work on it...tomorrow I have to write a paper and go buy a DS for Z.

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:24 am »
Hey I think I know this BillB guy.   :wink:

Looking good there bro-ham!  :thumb:

BillB

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2008, 06:05 am »
Yeah...sorry my name is different over here...I signed up when the billnchristy name wasnt so famous. :lol:

whams

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2008, 10:36 am »
In the future for anyone else I am going to mention that three legged (one in back) stands are MUCH easier to get level and provide less vibrations due to less contact with the ground.

Maybe so... but then you have a rod right in the middle (at the rear) of you shelves which is often in the way of cables etc. coming from the rear of your gear.

I have made a four rod version rack very similar to this one and it wasn't exactly 'hard' to get level.

Well done Bill, looks good mate...

BillB

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2008, 04:30 am »
Finished it up just in time to install the Blu-Ray Thursday!