Subwoofer/Treatment Help

steve1234

Subwoofer/Treatment Help
« on: 26 Nov 2008, 05:39 am »
Hello All,
OK so I had had some major issues with my room (which is a difficult room to treat by the way) Anyways I used some broadband traps and placed them in various places in the room, 1st reflection points etc. corners etc.

Now the was a significant increase in clarity I mean I only listen to vinyl and it was a major upgrade in richness and detail and it is seems the painful highs are gone. I dont believe the panels are taking anything away at least not for my listening tastes.

The bass response is good and bad. I have a pair of sonus faber concertos (bookshelf) and a vandersteen sub 2wq. I no longer have one note bass and its sounds great esp on Jazz recordings...except recordings that are very heavy on the base..the sub really seems to create very boomy base (the sub is on a Auralex Great Gamma as well)..I cant turn the dial past 9 oclock b/c of the significant base response. What do I do? I certainly like the improvement at times its way to much.

It seems I was not getting good base response before treatment and now at times its way to boomy.

The sub is connected through the speaker taps
I have it crossed over at 88 which is the sensitivity of my speakers.

youngho

Re: Subwoofer/Treatment Help
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2008, 11:15 am »
You would probably get the most specific and helpful advice if you could:
1. Provide some information about your listening room, specifically dimensions and locations of speakers, subwoofer, listening position, furnishings, traps (also details about construction, mounting), windows, and doors. A diagram or figure, or at least illustrative photos, would be best.
2. Take some basic measurements so that both you and Circle members could see just what your problems are.

Otherwise, you might consider Synergistic Research or Elemental Voice Products. ^_^

WerTicus

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2008, 11:21 am »
there is probably some spike in response at 88hz, depending on the slopes, try dropping the subwoofer down to 65hz see if it goes away.  Without equalisation it might be difficult to fix, but better off with a hole than a bump imo.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2008, 11:45 am »
Where is the sub located?  If it's in a corner, move it out as much as possible.   

Sub level should be set with a meter.  Set the phase by playing the xover frequency through both mains and sub and adjusting phase till you get the most output.  Then again, reset the level using a meter. 

Some of the boominess could also be that the treatments you've used are great down to a point but simply not up to the task of handling the subwoofer frequencies.  It's all a balancing act.

Bryan