Ovation / Gretsch

klaus@odyssey

Ovation / Gretsch
« on: 5 Dec 2008, 07:46 am »
Guys,

Does anybody have any experience with either the Ovation Celebrity iDea or the GretschG 5120 ???  Using Fender Retro 50's tube amp.

Thanks,

Klaus

Will

Re: Ovation / Gretsch
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2008, 03:07 pm »

lazydays

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2008, 06:09 pm »
Guys,

Does anybody have any experience with either the Ovation Celebrity iDea or the GretschG 5120 ???  Using Fender Retro 50's tube amp.

Thanks,

Klaus

I may know just the guy your looking for, and he's right here in Indy (the last surviving member of Molly Hatchet). I'll probably see him this weekend, as we usually do a couple cigars together at the Pipe Puffer. Seems like he uses an amp like that at the house because he was asking me about getting some tubes for it.
gary

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2008, 11:07 pm »
I don't know anything about Ovation but the Gretsch is supposed to be a good guitar.  I believe these are Korean made so the quality should be good.  If you get one, you may want to swap the PU's for TV Jones.  I can't watch this video and NOT want to pick up a Gretsch! The orange model looks a lot like Setzer's guitar.  One of my all time favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPshffbyYQM

pfradale

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:53 am »
Just a thought--have you considered having an American luthier make you one? This is not an ad since my friend Rollo has work lined up for years and years but here's a link to a hand-carved archtop he just completed for me;

http://web.me.com/fradale/La_Dolce_Vita/Archtop.html

Nothing wrong with Asian guitars but I know you take pride in Odyssey gear being made in the US, so...

jose

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2008, 07:17 pm »
Klaus, the Gretsch will be a much better match for the amp.

jdodmead

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2008, 07:29 pm »
Klaus, Below is a response from someone who knows her guitars, she owns numerous and has played in multiple bands. She also writes songs and has recorded her own cd.

"Jeff,

Gretsch is a good company for guitars.  They also made a decent set of drums.  I played a frog green, butt-ugly, (but sweet sounding) Gretsch while in college - doing more jazz.  Good instrument.  Nowadays, they are used a lot for Rockabilly, old R&R, Swing.  Brian Setzer really gave company sales a boost with his custom orange G5120.  I do like the Bigsby tailpiece for an authentic old time vibrato, which I believe comes stock on the guitar. 

Ovation has made guitars that have a faithful following.  Personally, I've never liked their instruments.  The company has touted their roundback bowl design - which is a composite material they say is more durable, and produces louder, more focused sound.  For an acoustic instrument, I like wood!  I'm picky on this one!!  As far as their electronics on board the guitar? - I hope they have improved the design.  I worked on one for a friend and just changing batteries in the pre-amp took over 20 minutes - bogus engineering.   

So….probably more info than you wanted about these company's guitar crafting.  But, hey, YOU understand the search for GOOD SOUND.

But thinking about power amps, a good friend of mine is designing and building me a prototype amp, incorporating the kick-butt sound of a 50's tube amp, crotch mahogany cabinet, and the damn thing is only gonna weigh about 20 pounds.  It's pretty fascinating stuff. This guy has been in radio - broadcast, etc., is TOTALLY into sound, and I played with him in a band in the early 80's.  Anyway, his concept is really cool.

Cory  "

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2008, 09:27 am »
WOW.

Thanks for the link Will.  Jack, thanks for the heads up,  and Jeff,  especially many thanks to your friend.  Very,  very cool.

Well,  Jack,  I wish I would be on your level,  which I am not.  In the dark in front of my system,  alone,  I am a better Hendrix than Jimi himself,  but let's face it,  I am a real beginner.  With the Gretsch,  I could have gotten one in some sort of trade,  but I passed.  Have 3 Guitars and a Bass,  and have to get more serious about it first.  With the Ovation,  I like the idea of using it as a learning tool.  Who knows, maybe in a year or so I will be ready.

On a different note;  went to Alex's  today and man,  he is building himself a real mean one.  American Strat which he is customizing himself.  Very sweeeeeeeet.

Late,

Klaus

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2008, 06:15 pm »
On a different note;  went to Alex's  today and man,  he is building himself a real mean one.  American Strat which he is customizing himself.  Very sweeeeeeeet.

For those of you into guitars...I am building a new custom pick guard for my American Deluxe Strat as follows, Fender CS69 (custom shop) pick ups for neck and middle, a Seymour SSL-5 for the bridge, typical single coil-two tone and volume control with a five way blade switch setup configuration. To top it off...I am adding a small toggle switch to be able to combine both the neck and bridge pick up!   :drool: You cannot get this combination with a standard strat. The pick guard is black...OK, someone tell me which guitar player (one of my all time favorites) has a custom strat setup just like this one and has played for years?....hint, hint..., Fender just release a strat limited custom edition player guitar just like this one in two versions....and they want $4,000!!!! are you kidding me###!!!

On a different note, If someone has an acoustic (electric) guitar, a Candela preamp and Stratos amps...I urge you to play the guitar through it...you will be for a real real treat  :drool:  :drool: Now, make certain you have the volume control in the Candela down "before" you plug in the guitar! My Martin (000) guitar with built in Fishman-Aura electronics has never sound better through my system :green:

Klaus has some nice guitars and he needs to start playing... aa

Cheers,
Alex

« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2008, 09:15 pm by AlexG »

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2008, 07:15 pm »
WOW.

Thanks for the link Will.  Jack, thanks for the heads up,  and Jeff,  especially many thanks to your friend.  Very,  very cool.

Well,  Jack,  I wish I would be on your level,  which I am not.  In the dark in front of my system,  alone,  I am a better Hendrix than Jimi himself,  but let's face it,  I am a real beginner.  With the Gretsch,  I could have gotten one in some sort of trade,  but I passed.  Have 3 Guitars and a Bass,  and have to get more serious about it first.  With the Ovation,  I like the idea of using it as a learning tool.  Who knows, maybe in a year or so I will be ready.

Late,

Klaus

maybe your ready for deeper instructions. Frank Steans used to teach a little on the side, and he lives about five minutes from your place. Peter Kienle used to as well, and you can contact him at Rick's Boatyard (more your style).
gary

jose

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2008, 06:56 am »
Alex, the description of your strat sounds like a David Gilmour custom.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2008, 12:34 am »
Alex, the description of your strat sounds like a David Gilmour custom.

Jose,

You are exactly correct...this is the same setup David Gilmour has been using for many years, and is currently in his black strat. Being able to combine the neck with the bridge pickups together is very unique..and provides a sound to die for.  :drool:

Cheers,
Alex

Christof

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2008, 12:43 am »
Just a thought--have you considered having an American luthier make you one? This is not an ad since my friend Rollo has work lined up for years and years but here's a link to a hand-carved archtop he just completed for me;

http://web.me.com/fradale/La_Dolce_Vita/Archtop.html

Nothing wrong with Asian guitars but I know you take pride in Odyssey gear being made in the US, so...

:o :o Oh :o :o my :o :o God :o :o that is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

jose

« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2008, 01:26 am »
Alex, will yours have the shorter tremolo arm?

pfradale

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2008, 10:56 am »
:o :o Oh :o :o my :o :o God :o :o that is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I think so, too. It'll be another three months until I get my hands on it as I want to make sure the finish is fully seasoned before it is sent to me in Japan. I had a custom Guild 12-string JF-55 arrive here with its finish spider-webbed all to hell from shipping it too soon and I do NOT want that happening with this one.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2009, 04:32 pm »
Alex, will yours have the shorter tremolo arm?

Jose,

I will try them both ways...is just a matter of taste. I can wait...to many things going on!

Cheers,

Alex