How long will it last?

eric the red

How long will it last?
« on: 16 Jan 2003, 05:07 am »
If I leave my cdp on all the time, how long will the display stay lit before it burns out? A few years? Forever? Or is this a non-issue for some electronic reason that I know nothing about :D

JohnR

How long will it last?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2003, 03:26 pm »
My Cal Delta is permanently on... so at least three years (it was used when I got it). It probably depends a lot on the type of display.

audiojerry

How long will it last?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2003, 03:37 pm »
If you don't leave it on all the time, then try to turn it on 12-24 hours before you plan to listen again, unless that is you have a tubed cdp.

Rocket

How long will it last?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2003, 11:53 pm »
hello,

i turn mine off at night time i find it sounds pretty good after an hour of being turned on.

regards

rod

randytsuch

How long will it last?
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2003, 12:57 am »
A display does have a limited life, it does not last forever.
Think is, I am not sure something else will not break first, the display may not be the first thing to go.

As far as warm up, I read some interesting stuff at diyaudio on this subject, someone was saying bg's need to charge up, and they take a while to do this (claim was days to charge up), so the guy thought if you use gates, you should leave you stuff on all the time.

Randy

gonefishin

How long will it last?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:05 am »
hey eric...are ya talking about the sacd1000...if ya are...you can dim the display...or if you use the "power" button on the remote...it is in more of a stand-by mode.

With my other player, my planet, I would leave it on 24/7...but with this unit you could turn the display all the way off...which is what I did.

take care>>>>>

eric the red

How long will it last?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:09 am »
when the SACD 1000 is in the stand-by mode, what exactly is going on with the player? :mrgreen:

randytsuch

How long will it last?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2003, 04:00 am »
Eric,
Not much is happening in standby.  I am pretty sure all the major voltages are turned off, so as far as keeping it warmed up, don't think leaving it in standby will help you much.

Are you going to talk to Stan Warren about modding it?  Just talked to Stan, and he has a big backlog, but since you live close by you might be able to keep it until he is ready to work on it.

Randy

eric the red

How long will it last?
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2003, 06:59 am »
I tried calling him but he hasn't been home - do you have any idea how much he charges for just the two-channel upgrade? I read on AA that its 300.00 :?:

randytsuch

How long will it last?
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2003, 06:53 pm »
Hi Eric,
Yeah, it should be $300 for the 2 channel mod, plus parts.  You'll probably spend $50-100 for Blackgates.
If Stan's friend still has Jensen caps, I would recommend putting those in too, they cost $50 for 2, and maybe $30 to install.

Stan is hard to get a hold of, best time is afternoon and evenings.  Just keep trying, he does not answer his phone sometimes.  I know you will have to wait a while.  Mike is getting tired of waiting for his 1000, which Stan has had since September?.  Stan is now flooded with 1000's, because of the Tweeter sale.

Randy

gonefishin

How long will it last?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2003, 04:30 pm »
Eric...not really sure what the standby would do...it probably keeps something going...but without seeing it written from Philips or from the schematic...I can only guess that it does keep something powered up...but I don't know what...and really could only make a blind guess.

take care>>>>