Peachtree Audio Decco and Nova

Wayne1

Peachtree Audio Decco and Nova
« on: 24 Nov 2008, 05:36 pm »
I have been working on mods to the Peachtree Audio Decco.

The Decco is a very nicely designed product, that does cut some corners in parts quality to sell for the price it does.

I have upgraded most of the power supplies for the amp section, tube buffer, pre-amp and DAC.

The pre-amp op amps have been changed and the signal path coupling caps.

All in all, quite a difference in sound from stock unit.

I happened to check out the Peachtree Audio site today and I was excited to see an anouncement about a new integrated amp.

The Nova

It looks similar to the Decco but the BIG difference is it is going to use the ESS Sabre DAC chip.

There have been lots of glowing reports about the chip. The ASRC circuit is said virtually eliminate jitter, so there is no need to use any re-clocking in the source. I believe this is the first commercial release of a product using this chip. We will just have to see how they carry out the power supplies and current to voltage conversion.

From the Peachtree Audio site:

"If you’re thinking about adding a high-end D/A converter to your current system between $3,500-$10,000, you would serve yourself well to audition the Nova first. The Nova features a fixed line out so it can be used as a “remote switchable D/A converter” that can be added to any local or whole-house audio system to handle and improve any digital source."

The Nova looks to offer a great deal. Roughly $1200.00 for a world class DAC chip, tube buffer and a power amp.

I wonder how the parts quality is?  :wink:

kbuzz3

Re: Peachtree Audio Decco and Nova
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:41 am »
great to see you exploring this product.  If you can reach "reference" quality heights, or close to it with an all in one unit, i think you will have the easy to use system. I just saw the nova as well...

Wayne please keep us updated on this.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2008, 12:29 am by kbuzz3 »

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2008, 06:38 pm »
I have finally finished up the mods to the Decco and it is sounding VERY good.

The owner of the Decco sent over a pair of era Design 5 sat spekaers to use with it.

This combo is really great. The Decco is NOT a good match with the Horn Shoppe Horns.

The Horns are just TOO efficient. You have too little control of the volume with the Horn/ Decco combination.

The era just works perfect.

The mod consists of changing all the caps in the signal path, the op-amps and the power supply caps. Bypass caps are added to the all the PS sections.

BIG improvements across the board.

If there is interest in this mod I will add it to the BOLDER website. Rough retail price of the mods: $700.00

Cheerwino

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2008, 03:08 am »
Thanks for you posts on the Decco, Wayne. I had been considering one for use with my Horn Shoppe Horns (primarily as a preamp, but I would hope to use the amp stage, too).

If you have a minute, could you elaborate on how or why it might be the Decco and Horns don't match well? I don't really grasp the issues around this.  :dunno:

Thanks.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2008, 03:23 am »
Cheerwino,

It is an issue to do with the gain of the pre-amp/amp section and the efficiency of the Horns.

The Decco is primarily designed to be used with speakers roughly 87 db efficient. With more efficient speakers, the volume control is too sensitive. You cannot turn the volume very far (around 8 o'clock) before it the sound becomes TOO LOUD to listen comfortably. Ideally you would want max volume to be at 5 o'clock. That would give a very large range of volume control movement to fine tune the level to your needs.

With the Horn Shoppe Horns you would ideally want a preamp to have very little gain. It should be used as a buffer and attenuator. The power amp should also be fairly low gain.

I hope this helps.

randomalpha

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2008, 06:34 pm »
I am the customer who had Wayne mod his Peachtree DECCO. While the stock DECCO is both pleasent sounding and very flexible (ie a wide selection of input sources and a pre output), I hoped to have Wayne take it to the next level.

Now that I have had a chance to listen to the results, I would have to say that Wayne delivered in spades. All of my audiophile hot buttons have been pushed. The modded DECCO sounds more detailed and has better resolution. The surprise was in the amplifier portion. After the mods, the amp became more dynamic and demonstrated better control. 

I know that Wayne has stated in an earlier thread that he is enthusiastic about NOVA... the next model with greater power and a supposedly even better DAC. He may be right. As for myself, I am very pleased with my modded DECCO.

Philistine

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2008, 01:00 am »
The Decco is a great concept - I know David Solomon from Signal Path and they've put a lot of effort into the concept.  I installed a Sonos Music System for a friend in the UK and liked the interface, having a dock for the Sonos was a brilliant idea.  The Bolder Decco is now on my list for a second system.

kbuzz3

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2008, 09:16 pm »
curious to hear about and or read about the nova

Cheerwino

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:00 am »
Thanks for elaborating, Wayne.

I think there may be a Decco under the tree for me. I'll see soon enough.

Thanks guys!

Peachtree Audio

• Peachtree Audio
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2008, 05:09 pm »
Hi Guys,
Really happy to see the positive feedback.
The Decco was our first project and we learned much.
The Nova will be here in late Jan and will reflect the lessons learned with the Decco in 2008.
The upgrades are many and we're working to have a world-class product regardless of price.
I don't want to "sales speak" so if you have and questions, I'd be glad to help.

Best wishes and happy new year to you all,
David Solomon
Peachtree Audio

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2008, 06:08 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle, David.

Thank you for the comments here on the BOLDER Cable Circle.

I would look froward to auditioning the NOVA when it is released.

If you happen to have any spares in the vicinity of Colorado, please let me know  :wink:

Happy New Year

Peachtree Audio

• Peachtree Audio
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2008, 07:05 pm »
Hi Wayne,
Thank you for the welcome. Looking froward to hearing the mod on the Decco and would love you to hear the Nova. I am in Denver 2-3 times per year and would love to get together. Actually, my picture was taken Glenwood Springs... I try to hike Boulder when I come as it's one of my favorite places.
We'll also be at CES. If you come, please look us up.
Best wishes,
David Solomon

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:28 am »
Hello David,

Thank you for the invite to stop by at CES. I will not be attending this year. The gentleman who owns the modded DECCO might be there.

Would you have any objections if he stops by your room with the modded unit?

No problems if that doesn't work for you. I will look forward to meeting with you the next time you can make it to CO.

Peachtree Audio

• Peachtree Audio
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2009, 03:54 am »
Hello David,

Thank you for the invite to stop by at CES. I will not be attending this year. The gentleman who owns the modded DECCO might be there.

Would you have any objections if he stops by your room with the modded unit?

No problems if that doesn't work for you. I will look forward to meeting with you the next time you can make it to CO.
That work fine for me. Just tell him to stop by and ask for me.
See you in CO soon.
David