New Open Source Media Player

Crimson

New Open Source Media Player
« on: 5 Dec 2008, 02:02 pm »
A new media player has just been released called Songbird. It's free and open source, so we can expect numerous plug-ins (album art, remote control, etc.) and skins to be developed (it currently even has a skin to look just like iTunes). It's bit-perfect on a Mac (not so on a PC as it does not support ASIO, WASAPI, kernel streaming, etc) and can play all manner of formats including FLAC! The only current major drawback is that it does not rip, but that is expected to be supported in the next release early next year, along with a lot of other major improvements.

dB Cooper

Re: New Open Source Media Player
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2008, 02:17 pm »
Looks promising. When I get an Intel Mac eventually, I'll have to try it. It is good to have an alternative to the more-bloated-with-every-release, FLAC-and-OGG-unfriendly iTunes.

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2009, 02:44 am »
i've started using Songbird. My first impression is awesome.

Songbird imported my iTunes in minutes and then all my FLAC files...

Try it.

This could be a real alternative for mac users

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2009, 03:20 am »
i've started using Songbird. My first impression is awesome.

Songbird imported my iTunes in minutes and then all my FLAC files...

Try it.

This could be a real alternative for mac users

What's your impression, if any, on the sound compared to iTunes?

SteveRB

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:15 am »
first things first, Songbird's output volume is a little lower than iTunes. There is a small variation in mid range presentation between the two. Im not sure if iTunes is overly bright or if Songbird is dull. The width and depth of the sound stage seems similar between the two applications. Given time i may be able to give a better review.

But right now im happy that i don't have to convert all the new FLAC files i got over the holiday free leech period...

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:31 am »
Hey, hey, hey! The mid-range is where I noticed a difference as well. My system tends slightly towards the 'darker' side of the audio spectrum. Picture a faint smiley face on a graphic EQ, with Songbird bringing a tad bigger smile to the equation (lower in the mid frequencies). I use AIFF files, and am still evaluating.

SteveRB

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:08 am »
good to see im not going crazy here... my speakers really let the mids stand out and sing; so im kinda liking the sound. For me iTunes is a bit too in-your-face hifi sounding.

im exploring the add ons now for Songbird. I like the community approach. I get a little annoyed when all of the iTunes updates are just more links to their store...