OB Material and Panel Thickness

drwho

OB Material and Panel Thickness
« on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:24 pm »
Hi,
I am fairly new to OB but have been sort of an audiophile for the last 20 years or so.
I have been experimenting with OB designs similar to the MJK design with baffle size of 38"H x 20"W.

So far I have been very impressed with the sound and I don't impress easily.
My question is as follows and if it's been discussed before, could someone please direct me to the appropriate thread:

Does panel thickness or material used effect the quality of the actual sound in any way?
I have been using half inch chipboard, so just wondering?

Thanks

panomaniac

Re: OB Material and Panel Thickness
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:43 pm »
Hello Doctor - welcome to planet AC. How's the Tardis?

My experience has been that thickness and material do matter.  Maybe less then in a box speaker - because the pressures are so low on open baffle - but the baffles are open large.  So it's a trade off.

I never go less then 3/4" (19mm) and have done thicker.  Hey, it's just a baffle, so splurge! It also seems that decoupling the woofers will help a bit.  E.G., use weather stripping between woofer and baffle and put rubber washers on the nuts and bolts.

Then it's up to you what material you want.  I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions here on that subject. :D

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2008, 05:18 pm »
anyone tried corian?

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2008, 05:26 pm »
I've seen corian done before for the Isiris speakers and also John K's NaO's.  Its apparently quite machinable.

I am building my baffles by laminating 3 3/4" sheets together, 2 outer ones are MDF and the one inner one is baltic birch.  I am giving the edges a 1.25" roundover so I needed the thickness.  The resulting baffles are quite heavy! 

drwho

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2008, 08:18 pm »
Josh, are you going to use carpenters glue to laminate the 3 pieces together or something else?

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2008, 08:35 pm »
Yeah, I just used standard PVA.  Nothing special.  I split the baffle between the mid and the dipole woofers. This means I have to suspend the mid/treble baffle above the woofer one, so that one is likely going to be all BB for weight reasons. 
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2008, 09:35 pm by JoshK »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2008, 11:08 pm »
Regarding material and thickness;
I have been using half inch chipboard, so just wondering?
Half inch chip board would be fine.....as long as you're using three or four layers.
With too flimsy a baffle, the driver can exert enough force on the baffle that the baffle itself will "color" the sound, almost like the baffle is another cone.
Mass, mass, mass.... and lots of it.
Some fellas have build baffles with cavities inside that can be filled with sand. This helps to "waste" the energy, and nullify it's effects.
I've heard talk of concrete used, but haven't see anybody actually use it. The common concern is that it would ring like a bell.
Maybe some concrete backer board laminated to a layer of wood with Green Glue in between. That should be dead enough.
Personally, two layers of 3/4" plywood glued together with "Titebond II" work well for me.

There's also some folks that believe a long, slow curve from the front face to the rear face of the baffle should be an exaggerated radius. Google the words "open baffle edge diffraction", you'll find more information than you can read in a single day.

Hope that helps.
Bob

Telstar

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2008, 03:19 am »
I think wood is always the best sounding material, i.e. the resonances are not negative for the ear.
But I also think that thick and heavy is the way to go and sand filling has lots of merit.
While I dont want to sandfill my baffles (too messy), i'm planning to decouple the woofer, though :)

drwho

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2008, 03:31 pm »
Thanks Bob, I will try thicker panel on future projects.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2008, 07:58 pm by drwho »