Tube-integrated amp for 626

vdgraaf

Tube-integrated amp for 626
« on: 25 Nov 2008, 07:39 pm »
I am trying to replace my Onix SP3 amp for another integrated tube amp to drive my 626s.

I've got some very recommendations on Audiogon forum, but it seem to me that I need more power(the max power rating for the amps recommended was 60w) to fully appreciate those speakers.

My room is not big and probably has poor acoustics, but my current 38w amp runs them very nice at only a half of volume dial...so I wonder what am I missing from not running them with a more powerful amp.

I would appreciate some amp suggestions- for around 2k(used..).

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Tube-integrated amp for 626
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2008, 08:23 pm »
Cayin or Jolida with 80 to 100 watts fit your price range for integrated.  I don't think you have to be limited to 60 watts.  I use bigger amp on my RM 40 ribbons and they are fine.  I think there is more danger to the drivers from cranked distortions than cleanly amplified signal from bigger amps.  If you got clean power, you can't blow VMPS ribbons no matter how loud you play ( I've tried up to 105 dB which is not pleasant).

Added:  this looks good.  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1232586395&/Cary-SLI-80-Sig-upgraded

vdgraaf

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:08 pm »
Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I am open to SS integrated amps as well...although the tube are still my sweet spot:)

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2008, 07:33 pm »
Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I am open to SS integrated amps as well...although the tube are still my sweet spot:)

As a VMPS Dealer that also has Amp lines that I represent, I have 626 owners who use several integrateds to good result in no particular order:

Jolida 801RC Integrated (which is well within your budget at $1599 msrp)

NuFORCE IA-7 Integrated (msrp $1650)

Bryston B-100SST Integrated (msrp $3895) Your best bet is used market in the price range.

There is also the NuFORCE P8S preamp/Reference 8.5 Stereo Amp combo "package" which is new and is perfect for the VMPS 626/RM2/RM30 systems. (PM me for info and package availabilty)

I have very happy clients with the top three, and the directly above is too new for that, but it promises to be well beyond the others simply due to upgrade.

Compared to the ONIX (38wpc) ALL the above will "rock your world". :thumb: