AirPort Express Quality

junlay

AirPort Express Quality
« on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:00 pm »
I connect my PC to the AE by an ethernet cable and the AE to the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C (as a DAC) via a cheap fibre optics cable (around US$26).

I found the sound using AE is not good at all, it is noisey and scretchy. Esp when I played a 20min long classical music file in AIFF format (approx. 195MB file size), I noticed the music stopped for half a sec. in the middle. I wonder if you guys experience similar problem as well ?

Also, would it be better to use ATV as the server instead ?

Thanks!

Crimson

Re: AirPort Express Quality
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2008, 05:19 pm »
Hello and welcome!

It sounds like you have some issues somewhere in the playback chain, with both a buffering/latency problem (gaps in the music) and gain (do you have any other level adjustments you can make on your PC?). While the Airport Express is not the best in terms of it's toslink output, it's definitely not distorted or scratchy. Does the Azur have a digital volume/level adjustment?

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:03 pm »
Well, what are you playing it at? bps? that is...
I rip my cds lossless onto my Lacie Harddrive, play that through my iTunes and sending it wirelessly to my AE and it sounds great!
Can't complain...

Not as good as cd/LP playback but good.
No complaints...

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2008, 07:30 pm »
Aside from the poor quality of built-in DAC's analog output (I'm awaiting a Citypulse unit with Toslink input to try ), I've had no issues with the  iTunes / AE combo.

Preferences are set to import in Apple Lossless and toggling between Airtunes and computer speakers works like a charm, certainly compared to a very forgettable PC based application demoed to me a couple of years back - which was certainly enough to almost dissuade me from ever considering a computer based music server. 

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2008, 11:10 pm »
I've run a first gen AirportExpress to a Denon receiver using basic monoprice TOSlink cable ($15) and never experienced any scratchy/noisy/degraded sound. In fact the sound is very good. Granted for critical listening sessions jitter timing may be an issue for some with high resolution systems. But overall the sound is clean. I use the AE's now wirelessly for feeding portable systems around the house, without issue.  BTW I use AIFF files via iTunes. on Mac

The only issue with the AE was occasional wireless dropouts but you are hardwired so that wouldn't be an issue.

Can you try your AE in another system to confirm that the AE itself is not damaged?  Check your PC soundcard settings.

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2008, 12:37 am »
Oh, by the way, I use my AE to my Passive Pre via the monster mini rca to RCA....no problems in sound...
i think again, it's a matter of resolution...
T

junlay

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2008, 02:34 am »
Thanks for all your advices.

Is it true that iTunes transfers the music directly to the AE without going through the soundcard of the PC? If that's the case, then it should not be the problem of the soundcard's driver.

Btw, this might be a silly question to you, what's the benefit to use ATV as the music server instead using AE directly connected to the DAC?

Thanks again.

goosey

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2008, 03:42 am »
I use my AX's analog out to an older, high quality amp ( no digital input) that does not have a remote control for volume, so I really like using my iPod touch through the AX for the volume feature. It sounds good with my streamed computer's itunes music but not as good as my older high quality CD player. Question, if I purchased a high quality external DAC (to improve sound quality) and connected it to the Airport Express optical out, would the external DAC's RCA based analog outputs volume be adjustable, via itunes volume control, or would I loose this functionality?

low.pfile

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2008, 03:57 am »
I use my AX's analog out to an older, high quality amp ( no digital input) that does not have a remote control for volume, so I really like using my iPod touch through the AX for the volume feature. It sounds good with my streamed computer's itunes music but not as good as my older high quality CD player. Question, if I purchased a high quality external DAC (to improve sound quality) and connected it to the Airport Express optical out, would the external DAC's RCA based analog outputs volume be adjustable, via itunes volume control, or would I loose this functionality?

goosey,
Yes you can still use the iPodTouch remote to control volume with an external DAC. Since the Touch is controlling your computer iTunes, it does not matter if the airportExpress is sending the output signal via analog or digital.

I have used both outputs myself. For me, the volume on iTunes is just in-case-of-emergency (like a MUTE function). Supposedly they have corrected the method of itunes volume so it is not removing bit data
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2008, 05:45 pm by low.pfile »

goosey

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2008, 03:24 pm »
Thanks low.pfile, that's encouraging, I've been looking at low - mid priced DAC's on EBay. I'll pick something up. Any suggestions, I've never had a separate DAC before.

chrisby

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2008, 04:18 am »
I guess it depends on what you consider reasonable price, and how much functionality you'd like in one box

After several months of waffling on the subject, and almost 2 weeks delay courtesy of US Customs (15 days from Blaine Washington to Vancouver Island   :banghead: ), I received a Citypulse 7.2XII DAC today.  Originally intended solely to test the optical output from AE, this is one helluva lot of function and fun in one box for what I consider a very reasonable price.

3 inputs (optical / coaxial SPDIF and analog line level), pre-amp function with remote control - it took about 5 seconds to get used to the convenience, and the sound is excellent

I bought mine from Sasha at Obad Imports, no doubt there could be dealers in your time zone....

goosey

« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2008, 06:10 pm »
That sounds like a nice unit, reasonable price ($450) and good reviews. Now another question, with the airport express limited to 44 kbit/sec and 16 bit for its optical output, would the Citypulse 7.2x DAC at 24 bit 96kbit/sec up converter sound any better then a 15 year old Adacom DHA 600  (20 bit, 44kbit/sec.) DAC that still has great reviews, which I could pick up locally for about $125. I'm assuming either one would sound significantly better then the AX's built in DAC and analog out.

chrisby

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2008, 05:35 am »
That sounds like a nice unit, reasonable price ($450) and good reviews. Now another question, with the airport express limited to 44 kbit/sec and 16 bit for its optical output, would the Citypulse 7.2x DAC at 24 bit 96kbit/sec up converter sound any better then a 15 year old Adacom DHA 600  (20 bit, 44kbit/sec.) DAC that still has great reviews, which I could pick up locally for about $125. I'm assuming either one would sound significantly better then the AX's built in DAC and analog out.

who knows about the Adcom - I can say that it doesn't sound worse that than my 8 yr old Jolida CD player, and I can finally listen to my AX without cringing - would Srajan wax rhapsodic over it's praises - not likely when it costs less than the sales tax on one of his power cords, but somehow I can can live with that

oh yeah, the one box full function c/w  remote control is pretty easy to get used to as well