Is there anyone in STL ready to step up to my DIY sub challenge?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Do you really need an enclosure? I'm thinking for $300 you should be able to build a very nice IB sub that meets your sonic requirements. Is IB a possibility?
I think he lives in an apartment. Unless I'm confusing him with someone else?  :scratch:
Confirmed. He does live in an apartment.
Makes it harder to build an IB without the ability to cut holes in your house.

Bob

mcgsxr

How about the patio door?   :icon_twisted:

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website

Or is there a closet in the listening room?  A cheap door from Hood's or Home Depot, some weatherstriping, a jigsaw, a woofer or two......

Seriously!

Ken

Joe_K

Or is there a closet in the listening room?  A cheap door from Hood's or Home Depot, some weatherstriping, a jigsaw, a woofer or two......

Seriously!

Ken

Lots of possibilities!

Another thought I had, about a month ago an ACI Force sold on EBay for $250. Currently there's an ACI Titan on Agon being auctioned;
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?homesubw&1228617732
good deals pop up on preowned ACI gear, excellent subs w/ a great reputation!
JK
Let us know what you decide.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
That Titan with shipping would likely be over budget.  But, if you can stretch a bit, it's head and shoulders above the other options you're looking at IMO.

Bryan

BrassEar

Since I am now a full blown Geddes believer, I would buy TWO of these (three would be even better). Multiple subs are the real deal.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/4674948?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

BTW, I used to own that Hsu and it is decent but not great.

dwarfed centipede

I thought with an IB you lose the low end freq response?  Or are you using 15" or 18" drivers?

KenSeger

I thought with an IB you lose the low end freq response?  Or are you using 15" or 18" drivers?

Its depends on how well matched the driver(s) are for the size of the infinate baffle enclosure.  If you put a driver that is designed for an acoustic suspension, horn, bass reflex, transmission line, or open baffle inside an infinate baffle - lotsa luck taming all those peaks.  Also if the enclosure is too small for that particular driver, even if the driver is designed for an infinate baffle - forget it.  The high mechanical capacitance of the air inside a too small enclosure will act just like an electrical capacitor in series with a driver - it WILL roll off the low end.

I've just got to make the time to get these Concert Grands put back together again, than I can show you what four 12" woofers that are specifically designed for an infinate baffle can do in an enclosure that is fairly close to the ideal size for them.

Ken

Joe_K

That Titan with shipping would likely be over budget.  But, if you can stretch a bit, it's head and shoulders above the other options you're looking at IMO.

Bryan

I agree Bryan,
That Titan was bid up to $255.50, but it didn't meet the reserve.
It's a buyers market out there for so many different things! If BigRick is a patient, he'll be able to find a quality preowned sub such as a Titan or Force within budget. Why build something when you can buy plug and play or is it plug and listen for the same money?
JK

BigRick

• Gateway Audio Society
I saw a couple options out there and my budget is wanting to expand now.  Would I be well off with a BIC h-100 or a Cadence csx-15.  The cadence claims stupid FS of 10-100hz +/-3db.  A lot of those options look pretty cool but replacing my patio door with 2 IB subs would probably be out of the question, my g/f lives here too.  Does anyone have any opinions on the BIC or the Cadence or should I just save my pennies and wait for like a AV123 MFW-15?

KenSeger

If anybody wants to subwoof with emphasis on the word BIG.......

In Festus, MO

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/970254015.html

IF they are in good shape this is a fair price.  Very nice driver for a BIG infinate baffle (like the room on the other side of the wall), a BIG well tuned bass reflex, or if you want to scale UP (!) an Electrovoice Patrician.   :o

Ken

Scott F.

WOW  :o  :drool:

Boy, IF I thought I could get away with sneaking these past sacred keeper of the checkbook, I'd be all over those  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Scott, I spoke with Laura a few minutes ago; She said "It's ok, go ahead and get them".

Bob

p.s. Oh, I almost forgot. She asked if I liked my Christmas present?  :scratch:
Did you forget to give it to me?  aa :lol:

mcgsxr

Oh dear lord, just what we need, someone with a double 24 inch Harley woofer setup!

Have fun!   :drool:

KenSeger

Oh dear lord, just what we need, someone with a double 24 inch Hartley woofer setup!

Have fun!   :drool:

Well.... Do the math.  Four Bozak 12" B-199 woofers per side are within spiting distance of one Hartley-Luth 24" woofer per side in term of square inches of total woofer cone!  :wink:

Ken

Joe_K

If you haven't started yet, this is worth considering:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65032.0

FYI,
JK

BigRick

• Gateway Audio Society
I ended up going with the Parts express HSU10.  It is very musical but only really lacks the visceral impact of a larger driver.  In room my f3 is between 24 and 27hz depending on where I place it.  Any recomendations on placement as of now I have it in the back ricght corner of the room quasi corner loaded.  Should I full on corner load it and toe it in so that the back of the box is right up against both walls of the corner or leave it fireing away from the back wall?

Joe_K

I ended up going with the Parts express HSU10.  It is very musical but only really lacks the visceral impact of a larger driver.  In room my f3 is between 24 and 27hz depending on where I place it.  Any recomendations on placement as of now I have it in the back ricght corner of the room quasi corner loaded.  Should I full on corner load it and toe it in so that the back of the box is right up against both walls of the corner or leave it fireing away from the back wall?

Experimentation and preference is the key, IIRC corner loading will give max output, but may not be the smoothest or most musical.

JK