42" flat panel recommendations

lcrim

Re: 42" flat panel recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:19 am »
The Pioneer Kuro are stunning PQ, I agree.   I actually removed an aside in my above post about how I felt they were head and shoulders above the rest.  They are fairly pricey however.

MaxCast

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2008, 01:23 pm »
Depending on the room.  If it is going in a room with average ambient light I'd go with a LCD.  If it will be watched at night with lights low or off I'd go with the plasma.   We bought a 720 Panasonic plasma for the bedroom and couldn't be happier, except I paid $999 instead of $499.  :?

GHM

« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2008, 02:24 pm »
I agree the room and what you plan to use the flat panel for should be the ultimate decider. I use a Samsung 720P Plasma in the BR..terrific picture quality. It always annoyed me in the great room because of the sunlight coming through nearby windows. If light hit it just right you can forget about seeing TV.  I put a Sharp Aqous 1080P LCD in its place. Much better for the situation and no image retention compared to my plasma when using it as a PC monitor. I have both connected to a HD antenna on the roof. The OTA broadcast in prime time or the news looks stunning!! No cable broadcast can touch it in PQ.

tvyankee

« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2008, 03:38 pm »
hello

if you don't need speakers or even if you do because you can buy a pair for them anyway from the manufacture this really is the best bang for the buck flat panel out there.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/brochures/S_TH-42PF11UK.pdf

good luck.

bummrush

« Reply #24 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:28 pm »
As for problems with screens,i have a Hitachi,and we have a 8' by 12' big window on the left of living room wall,on back wall 3 privacy windows spaced across top of wall 6 inches from ceiling,they are like16'' by30' or so and really there is never a light issue on screen except for a few mn in the afternoon,just being able to watch off axis with tv turned,you still get a awesome pic.Swivel stand is priceless.

BradJudy

« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:48 pm »
I bought a Samsung 650 series LCD a few months ago and I have been very happy with it for movies and TV. 

acresm22

« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2008, 06:01 pm »
Was just browsing Costco online, and I see they are now selling Pioneer Kuro...$2499 for 50" plasma.
I haven't followed Kuro pricing...is that a good deal?

bummrush

« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2008, 08:42 pm »
Believe it or not, my older Sony XBR 36" tube beats all of the High Def in pleasant viewership, a very nice picture, even up close (like 2"),         sony made a killer crt tv no doubt,,But Plasma for any number of reasons is the way to go.                             

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:15 pm »
Was just browsing Costco online, and I see they are now selling Pioneer Kuro...$2499 for 50" plasma.
I haven't followed Kuro pricing...is that a good deal?

I don't know much about the "regular" KURO, but that'd be a great price for a Pioneer Elite® KURO™ PRO-111FD.

Doublej

« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2008, 03:22 pm »
Anyone spot a sub $500 Panasonic yet? PC Richard has one at $577.

GHM

« Reply #30 on: 27 Nov 2008, 04:27 pm »

viggen

« Reply #31 on: 27 Nov 2008, 04:45 pm »
I was disappointed that the pc input didn't fit my HD IC from my computer graphics card. So I will continue to use the computer through my HD moniter.

What is HD IC?  I have the KDLV26XBR1, and I couldn't get my computer hooked up to it via DVI-HDMI.  I have to settle with VGA which isn't that bad. 

I passed by a Pacific Sales during my commute yesterday, and I decided to take a gander.  Lucky enough the "Manager Special of the Day" is the KDL46Z4100 for $1497.  This is about $50 cheaper than employee purchase price.  I couldn't this deal pass up, so I am having it delivered tomorrow.  My main source will be my VAIO PC.  So, I hope I can get the DVI-HDMI to work this time around, or I will have to get a video card with HDMI output...

BTW, Pacific Sales was preparing their BFD event when I was in the store, and they have lots and lots of good deals going.  So, if you have a Pacific Sales near you, go take a look.

edit:  Just checked Sony's website, and the KDL46Z4100 just dropped $400 MSRP from $2199 to $1799.  Employee price is 30% off MSRP.  So, employee price is now a better deal...

GHM

« Reply #32 on: 27 Nov 2008, 04:55 pm »
I had the same problem with a Hitachi 42" plasma. It refused to allow my PC to recognize it. My Samsung Plasma was a hit or miss. Sometimes it worked and other times I would have to reboot the PC to get a picture. The Sony should be just fine. My Sharp works without a hitch. If you have a DVI output, just buy a DVI to HDMI adapter. The 1080P full resolution from a PC looks terrific!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #33 on: 27 Nov 2008, 11:20 pm »
I had the same problem with a Hitachi 42" plasma. It refused to allow my PC to recognize it. My Samsung Plasma was a hit or miss. Sometimes it worked and other times I would have to reboot the PC to get a picture... The 1080P full resolution from a PC looks terrific!

Is that a TV problem or a Windows PC problem?

My wife's MacBook drives the Toshiba via a DVI > HDMI cable very nicely.

dave

GHM

« Reply #34 on: 28 Nov 2008, 12:13 am »
That's a TV problem. Some are not compatible with computers in general. I believe the majority of the newest models are all PC friendly. There must be some type of chip installed that tells the computer what the display is from what I'm guessing. My video card software displays exactly what brand of flat panel I plug up. It wouldn't give me anything on the Hitachi. After returning it, the salesman discovered that this particular Hitachi model wasn't PC compatible in the fine print of the manual.

Val

« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:01 pm »
LCD TVs' picture quality has advanced enough to be competitors with plasma and there is no comparison when you introduce weight and depth. At 42", one you should take a look at the LG 42LG60. Great reviews, less expensive than other top lines (about $1,200 at Amazon), fully modern with HDMI 1.3, full HDTV 1080p resolution, 120Hz frame rate, excellent SDTV picture quality, best picture controls including calibration mode, etc.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:06 pm »
I have seen 1080P flat panels at Newegg for $700.00. Try them out & look at the reviews.

Mike B.

« Reply #37 on: 28 Nov 2008, 09:52 pm »
Just a couple points to make. Most broadcast programs will be limited to 1080i or 720p due to bandwidth. Blu-ray will do 1080p. Be sure to pay extra for the faster scan speed. With LCD it is 120 Hz, and I believe 480 for the plasma. This makes a big difference IMO.

sabes

« Reply #38 on: 28 Nov 2008, 10:07 pm »
A little birdy told me that Panasonic is dropping prices on all current 42" plasmas to under $500 starting this Friday.  aa

any updates?!!!

GHM

« Reply #39 on: 28 Nov 2008, 11:16 pm »
Just a couple points to make. Most broadcast programs will be limited to 1080i or 720p due to bandwidth. Blu-ray will do 1080p. Be sure to pay extra for the faster scan speed. With LCD it is 120 Hz, and I believe 480 for the plasma. This makes a big difference IMO.

The only area I've noticed where the refresh rate makes a difference is on live sports. Blu rays and the like run at 24 FPS..not fast enough to be a problem with even the slowest LCDs.