clarinet custom rca jack hookup

alpa6

clarinet custom rca jack hookup
« on: 23 Nov 2008, 03:31 am »
Im in the final stages of building my clarinet.Im adding external rca jacks instead of those that are soldered on the board.Im doing this because digikey does not have parts i need.

My question is this.There are 3 holes for eachpair of rca jacks.Im pretty sure the middle hole is the ground.This hole is a bit further forward towards the end of the board.
What colour is the 1st hole.Red or white?Then what colour is the 3rd hole.This question is mainly for the side with 3 rca jacks the input.as i don't have this part.If you know the other 2 side with 2 jacks that would be great too.

Second i bought some silver hookup wire it 23 gage silver mundorf wire.Is this gage big enough?

hagtech

Re: clarinet custom rca jack hookup
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2008, 06:01 am »
The hole near the edge of a board is a common ground (return) for both left and right inputs.  I forget which is left or right, you sort of have to follow the traces on the board.  Careful, as the board mounts upside down.

jh

alpa6

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2008, 06:31 pm »
Yes i have followed the traces i see thats the ground.I have the part for the other side.I followed whats red whats white and ground from that.Is it the same type mounting on the 3 rca part im missing?
If i hook it up the same as the 3 rca part will it work?Im confused whats the red rca jack and whats white?Does it even matter as long as i wire all 3 jacks the same?

alpa6

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2008, 06:43 pm »
Ok i was thinking about what you posted.|I flip the board upside down and look at it.The right jack will be the trace to the right?Toward the middle of the board?
Ok so is the right red or white?

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2008, 05:35 am »
Ok so is the right red or white?

Honestly, I forget.  I don't have any of the digikey jacks on hand to look at.  Besides, it doesn't matter that much, as long as the input coloring is the same as the output coloring.  Then channels will match.  The only way to tell is when you're done and try out the balance control.  You'll know if the cables are plugged in right or not.  If they are wrong, just move them. 

Minus the balance control, everything is basically a dual-mono design.  It doesn't matter which channel you decide to define as left or right.

jh