Poll

Which Dynaco unit would you like to see rebuilt next?

Another Stereo 70
3 (10.7%)
Another PAS preamp
4 (14.3%)
An FM-3 Stereo Tuner
12 (42.9%)
A Mark III Mono Amplifier
5 (17.9%)
something else (please specify)
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Help me decide which Dynaco project to tackle next!

Bill Thomas

So far, *I* have been the one to decide which Dynaco product to rebuild/restore.  I thought it might be fun to see what YOU would find interesting.  Here's an opportunity for you to add YOUR "two cents worth" in determining a future "rebuild project"!  I will take all of this into consideration in determining what to tackle next.

Since I am playing the "benevolent dictator" here, please realize that other considerations MAY determine the eventual outcome of events.  Also remember, I can't rebuild what I don't have, so availability will also play a factor in determining the eventual "winner."

In other words, no matter what the outcome of the poll, other considerations *may* cause me to head in a different direction.  I have listed a few suggestions, but feel free to add comments or other suggestions.  This is more a "fact-finding mission" than an "election process", but I'm VERY curious to find out what you would like to see me cover in the months to come.

Thanks for playing!

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

cryoparts

Re: Help me decide which Dynaco project to tackle next!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2008, 09:06 am »
Do you have a pair of MKIII's?  Do them!   :thumb:

Peace,

Lee

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2008, 01:59 pm »
I would do another Stereo 70 with bi-amping in mind. You could get AVA's phase inverter bridge and tripple the amplifier power. That would be fun.

Wayner  :D

joeriz

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:00 am »
I voted for the FM-3 but, honestly, I enjoy all of these threads immensely.  And I'm still dying to see how the Ultimate 70 turns out and what you think of the sound vs. stock!  :D

Flyquail56

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2008, 12:09 am »
Howdy Bill!

I didn't know that you hang out here, as well as the DD forum  :D

For your next project, I would humbly submit one of my favorite recent projects. I call it an ST-35 Integrated amp. Not an entirely original idea of course, but it's just an SCA-35 with the power amp section changed to that of the ST-35, requiring deletion of the tone controls, and the phono board is modded to the PAS phono circuit with Joe's recommended upgrades (I'm no Bob Tucker, but I made a step-by-step write-up for the phono board procedures). Result: great phono stage, passive line stage, and the ST-35 is IMHO clearly the best stock circuit that Dynaco created. Be warned though, that if you build this, you won't want to sell it  :lol:

Since finishing this project in 2006, I have three ST-70s and three PAS pre's in various stages of modification/upgrade that are gathering dust. The hot-rodded SCA and an Eico HF-81 are the only amps that I use now. 

Best regards,
Mike Hazel

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2008, 12:26 am »
I've still got those mk III's!

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2008, 01:03 am »
Bill just finished a beautiful SCA-35.  Read all about it here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60578.0

Peace,

Lee

Howdy Bill!

I didn't know that you hang out here, as well as the DD forum  :D

For your next project, I would humbly submit one of my favorite recent projects. I call it an ST-35 Integrated amp. Not an entirely original idea of course, but it's just an SCA-35 with the power amp section changed to that of the ST-35, requiring deletion of the tone controls, and the phono board is modded to the PAS phono circuit with Joe's recommended upgrades (I'm no Bob Tucker, but I made a step-by-step write-up for the phono board procedures). Result: great phono stage, passive line stage, and the ST-35 is IMHO clearly the best stock circuit that Dynaco created. Be warned though, that if you build this, you won't want to sell it  :lol:

Since finishing this project in 2006, I have three ST-70s and three PAS pre's in various stages of modification/upgrade that are gathering dust. The hot-rodded SCA and an Eico HF-81 are the only amps that I use now. 

Best regards,
Mike Hazel

Bill Thomas

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2008, 02:59 pm »
Happy Monday, everyone!  (Now THERE'S a "contradiction in terms!)

First, a BIG "Thank You" to everyone who has "voted" in this little poll.  As always, thanks to everyone for the nice comments.  (I think I'll need a slightly larger hat size - good thing I don't really wear hats!)

Seriously though, at this point, it looks like an FM-3 is in our future plans.  That's a pretty challenging rebuild due to the fragile nature of the circuit boards and the number of parts that are made of "unobtanium" these days.  Not to worry!  I have PLENTY of "donor units" available for parts, as well as a few surprises planned when we actually "get down to business" on it.

Lee, I fully plan on doing a pair of Mark III's in the future.  As a matter of fact, TONEPUB has a pair that we plan on doing the "full monty" rebuild on.

Wayner, it's a GREAT suggestion.  The only thing better than 64 Watts of tube goodness would be double or triple the number of Watts!  However, you have to keep in mind that my overall goal is to "clear out my closet" of the excess Dynaco gear, rather than acquire more.  I have several working Stereo 70's available for testing and comparison purposes.  I also have the ability to run two of them differentially using a high-quality Input Transformer.  I can already tell you that it works and sounds GREAT!  The only "downside" is that the Input Transformer cost more than a Stereo 70 and I have NO idea where to get another one today!

joeriz, I too am on the edge of my seat waiting for the "Ultimate Stereo 70" to be completed.  Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I *hope* to wrap it up this week!

TONEPUB, let me know when you are ready to go on the Mark III's and we'll get moving on them.  (Plus, I get to do a profile on the builds!)

Mike, I wound up posting the "rebuild chronicles" here because it was easier to publish the photos "inline" during the articles.  I have tried to remember to post a link over at the DD Forum.  (Of course, my memory is inversely proportional to my age, so there are a *few* that slipped by.  I'll do better.)  The "Integrated Stereo 35" is a GREAT idea.  While the SCA-35 is a GREAT little Integrated amplifier, (I'm a little partial to it since it was the first Dynaco kit that I built when I was 15), there is no question that it can be improved upon.  By removing the tone controls and changing over to the Stereo 35 Output boards, the gain requirements are much lower.  This solves a LOT of "compromises" that simply HAD to be made in the original SCA-35.  (Although I must admit, I DO like having tone controls available.)  The PAS Phono Preamp circuitry solves the limited headroom of the SCA-35 Phono Preamp section as well.  All GREAT ideas.

Thanks for showing Mike the link, Lee.  Sometimes I have this mistaken notion that folks have all the time in the world to "browse" all over the Forum.

Looks like my plate is going to be VERY full in the coming months!  My sincere thanks to EVERYONE who has expressed an interest, or who has an enjoyment of "all things Dynaco."  I'm always open to suggestions and welcome any comments, whether positive or negative.

If you are trying to rebuild or restore your own Dynaco unit, I hope these "rebuild chronicles" serve as an additional "tool" to help you along the way.  Rebuilding a Stereo 70 isn't "rocket science."  But rebuilding ANY 40 or 50 year-old electronic device DOES require a good deal of care and effort; especially if you want to make it look "pretty" as well.  I happen to like the looks of a "stock" unit.  But in MANY cases, original metalwork is simply "too far gone" to restore to "stock" condition.  That's when doing a "restomod" makes a LOT of sense.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at nostubesforyourdynaco@gmail.com and I'll try to help.  Contrary to what some may think, I have NEVER claimed to be an expert on all this.  But I have done a LOT of research and have acquired a LOT of Dynaco equipment over the years.  If I can help you get the most from YOUR equipment, then we BOTH win!

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

cryoparts

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2008, 06:47 pm »
Great, I look forward to those! 

Jeff, you are going to have Bill send those directly to me when they are done, right?   :lol: 

Peace,

Lee

Lee, I fully plan on doing a pair of Mark III's in the future.  As a matter of fact, TONEPUB has a pair that we plan on doing the "full monty" rebuild on.

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2008, 07:00 pm »
Hi Bill:

Could you email or PM me the address again and I'll box those babies up!

I have one other project Id like to talk to you about....

bregez

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2008, 07:21 pm »
FM-3.  I think it would be a welcome change of pace away from amplifiers and preamps.

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2008, 08:40 pm »
Good idea!

Bill Thomas

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2008, 04:33 am »
     Just a reminder, if you vote for "something else" please reply to the thread to let me know what that "something else" should be, ok?

At the moment, I am wrapping up an "outside project" that will not be detailed here, but it should be completed Friday (December 12, 2008).  We are expecting the rain to quit, but the cold will return so the Transformer end bells for the "Ultimate Stereo 70" remain in primer - for now.  As soon as conditions improve, (or as soon as I can arrange another location for the final paint coats), we'll finish that project.

I've been out "parts pickin'" for some future projects.  One of those projects will actually be TWO projects.  (Just to prove, or disprove a *potential* problem area.)  I'll explain all when our next project(s) get underway VERY soon.  Until then, get out the vote!

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

Dean1289

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2008, 04:48 am »
Hi Bill,

How about doing a pair of Mark VI and modding them to use 6550s or KT88s since 8417 are rare.  I have never seen anyone tackle a pair before

Dean

Bill Thomas

« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2008, 05:59 am »
Hi, Dean!

To be honest, I would LOVE to do a pair of Mark VI's, but the truth is I have three chassis' with NO iron in them.  Unless a source for proper Transformers could be found, I'm afraid this is one project that *probably* won't "make the cut" (for NOW, anyway!)

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2008, 11:14 am »
What about a pair of MK IVs?

I used to have a pair and they just didn't have the "magic" of the ST-70. I was sad :( Any ideas why, Bill?

(Nowadays I don't even have an ST-70, I sold my last and beautiful untouched (except for fixing the rectifier diode) example to a friend of mine  :duh: :duh: :duh:)

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2008, 11:20 am »
If you decide to do an FM-3 tuner next, you probably will want this Audio Basics article I wrote on keeping the FM-3 running properly.   It is free and highlights all the major trouble spots with these old units I know about.

Since I wrote this in 1982, some of the remarks are out of date, such as using Chinese 12AX7 tubes.  Now I would recommend JJ ECC83s tubes for those applications.

http://www.avahifi.com/root/audio_basics/1990-11_fm3_keep_working.htm

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Thol

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2008, 12:18 pm »
Hi Bill: I love all of this stuff and anything is fine by me. But, I must say that the FM-3 has my vote. If you do one, I'd really urge you to include the Sheldon Stokes PEC board mod, even if the rest of the tuner is bone stock. This discrete alteration makes SOOOO much difference.

I've felt really shy about doing a complete rebuild, although I have one in pieces for some rewiring and some refreshment. I've got three of them — although one is on the other side of the Pacific. You first ... :green: — Thol/strieb/Lorne