song from iTunes store and squeezebox

drphoto

song from iTunes store and squeezebox
« on: 23 Nov 2008, 12:43 am »
For the first time, I bought a song from the iTunes store. Now I know they are copy protected so they can't be burned to a CD, but it appears they can't be accessed by squeezebox either. Is this correct or am I, as usual, doing something dopey?

I was hoping to get songs to learn on the guitar and play them back through my main rig, instead of sitting in front of the computer. Dual g5 tower running OS 10.4.9 btw.

cheers

Crimson

Re: song from iTunes store and squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2008, 01:44 am »
I'm pretty sure that standard iTunes Store downloads (128 kbps) are not supported by Squeezecenter. This is not the case, however, with iTunes plus downloads (256 kbps with no DRM).

BTW, standard iTunes downloads can be burnt to CD.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2008, 04:56 am »
I tried to copy an iTunes song to a CD, but got a message that the song was not authorized for export.

Maybe I just did it incorrectly. I tried 'drag & drop' from the music folder, which works w/ stuff ripped from regular CD's. I guess you have to go through iTunes itself to burn.

jaywills

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2008, 01:58 pm »
To burn copy-protected iTunes, you first need to "authorize" your computer.  There's a "Store" drop-down menu in iTunes where that's done, IIRC.  You can then burn your iTunes onto a CD, which has the happy effect of removing the iTunes DRM.  Re-import your songs from your newly-burned disc & you can then play them on your Squeezebox.  Good luck.  Cordially,

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2008, 02:11 pm »
For the first time, I bought a song from the iTunes store. Now I know they are copy protected so they can't be burned to a CD, but it appears they can't be accessed by squeezebox either. Is this correct or am I, as usual, doing something dopey?

This is generally correct, although not all iTunes music is copy-protected...

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2008, 04:12 pm »
cool, thanks Jay.  I'd not used iTunes store in the past, as I had no interest in low rez material, but for learning songs it would be fine.

The computer was authorized. What I found out, is to burn a CD, the songs must be in a playlist and you have to burn from the iTunes app. I was just trying to drag stuff from the music folder into Toast. Told ya I was doing something dopey!  :)
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2008, 06:11 pm by drphoto »