VMPS Larger

vikesfan

VMPS Larger
« on: 20 Nov 2008, 06:34 am »
Just purchased a Larger "Tallboy" off of Craigslist and I'm wondering if I can turn it on it's side as the newer versions are.  Possibly a little more WAF that way.

Anything I should look at when hooking it up?
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2008, 02:33 pm by vikesfan »

gongos

Re: VMPA Larger
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2008, 07:21 am »
Just purchased a Larger "Tallboy" off of Craigslist and I'm wondering if I can turn it on it's side as the newer versions are.  Possibly a little more WAF that way.

Trust me. There's nothing WAF about these subwoofers--up, down, left, right.

John Casler

Re: VMPA Larger
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:16 am »

Congratulations!  :thumb:

The Tall Boys are a great Score, and some seek them out.

Be aware that the bottom of the SUB is likely not as "finished" as the other sides so your WAF may suffer a bit (you could place that end up against a wall or something.

I would also add a pretty large amount of putty to the Passive Radiator since the mass of the current PR will be effectively reduced in that suspension orientation.  Try the size of a marble and give a listen.

Oh, and its VMPS (Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers) looks like a typing slip.

I might also suggest you examine the drivers closely to make sure the surrounds are in good shape.  That SUB has been around for a while and it might need some TLC.

vikesfan

Re: VMPS Larger
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2008, 02:37 pm »
I did a quick check of the surrounds on the front and they seemed OK.  Couldn't see much of the passive radiator though.  I'm very comfortable putting some oak on the case to have it look finished.  Once I confirm that all is OK I may try that.  I've got several amps to drive this beast.  What's the best way to connect to the drivers: mono to each or run a jumper between them and drive the amp bridged?

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2008, 05:34 pm »
I did a quick check of the surrounds on the front and they seemed OK.  Couldn't see much of the passive radiator though.  I'm very comfortable putting some oak on the case to have it look finished.  Once I confirm that all is OK I may try that.  I've got several amps to drive this beast.  What's the best way to connect to the drivers: mono to each or run a jumper between them and drive the amp bridged?

I'd try the "separate" route first, since bridging amps can stress the amp a bit.

If you have enough "power" running separate then that would be preferable.  If not then "strap" the binding posts, and bridge the amp.  Make sure your amp can handle a 4 ohm load when it is bridged.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2008, 04:55 am »

i would recommend standing it upright as god intended.   8)  it will sound better that way, imo.  in fact, i think vmps should still offer an upright iteration; the "low-boy" style sacrificed function for form, imo.  i know more than one owner of the newer style, that stands them on their sides to mimic the tall-boy set, up, but the slot loaded passive radiator couples better at the floor, so you awreddy have the best of both worlds w/your older sub...  laying it over would make the slot less effective, and reduce the benefits of having the drivers upright. 

ymmv,

doug s.,
happy long-time owner of a pair of the original upright larger subs, w/upgraded megawoofers...   :green:

vikesfan

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2008, 02:47 pm »
Going to try upright for the time being.  I've just moved and had to track down my patch cords for my amps - just about to go buy new ones and found out the wife had unpacked them and put them in the basement.     Everything seems to be working but the output is less than I expected.  Not sure what I should cross this over at.  Options are from 80Hz to 250Hz on my Denon 3805.  Definitely not boomy which is something I didn't want but when listening to LOTR I expected more punch than I'm getting.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2008, 05:12 pm by vikesfan »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:47 pm »
Going to try upright for the time being.  I've just moved and had to track down my patch cords for my amps - just about to go buy new ones and found out the wife had unpacked them and put them in the basement.     Everything seems to be working but the output is less than I expected.  Not sure what I should cross this over at.  Options are from 80Hz to 250Hz on my Denon 3805.  Definitely not boomy which is something I didn't want but when listening to LOTR I expected more punch than I'm getting.
running one only sub, i'd cross it as low as possible.  (the specs i see on your receiver say you can try 40hz & 60hz as well.)  not familiar w/h-t stuff, so i dunno how your receiver works.  it would be nice if, when you cross over the sub, the mains get crossed at your chosen x-over point, as well.  i don't see a built-in amp for the sub; are you running ic's from the rca sub outs to a separate amp for the sub?  and the amp doesn't have its own wolume pot and x-over choices?

as your receiver has pre outs, i would recommend using the output from the non-sub pre outs, and powering the sub w/an outboard amp/x-over.  easiest/cheapest, would be a plate amp.  if you could still set the receiver so that it thinks its using a sub from its internal sub outs, and it crosses your mains at the set x-over frequency, then set the plate amp's x-over at that same frequency for the sub.  then, you can adjust the sub's wolume as desired.  use something like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

doug s.