SHORC for TrinP/HT/music 5.1

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« on: 23 Nov 2003, 06:55 am »
Obviously the LRC is great, but more would be better, at least when combining Trinaural & HT with anything other than a perforated screen & front projector.

How about a SHORC (Super High Output Ribbon Center) to fit atop or below a regular TV: 2 or 3 mids mounted horizontally at the bottom of the cabinet, centered above the mids is 1x HET, on each side of HET are 2x 5.25" woofers (4x total). Port(s) or PR wherever...Even if lowbass cutoff only low 50s, who cares, that's why God invented the LSW.  Go for high sensitivity vs. bass cutoff.  High sensitivity & output, low THD.  It could come with little shims or something to tilt down or up if neceesary.  It might be long but could be 12" or less in height.  Best thing is regular TVs OK vs. a floorstander w/perforated screen.  

Then......Bongiorno must come out with a 3-ch amp for the front array, & a 5.1 ch analog only preamp with on-board TrinP for a decent price, whatever that is.  Then dealers could jump on-board & sell the TrinP easily to the mostly HT customers out there.  

I visited one huge local high end store today.  They said their 2 channel business is almost non-existent.  BTW, the Red Rose ribbons sounded awfully good.  They look better than most of Brian's but Brian's still kill them, esp value wise.  
is...    

Wadautink?

Audio Architect

Re: SHORC for TrinP/HT/music 5.1
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2003, 03:26 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Obviously the LRC is great, but more would be better, at least when combining Trinaural & HT with anything other than a perforated screen & front projector.

How about a SHORC (Super High Output Ribbon Center) to fit atop or below a regular TV: 2 or 3 mids mounted horizontally at the bottom of the cabinet, centered above the mids is 1x HET, on each side of HET are 2x 5.25" woofers (4x total). Port(s) or PR wherever...Even if lowbass cutoff only low 50s, who cares, that's why God invented the LSW.  Go for  ...

Anyone who is really serious about music reproduction would not want a large TV between their speakers. This is a severe compromise anyway you look at it. With a retractable perferated screen you can have the best of both worlds. New perforated screens have been introduced, that do not create visual distorsion with digital projectors (LCD, DLP) the original ones did. Even for home theater having the center channel at ear level is far better than above or below a large screen TV. I realize that not everyone (myself included) can afford a front projector setup, but spending big dollars on a sound system surrounding a big screen TV is IMO a waste of money, since you will never get the true potential of those speakers.

wshuff

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2003, 03:55 pm »
I understand what you are saying but I disagree.  I've got a pair of 626Rs flanking my RPTV, with an LRC on top.  Compromise, maybe, but it sure sounds good.  While I'd love to have a front projector and retractable screen, I don't see it happening any time in the near future, unless I get some really nice PowerBall numbers.  So compromise or not, the RPTV is what I've got to go along with my sound system, and whatever I'm missing in terms of sound potential, what I'm getting still sounds superb.  Waste of money?  Not in my opinion.  It's much better than my prior setup, and well worth it in terms of my enjoyment.

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2003, 04:04 pm »
The front of my RM40's are about 3 feet in front of my RPTV and it sounds damn good to me.

If I have the option of a horizontal mini type RM40 speaker to sit on my RPTV I'm there!

Thanks for bringing it up Jim.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: SHORC for TrinP/HT/music 5.1
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2003, 08:57 pm »
Quote from: Audio Architect
Anyone who is really serious about music reproduction would not want a large TV between their speakers. This is a severe compromise anyway you look at it. ...

Yes, I know, but this is the real world.  I spent a ton on my Pioneer Elite & am not about to dump if for a perforated anything.  For critical listening I simply drape a thick piece of fleece over the entire TV screen.  If you are a real psycho you could make a wood frame filled with batting to absorb at even lower frequencies.  But the fleece absorbs the range causing the most damage.  Plus, honestly, the ribbon polar radiation is much narrower than a cone/dome anyway.  I doubt the image would be much if any better with the TV gone vs. covered with fleece.  Don't bet you could hear a difference blindfolded (TV present & covered vs. no TV).  Just my 2c.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2003, 09:19 pm »
Best improvement I made in years to my sound was to ditch the RPTV and go with a retractable screeen & FPTV.  Just night and day difference, no question.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2003, 09:47 pm »
I am much more an audio nut vs. video.  But for the record, I have never seen any RPTV equal my Elite, even though it's 3 yrs old.  Beyond its piano finish its PS & other internals are improved vs. any non-Elite Pioneer.  I admit I do not know what is generally regarded as the best FPTV currently available, but certainly it costs at least 3x more than a current Elite (almost 1/2 what they were when I purchased, & improved of course).  It is a common belief that Pioneer has the premium RPTV technology, staying ahead of the competition almost continually.  My understanding is that the very nature of RPTV is generally brighter than FPTV, at least in a room not specifically darkened for minimum ambient light in the room.  But of course the only person's belief that matters is that of the user/owner, so as usual this is only my 2c.

Unrelated new subject.  My wife picks up the flyer for the house two doors down.  With 20% down the monthly mortgage payment is about $1800, property taxes $425.  Can you believe the state of CA gets $5000 annually for property tax for an little old tract house in Petaluma & has a $40B deficit?  Anyone who believes Grey Davis was not corrupt needs their head examined.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2003, 10:45 pm »
Then......Bongiorno must come out with a 3-ch amp for the front array, & a 5.1 ch analog only preamp with on-board TrinP for a decent price, whatever that is. Then dealers could jump on-board & sell the TrinP easily to the mostly HT customers out there.

Jim ,

I agree to a point. The fp today are very good i.e. Infocus 7200 and not much more then a good dlp tv like the Samsung or Sony. Neither of these tv's will"put you there" compared to a front projector and screen that is 96 to 110  inch diagnol. When you have big sound you need a big image to go with it. Yes ,you can have a good time with a small tv and surround sound but with a pj it just "puts you in the action".

I posted something similar a while back as your comment above. I really do not see why you can not have both great video and great sound.
All the "true" audiophiles and videophiles" will balk but so what. They are not the ones that will come over to watch a movie or listen to my future system.

I think,not knowing what it will be, that the new rm-30 might be better suited for the lrc center. I like your idea of a new center. So...how can we take an rm-40 and turn it side ways or the new rm-30?????

I need an inwall to go with the rm-30-40...any ideas????

Larry

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2003, 10:49 pm »
Here's the new RM40C (center)

Complete with "up firing" 10" PR :lol:  :lol:

Also not shown are two "slots" on each side with 6.5 in woofs firing into the slots which face forward.

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2003, 10:56 pm »
Don't forget to put the pot's on one of the ends so they are easier to get to than when they are in back of it.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2003, 11:00 pm »
John you meanie!  I clicked & nothing happened!

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2003, 11:23 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Don't forget to put the pot's on one of the ends so they are easier to get to than when they are in back of it.

The pots are on top 8)

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2003, 11:30 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
John you meanie!  I clicked & nothing happened!

Hey Jim,  

Shouldn't have to click, the picture should have just been there.

Not sure how the line of ribbons would work horizontally like that, but it should have a pretty good sweet spot from side to side and with slot loaded 6.5s active and a 10" PR it could be fun.

Darn thing weighs 89#

Why use a cocktail napkin when you have Photoshop.
 :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2003, 11:32 pm »
So, is it semi-official?  Is the RM-30 a standmount, or it it a secret still?

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2003, 11:47 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
So, is it semi-official?  Is the RM-30 a standmount, or it it a secret still?

All lips are sealed until Dec 2nd :nono:   When Master Cheney will announce his newest creation.

Marbles

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2003, 12:25 am »
OK John,

Now let's see a picture with the ribbons towards the bottom of the cabinet and the FST on top of the ribbons instead of between them.  This would make the speaker even less wide.

In fact maybe even have the Elixir pod for the FST on top of the cabinet, or is that asking for too much?

jgubman

« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2003, 01:03 am »
yeah, one like this?

Marbles

« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2003, 01:05 am »
Looks good, how much you want for it?  :wink:

jgubman

« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2003, 01:09 am »
Isn't the going rate $20,000?

Marbles

« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2003, 01:25 am »
Quote from: jgubman
Isn't the going rate $20,000?

I think that's for a new PAIR..so technically I think you should only ask for $10,000  :lol:

Can you make it not quite so tall, I mean the box part.  With the 6" drivers you wouldn't need to have it so tall.

It does look like it might work, doesn't it?

It looks like it is + - 50" wide.

That would work for me, is that OK for most or too wide?  I guess if it's too wide for some there is always the LRC.