What would be nice inside your NEW amplifier?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
What would be nice inside your NEW amplifier?
« on: 27 Nov 2008, 07:10 pm »
Carbon film or composition resistors?
Specialty transformers?
Excellent RLC filtering?
Oversized power transformer?
Tunable Bias?
Variable negative feedback?
Lots OF POWER!!!? not much power?....
Baldwin-like commercial designs? aka: Ultra high reliablity, low operating costs
Single Ended parallel designs?
Five-Tube phase splitterless Class A amplification?
Brand-name, extra-special capacitors?
1950's Crafstmanship?

And so on...It's what's under that hood that counts.

Happy Holidays!

mcullinan

Re: What would be nice inside your NEW amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2008, 12:25 am »
Stuff it with $100 bills please.
Thanks.
Mikw

denjo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2008, 12:52 am »
I like a simple, neat layout, with wires that are neatly arranged like grids on a map. I like a hefty toroidal transformer (or two) that reassures there is more power than is needed, and huge towering capacitors! I like the PCB board to have circuits surface mounted rather than through hole, with everything beautifully and neatly arranged.  :thumb:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:08 am »
I like a simple, neat layout, with wires that are neatly arranged like grids on a map. I like a hefty toroidal transformer (or two) that reassures there is more power than is needed, and huge towering capacitors! I like the PCB board to have circuits surface mounted rather than through hole, with everything beautifully and neatly arranged.  :thumb:

Can't fault you for that!  :D  I used to work at GnNettest and used surface mount devices 10hrs/day. They're much better than through-hole electronics. I was planning on trying some Class T (D) amplifier modules that are available.

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:21 am »
Stuff it with $100 bills please.
Thanks.
Mikw

If used for damping material, it must be vintage $100 Bills (actual silver certificates) to get the best sound.  Now, if they were stored in someone's freezer for all these years, then can be considered cryoed!

markC

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:47 am »
Do Confederate bills count?

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2008, 02:17 am »
Done buying amplifiers, have three that I really like a lot....

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:10 pm »
What about spiked feet? That's an outside option, but oh well. A customer and I were discussing vibrations and this came up.

Brown

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:15 pm »
The best transformers money can buy. single ended topology carbon based resistors teflon tube sockets the purest silver wiring, Mundorf siver/oil caps, hexfreds, adj. bias, top notch power supply[ overkill], basic industrial enclosure properly damped and YES 1950s craftmanship with point to point wiring.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2008, 06:00 pm »
I'd be happy to arrange an order for such a fine instrument! You're welcome to fill in more of the specifics and I will provide a quote. If anybody else has something special in mind- just tell me.

The best transformers money can buy. single ended topology carbon based resistors teflon tube sockets the purest silver wiring, Mundorf siver/oil caps, hexfreds, adj. bias, top notch power supply[ overkill], basic industrial enclosure properly damped and YES 1950s craftmanship with point to point wiring.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2008, 03:56 pm »
There are two ways to go when considering what to put into your custom amplifier:

1) Industrial/commercial components. People call these 'no-name' components. When I order them, they do have a name and their quality is excellent.
Examples: Xicon, Ohmite and Vishay to name a few.

2) What I will call 'Better Known' name brand components: Hovland and Cornell Doublier capacitors, for example.

Some companies have parts made to their specifications and are excellent. 

It's possible to have an amplifier made with YOUR CHOICE of components or to have me choose based on your listening requirements. Either way the goal is to get the exact amplifier you have been waiting for.

For those of you who are concerned about resale value: People will be able to relate to solid craftsmanship and well chosen components more than anything else. A look underneath and an impressive parts list says plenty. The end result of quality components set up within a clean, efficient point-to-point wired circuit will be undeniably superb audio.