CS2 Cullen Circuits Mod Revealed!

ArtilleryofSound

CS2 Cullen Circuits Mod Revealed!
« on: 4 Dec 2008, 05:03 am »
The Stock DCX is the one without the Green doo hickies. . . I'm warming it up.  I'll let you know how it sounds.

Notice how all the glue from the stock DCX has been removed on the modded unit.

Looks like they did some tampering under the metal shell here.

giggsy

Re: CS2 Cullen Circuits Mod Revealed!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2008, 02:19 pm »
Anything to report? Waiting with baited breath here. :)

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:43 am »
Output capacitors and resistors were upgraded to Nichicon Muse (not sure specifics) and Dale Vishay resistors. There are some bypassed (due to nature of connection I imagine). The processing power feeders had some Nichicon (not Muse) capacitor that where switched to Os-cons of some sort?

Glue was removed. Dampening added to top plate.

That is what I can tell.

I would say.... (for lots more money and those wanting uber nice stuff)

If you are sure of the componets you are going to be using with it the RC networks could be tossed on the input and output unless they are needed for balanced operation or something. You could toss the output/input protection caps as well if you know there is no DC coming from any source. If you need resistors for the right impedence/gain upgrade to Vishay S102 resistors. Put Blackgate Type N for the power capacitors that are first in line and use Os-cons for strictly digital, and then any other high quality like Blackgate STD, Rubycon, Muse etc in the regular PSU area. Looks like you could throw in a Felix, more than enough room, or even just an X1/2 capacitor over the mains.

maybe a better Pot or a stepped attenuator if that thing is just a pot on the front?

Just thinking :)

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2008, 01:01 am »
I received my modded unit on Wednesday.  I won't pretend to have all the audiophile lingo down. . .all I can say is that right out of the box everything is more "musical".  Especially noticeable on strings.  I'm happy with the investment.   :D

cryoparts

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2008, 01:25 am »
FYI--The Oscon (solid aluminum with organic semiconductor electrolyte) caps that they put in there are great caps, IMO.  Very low ESR, and they are quite compact as well. 

They are not cheap, either...

In any event, I don't want to start a war about "which cap is best", but the Oscon's are fine caps.

Peace,

Lee

Nichicon (not Muse) capacitor that where switched to Os-cons of some sort?

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2008, 01:42 am »
Were the opamps supposed to be replaced?  The one pic looks like it shows a stock 4580.

janneman

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2008, 06:47 pm »
FYI--The Oscon (solid aluminum with organic semiconductor electrolyte) caps that they put in there are great caps, IMO.  Very low ESR, and they are quite compact as well. 

In any event, I don't want to start a war about "which cap is best", but the Oscon's are fine caps.

Peace,

Lee

Lee,

Am I correct that the resistors are an add-on output attenuator to bring the PA-output levels down to home hifi?

Jan Didden
www.linearaudio.nl

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:33 pm »
What type of Os-cons are those? They must not be Sanyo at that size.

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:38 pm »

Peace,

Lee

Lee,

Am I correct that the resistors are an add-on output attenuator to bring the PA-output levels down to home hifi?

Jan Didden
www.linearaudio.nl

Jan,

Yes, Clayton adds those in to the stock DCX for that purpose.

Tom

janneman

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2008, 09:26 am »

Peace,

Lee

Lee,

Jan Didden
www.linearaudio.nl

Jan,

Yes, Clayton adds those in to the stock DCX for that purpose.

Tom

OK, so this is in the 'stock' DCX as delivered with the CS2's as well (with less expensive resistors, presumably). The real difference with the stock would then be the changed caps, right?
What is the price for this mod, anybody knows?

Jan Didden

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2008, 12:49 pm »
$800 for:
11 National op amps
6 Muse caps
Dale resistors
Remove input caps

Here is a description -

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?misceqal&1234052612&/Emerald-Physics-DCX-24.96-CS2-

janneman

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2008, 02:19 pm »
Thanks!

Jan Didden
www.linearaudio.nl

cryoparts

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2008, 06:11 pm »
Vishay/Sprague makes, or owns the rights to the name, the OSCON's now.  I have some of the 470u 16V sitting in front of me, same as used in the mod.  They are not cheap in small quantities...

Peace,

Lee

What type of Os-cons are those? They must not be Sanyo at that size.

cryoparts

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2008, 06:12 pm »

Lee,

Jan Didden
www.linearaudio.nl

Sorry, missed this question, but it looks like Tom answered it.

FYI--I have no connection to Cullen Circuits, nor do I mod the CS2.  I was just interested in what was done to the unit. 

Peace,

Lee