***Sold***: Butler TDB 2250 Hybrid Amp

anodyne

***Sold***: Butler TDB 2250 Hybrid Amp
« on: 1 Dec 2008, 12:15 am »
I am the second owner, with my uncle being the original purchaser. So you could say that this amp has been in the family and is looking for a new one. I have the original receipt and double boxes. The amp is still under warranty. I'm selling because I've changed to a tube pre and want to move to a solid state only amp. The only blemish on the amp is a thin scratch on the right side panel (I forgot to remove my wedding ring when moving the amp between rack spaces).

MSRP:  $3,295
Asking:  $1,650 and will split shipping in lower 48

Feel free to PM me.

6 Moons Review:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/butler/2250.html

Sorry I don't have pics hosted on AC, but I can e-mail and have a few posted here:  http://trade.audioasylum.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-SS/Butler/TDB-2250/Hybrid-Amp/16716

Here's the specs:

General features:
• ZERO negative feedback. No global degenerative negative feedback loop
• Open Ended Audiophile Circuitry
• Musical, warm and dynamic
• Load Independent; Will drive any speaker • Hand selected/matched 6SL7GT Twin Triode tubes (One per channel)
• Fully regulated Tube Heaters with Delayed Soft Start (10-15 second turn-on delay)
• Load Adaptive Vacuum Tube Driven output circuitry
• Modular power channels with a seperate massive, oversized heatsink for each channel   
• Independent AC Secondaries and Rectifiers with 60,000µF per channel filtering
• DC fault / Short Circuit Protection Circuitry
• Diagnostic LEDs: Red=Fault • Custom-made Hard Gold Plated Eutetic Brass RCA connectors
• Custom-made Hard Gold Plated Eutetic Brass 5-way Binding Posts
• Frosted Platinum finish
• Tube Illumination: Internal BLUE LEDs
• Patented Design
• Concept & Design: BK Butler / USA

Specifications:
• Rated Power (all channels driven): 2 x 250 Watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms 2 x 400 Watts RMS per channel @ 4 ohms 1 x 800 Watts RMS Bridged (Mono) @ 8 ohms
• Freq response: 20Hz to 20kHz (+/- 0.5dB) Power Bandwidth: -3dB, 50kHz
• THD: <0.10% @ 8 Ohms, <0.15% @ 4 Ohms • S/N Ratio: Better than 120dB (A-Wtd)
• Slew Rate: 15v/µsec
• Input Sensitivity: 2V for 250 Watts into 8 Ohms
• Input Impedance: 47k Ohms
• Idling Consumption: Approx. 40 Watts (Approx. 0.3A @ 120VAC or 0.15A @ 230VAC)
• AC Consumption (Nominal power): 720 Watts @ 8 Ohms - 6A (120VAC), 3A (230VAC) 1200 Watts @ 4 Ohms - 10A (120VAC), 5A (230VAC)
• Dimensions: 17"W x 16"D x 8.5"H w/feet (7"H w/o feet)
• Weight: 43 Lbs. (19.2Kgs.)

Updated price and shipping offer 12-25-08
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2009, 03:15 am by anodyne »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: FS: Butler TDB 2250 Hybrid Amp
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2008, 12:24 am »
Being a Butler owner of two 3150 amps, I feel abliged to help with the pictures. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

anodyne

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2008, 01:05 am »
Thanks Robin.  Much appreciated.

anodyne

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2008, 05:19 pm »
Weekend bump.

anodyne

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2008, 05:01 am »
Christmas Bump - Price reduced and will split shipping.

Brandon B

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2008, 01:50 am »
Can you give me a rough guess on shipping to L.A.?  Regular ground, boxed to resist evil apes in brown.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2008, 01:58 am »
:lol: There's no such thing as regular ground shipping that will resist the evils of brown. If you truely want safer handling, go with FED-EX Air. Pay a little more or you could pay a lot! :cool:

Cheers,
Robin

anodyne

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2008, 06:55 pm »
Brandon,  Sorry for the late reply.  My internet went down over the weekend and I didn't get it up until late last night.  I'll figure out a quote tonight when I get home from work.  I've got the double boxes to ship in and have the dimensions and everything a home to plug into a shipping calculator.

Thanks,  Scott

anodyne

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:08 pm »
$1,600 shipped in lower 48.  Any takers?

anodyne

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2009, 02:58 am »
Bump for price drop.  $1,450 plus shipping.  Who wants a great amp at a great price?

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2009, 03:10 pm »
Okay, I've given the rest of you guys enough time to jump on this amp...time's up! I'm buying it!  My Maggies are gonna love the extra headroom!  :thumb:

anodyne

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:21 pm »
As AJ mentioned above.  Sale is pending and awaiting arrival of funds.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:55 pm »
Okay, I've given the rest of you guys enough time to jump on this amp...time's up! I'm buying it!  My Maggies are gonna love the extra headroom!  :thumb:

Ya'know AJ, 1 of the nice things about this amp is if 250 watts doesn't cut the cheese for ya, you can always pickup another 2250 and run them mono for a hefty 500 watts per channel. That's what Lonewolf does when driving his power hungry SP Tech Timepieces. I think you're gonna love these babies as much as I love my dual TDB 3150's,,, congrates. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Airborn

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:14 pm »
Ajzepp,

I thought about mating this amp with my recently acquired 3150 for a complete Butler powered home theater, but just couldn't afford it at this time.   :(  My loss is your gain, however, congrats.  :drool:

Btw, you and Chris/lonewolfy were right about the Mapletree pre + Butler pairing, very sweet and smooth with powerful bass when needed. :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:25 pm »

Ya'know AJ, 1 of the nice things about this amp is if 250 watts doesn't cut the cheese for ya, you can always pickup another 2250 and run them mono for a hefty 500 watts per channel. That's what Lonewolf does when driving his power hungry SP Tech Timepieces. I think you're gonna love these babies as much as I love my dual TDB 3150's,,, congrates. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Heck yeah, Robin...I love the flexibility of these amps :)  I'm already getting tremendous results biamping my Maggies with my 5150, so the extra headroom of the 2250 will be a welcome addition to the Maggies. I wanted to make sure the gain was the same with this one as it is on my 5150 because of the biamping, and Butler said it was...so I'm excited! I just need to get Scott my payment before he changes his mind! :D 

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:31 pm »
Ajzepp,

I thought about mating this amp with my recently acquired 3150 for a complete Butler powered home theater, but just couldn't afford it at this time.   :(  My loss is your gain, however, congrats.  :drool:

Btw, you and Chris/lonewolfy were right about the Mapletree pre + Butler pairing, very sweet and smooth with powerful bass when needed. :thumb:

Glad you're liking the combo! I expect to have my Mapletree and my Butler(s) in here for a long time....it would cost quite a bit more money to better this pair!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:33 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Heck yeah, Robin...I love the flexibility of these amps :)  I'm already getting tremendous results biamping my Maggies with my 5150, so the extra headroom of the 2250 will be a welcome addition to the Maggies. I wanted to make sure the gain was the same with this one as it is on my 5150 because of the biamping, and Butler said it was...so I'm excited! I just need to get Scott my payment before he changes his mind! :D 

Just in case you wanta spend more $$$ AJ, the Kubela-Sosna Emotion power cord is a killer matchup with the Butler. I went thru 8 different power cords with the Kubela being the smoothest & cleanes theu out the frequency band. This power cord was also 1 of the best heard(along with the Kaplan cord @ a 1/3 less cost) in a power cord shootout at Paul Kaplan's NY RAVE in december. I highly recommend the Kubela Emotion power cord with the Butler. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

kmmd

• YG? Y NOT? Carmel 2’s and Hailey 3’s
    • Systems
« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2009, 08:14 pm »
AJZepp,

Just wanted to stop by on this forum to say congrats on your amp!  :thumb:  I can also imagine how your 3.6's will sound with the 2250 driving your mid/highs and 2 of 5 channels of the 5150 driving the bass panels of the 3.6's.  Now you can use the other 3 channels for the center and surrounds to complete your HT system. 

BTW, have you tried steep slope modules on your Marchand?  The stock Maggie recommendations have too much overlap IMO.  I'm now using 280Hz 24dB slopes for HP and LP and loving it.  Just a thought...

Happy listening.

Ken

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:51 am »

Cheers,
Robin
A correction for Robert :lol:.....two 2250's in bridged mono = 800 watts... :rock:

AJ....Enjoy the 2250...and as mentioned...check into the power cords. :wink:

Chris

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2009, 05:16 am »
Robin/Chris: I know NOTHING about power cords, but I suspect that will be the next frontier for me a little later this year. So I'm sure you can both expect even MORE PMs from me in a few months (muah ha ha!)

Ken: I'd actually have to do surgery on the Maggies to get to the mid/tweet crossover, so right now I plan to use one channel of the 2250 for the bass panels of each 3.6, and then one channel of the 5150 for the mid/tweets of each 3.6. My Marchand is only a 2-way right now, though Phil said he could modify it. Also, Phil included another module when I bought the crossover, and I'm almost positive it's the same spec that you mentioned. I'll have to check what he sent me, but it was a configuration that he liked since he's familiar with the Maggie line. He's really a great guy to do business with! I also felt good about supporting a Rochester, NY company since that's where I grew up.

I just took delivery on a CC3 today from a guy on another forum, so looking forward to playing around with this tonight. I was going to hold out for the ribbon center (CCR), but Wendell said it's still a few months away. Those guys at Magnepan are the "slow and steady wins the race" sort, lol.

-AJ