Anyone tried the PS Audio digital cable?

Hantra

« on: 16 Jan 2003, 01:14 am »
Just wondering if anyone had heard this.  From what I have read, it is supposed to sound sweet.  And the price is not bad.  Just wondering what everyone has used for digital.  

I am going to try a digital from Bolder, and I may compare them.  Anyone else already done this?

What about that Risch design that he likes?

Thx!

B

dogberry

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2003, 01:44 am »
My friend has both.  I couldn't hear any differences.  I'm keeping my Bolder cable, which was a step up from the AQ I had been using.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:13 am »
Yo dog:

Out of curiosity, what gear were you using it on?  

Thx!

B

bally

• http://www.kirrabilli.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:24 am »
G,day,
Im using Dig Extreme between Esoteric P500&Musiclabs Dac11.Was an improvement over the elcheapo cable i had before but have not compared it to any of the name brands.Used as a secondary system.
Cheers
Bally

dogberry

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2003, 05:29 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Out of curiosity, what gear were you using it on?  

It's my friend's gear, and he has a Denon 3800 DVD/DVD-A player, going into a Lexicon MC1 SSP into a Parasound 2205 amp, Bolder Cables CC89259 speaker wire to B&W 805 speaks.  He's recently bought a pair of Harmonic Tech Pro-9 Plus bi-wire speaker cables he's going to test out.

He's also using PS Audio's Lab II power cable into the amp, and the PS Audio Mini Lab into the Denon.  I'm not sure if they're better than the Bolder power cables he had been using.  The difference between power cables is almost too subtle for my ears.  Then again, 25 years of heavy metal will do that to you.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2003, 05:49 pm »
Hantra,

The differnces in digital IC's seem to be a lot less than diff's with analog IC's brand to brand and model to model.  Thats what I've found over time, at least.

I really dig PS Audio gear and am partial to it..I'm sure it's at least good.  Love to hear if you buy it and your impressions.

I remember reading on A-gon some dealer dumping his PS Audio inventory at good prices..so price might be real good from them.

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2003, 07:05 pm »
Here's a true story.
This was a few years ago when I had less resolving gear, but I actually bought a Synergistic Research Designer's Reference cable (something like $1900 retail). When I hooked it up I was just amazed by how fantastic it sounded and felt it made a huge difference to my system. I had to drag my son into the sweet spot to let him hear for himself. He replied that he was unimpressed, which really caused me to be disappointed in him because I felt he had a better ear. After some debate, he challenged me to a blind listening test between my $1900 Designer's Reference and his $1.98 Rat Shack cable. Actually, it was probably more like a $1 because it was part of pair. After agreeing to the test, I wound up not being able to identify which cable was being used.  :oops:

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2003, 07:36 pm »
Jer:

That's very interesting, and I suppose it's very gear dependant.  I can hear major differences between a PBJ, some 47 Labs, and one that Scott built for me.  I just wonder what is better out there.  Perhaps it is because of the DAC, or the transport, but there are surely major differences to my ears.

Thanks!

B

audiojerry

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2003, 09:18 pm »
Hantra,
I am a strong believer in being able to hear significant differences between cables, but sometimes the desire or the need to have to hear improvements from a component will influence the listener's perceptions. I am guilty of this myself, and sometimes I wonder if what I'm hearing is psychological more than aural.

nathanm

Rambling on as usual
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2003, 11:35 pm »
If I looked at the 'ol bank balance and saw where there used to be $1900 after buying a cable I'd probably convince myself I heard angels whispering in my ears too!  

It's ALL psychological really.  I think the brain makes a LOT of stuff up to please itself.  A shame that we spend so much money sometimes triggering these goofy synapses.  After the initial excitement wore off there's plenty of stuff I own that I don't think is worth what I paid for it, even though I am not necessarily displeased with it. Somewhere I read the phrase "you have to spend a lot of money to realize you don't need to spend a lot of money"  Maybe TNT audio or something.  Kudos to whoever wrote that.

Well Jerry I've got a newer model Radio Shack digital cable if you'd like to try it.  It, um...has gold plugs!  :wink:  It's the cat's ass I swear!

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2003, 12:16 am »
hello,

my local hifi shop in perth uses many exotic type ic and speaker cables and they really make me laugh.  after experimenting with different cables and telling me they cost up $1500 au per set they ask me if i can hear the differences.

i always have to lie  and agree with them, because i just don't hear any changes to the sound.  not sure what the problem is but it's probably my hearing.

btw i use axon speaker cable and have mad axon interconnects.  i will be building some new cables sometime this year.

regards

rod

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2003, 01:51 am »
You saved yourself $1500 for something you can't hear - what's the problem!?  :D

bubba966

Re: Anyone tried the PS Audio digital cable?
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2003, 05:41 am »
Quote from: Hantra
Just wondering if anyone had heard this.  From what I have read, it is supposed to sound sweet.  And the price is not bad.  Just wondering what everyone has used for digital.  

I am going to try a digital from Bolder, and I may compare them.  Anyone else already done this?

I've only really used 3 coax's in my setup.

The one that came with an AC-3 RF Demodulator, a Monster IDL 100, and a Bolder Silver Bullet Cryo'd coax.

I'll say that there really wasn't much difference between the cheapo that came with the demodulator & the Monster.

But upon trying out the coax I had Wayne build me...

:o  I would have never thought that a coax could make such a difference.  :mrgreen:

So I immediately ordered 2 more Cryo'd Silver Bullet coax's from Wayne. And I'll be ordering one more once I'm gainfully employed again.

So Hantra, I'd say that if you get Wayne to build you a Cryo'd Silver Bullet Digital you probably won't be retuning it. And if you need any more incentive Brian Cheney used the same digital in his setup.

Jay S

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:13 pm »
I've got a Bolder digital with Bullet Plugs.  Anyone compare this with the cryo'd digital with silver bullets?

audiojerry

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:42 pm »
btw, before I get too many guys ripping me for my stupid purchase of a $1900 cable,  :nono:  I did get full credit for it from my dealer on a trade-in for a
pair of Cary monoblocks. That was about 5 years ago anyways.

bubba966

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2003, 05:46 pm »
Quote from: Jay S
I've got a Bolder digital with Bullet Plugs.  Anyone compare this with the cryo'd digital with silver bullets?

Jay, I don't think there are many Cryo'd Silver Bullet Digital's around.

I'd asked Wayne about the differences between the Copper Bullet & Silver Bullet w/Cryo. At the time there were only 2 Cryo'd Silver Bullet Digital's around. And only one person had heard the two of them.

I'm pretty sure I ended up with the first one Wayne made. Brian Cheney got the next one. I asked BC what he thought of it compared to the regular Bullet Digital as he'd had both. He said "The new digital cable is smoother and more natural. It's in my system."

Jay S

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2003, 03:06 am »
Thanks, bubba.  I am a sucker for "smoother and more natural."  I got my buddy to buy my old Bolder digital so I could buy one with bullet plugs.  Who do I get to buy my current one with copper bullets....

By the way, I think that I'll ask Wayne to cryo any future cables I buy - I'm sure its worth what he charges.

bubba966

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2003, 06:58 am »
Jay, you don't have just one audio buddy right? What about the other HAM members?

I think that $20 to properly Cryo a cable is more than reasonable. Why wouldn't you at that price? I spend more on a movie than the cost to Cryo a cable. And the cable is going to get more use than one movie. Hell some movies have cost me enought to Cryo 10 cables...